• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Tried and true way of drying cartos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzkriegTim

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2010
Shannon, Quebec, Canada
Hey all, well I put my last five new carts through their 5th refill yesterday and so I did a mass boil to get them all back into the game. Now i've got like 20 cartos sitting on the counter "drying" and I can't help but think. These things are designed to hold liquid within them so why would they dry out on their own? The last time I boiled my cartos they were still wet inside the next day, and as you can imagine the first fill was not the greatest. What with the water juice mix. So is there a way of actually drying them out inside? Or is it just something I must accept by being cheap and re-using them?

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
I don't advise putting a 510 cartomizer in the oven, Tim. The cotton filling in them is not oven-friendly. I mean in theory, you might be able to do it on a low enough temp, for a brief enough period. But I hardly think the risk to your cartos is worth it. You can dry an atty in an oven. Not a carto. You'd probably end up with the filling material being over-dried, cooked crispy...if not outright burnt.

After you boil a cartomizer out, you should bring the mouth-end to your lips & blow it out, vigorously (which is a pain I know, takes the wind out of ya sometimes). This gets most of the remaining water out. I keep doing it until I can't get any more water to come out through the connector end. Then let them stand upright on a paper towel overnight, without the white end cap. I've never had a cartomizer still be wet a day later.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
I tried boiling mine last night for the first time (I usually just throw them in a container when they get funky and eventually toss them out), because my order got lost and am waiting on another one.

I was really surprised at how quickly they dried for me after blowing them out right away after the boil. I blew through the mouthpiece end blowing out the water through the connector end then let them dry overnight on a paper towel in a bowel with the threaded end down , so say 4pm to 10am the next day. I found them completely naer dry and ready to refill.

Now mind you it IS vey dry in my house at the moment which may have helped, but thought it imposible to be so dry so quick so I destroyed one to yank out the wadding and it WAS near dry.

I've always heard it takes a couple days, or to blow them out with a hairdryer or heat gun, but I don't know..... this worked great for me.

VapeOn,
Greg

BlitzkriegTim

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2010
Shannon, Quebec, Canada
FWIW I don't clean them. I found that they taste off after a cleaning. I'm getting 3-5 weeks from a carto considering they are intended for single use. I believe I got my moneys worth and simply toss them when they go stale or greasy.

Woah, how are you getting 3 to 5 weeks out of a carto? How many fills are we talking here? Maybe it's the juice I use but I'm getting like 5 refills a piece on each of my boges then they get clogged and vapor production drops off.

Ardeagold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2010
Maryland
I blow them out from both ends...several times. Then I set them upright, mouthpiece down first...for about 12 hrs, and then blow again and reverse, putting the battery connector down for about 12 hrs. Mine are XL's tho, for the eGo, so I'm sure they have more filling to dry out.

And I can't boil them or the plastic will melt (yep tried one). I do put them in very hot water, blow out (both ends again), run through clean water (blow out some more), and repeat 2-3 times. They come out like new!

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Woah, how are you getting 3 to 5 weeks out of a carto? How many fills are we talking here? Maybe it's the juice I use but I'm getting like 5 refills a piece on each of my boges then they get clogged and vapor production drops off.

Running about 15mls through them give or take. My own juice though. 100% VG diluted by 20% with distilled water. Heavy VG and sugary mixes are atty and carto killers. My Blackberry menthol lasted 5 weeks. It seen 25-30mls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread