Tried to avoid vaping all day..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
So, let me start this with a touch of back story.. Back when I smoked analogs, I'd have maybe one or two a night towards the end, skip nights, not even notice it. Soon as I started vaping, I noticed (as did others around me) a huge improvement in my mood, and it took me till last night to realize it was because I no longer had that itch of wanting a nic fix constantly. On that note, I figured, I could ignore the analogs in my bag for days on end and not even blink, I should be able to do the same with my PV, right?

Wrong! Woke up, felt alright, if a little groggy until after breakfast as I wasn't getting my usual wake-and-vape on. Figured 'oh this is no big deal' until I realized I was gritting my teeth constantly, and pretty much on a hair trigger to the point that I came close to punching someone's lights out for looking at me funny this afternoon. Got home after dinner tonight, walked into my room, grabbed my PV from the desk drawer and took a few nice long drags of 18mg liquid (high for me at this point, normally use 6mg) and all was once again well and right with the world.

Not trying that experiment again any time soon, that much is for sure, but I eagerly await the day that I can go a day or two without vaping and not be a total ***** by day's end. No plans to actually quit vaping, just to cut out the nicotine..and now is not the time it would appear.

Anybody got similar stories? I've seen a few where PVs die/go missing on trips/run out of liquid/etc and people are forced to resort to analogs, I'm more curious if anyone has toughed it out and noticed major behavioral changes because of it, whether due to loss of a device, or nic withdrawal, or anything else.

GPSTrucker

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
On the road
I'm pretty much a chain vapor but on Friday I was really busy unloading a really big fire truck. By the time I got back into my truck and had driven about ten miles I realized I hadn't hit my PV in over four hours and hadn't even noticed. That's a huge change from huffiing three+ packs of analogs every day for over 35 years.

Gradually step down your nic level and you should be fine.

Last edited:

skymyrka

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2013
nyc
took me about 2 months to go down from 18mg to 6mg or 0mg (depends on a mood). During mornings I just don't really do it anymore until I leave the house for work... Just last week, I was rushing out and forgot my mod. Noticed when I was already driving off, panic set in, but didn't have time to go back... It actually wasn't terrible... No horrible cravings, but did feel like something was missing. I kind of been doing it on purpose here and there for the past couple of days... too soon to tell, but it feels okay. Not sure if I'd be able to do the whole day tho :)
Good luck to you!!!! :D:D:D

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
I generally chain vape like a madman all day, but was sick (passing a kidney stone) for a couple of days, and didn't vape much at all.

I don't envy you ONE BIT. Kidney stones have got to be the WORST pain imaginable - other than birth (I'm a male, so I will never know how painful it is. I hear it's excruciating). I hope you've come through it unscathed.

Speaking of pain... I had a severely impacted and infected wisdom tooth last February. I had to get it removed. That was the ONLY time in 22 years that I didn't smoke a cigarette for more than 12 hours. I went a day and a half. I was SUPPOSED TO not smoke for at least 3 days...

I haven't even entertained the thought of quitting vaping yet. But, I do imagine that the novelty may wear off at some point, and I may decide to give up vaping too. I doubt it though... :)

Edit: I have, however, dropped my nic from 24 to 6 in the past 2 months.

Last edited:

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
took me about 2 months to go down from 18mg to 6mg or 0mg (depends on a mood). During mornings I just don't really do it anymore until I leave the house for work... Just last week, I was rushing out and forgot my mod. Noticed when I was already driving off, panic set in, but didn't have time to go back... It actually wasn't terrible... No horrible cravings, but did feel like something was missing. I kind of been doing it on purpose here and there for the past couple of days... too soon to tell, but it feels okay. Not sure if I'd be able to do the whole day tho :)
Good luck to you!!!! :D:D:D

Yeah, that sounds pretty similar to what I went through, wasn't consciously going 'I need a light', but I'm so used to having the PV in my hand constantly, even with 0mg juices (once in a while, if I'm at home and chain vaping), that I'd keep looking down and going 'where is it?'.

I don't envy you ONE BIT. Kidney stones have got to be the WORST pain imaginable - other than birth (I'm a male, so I will never know how painful it is. I hear it's excruciating). I hope you've come through it unscathed.

Speaking of pain... I had a severely impacted and infected wisdom tooth last February. I had to get it removed. That was the ONLY time in 22 years that I didn't smoke a cigarette for more than 12 hours. I went a day and a half. I was SUPPOSED TO not smoke for at least 3 days...

I haven't even entertained the thought of quitting vaping yet. But, I do imagine that the novelty may wear off at some point, and I may decide to give up vaping too. I doubt it though... :)

Edit: I have, however, dropped my nic from 24 to 6 in the past 2 months.

30mg to 6mg over 3 months here, congrats to you for doing it even quicker! :) Nice to hear another good story like that. I remember when I had my wisdoms out, I think I lit up the next night after having three impacted ones cut out. Yeah, stupid, I know..but I was also back to eating basically everything on the 'don't eat this' list within 48 hours with no pain. Least now with vaping if I ever have to have the fourth one removed (supposedly didn't grow in at all) then I don't think I'll have to worry short of dislodging the packing/clot.

So, you're down to 6mg normally and still had those kind of cravings? My plan was to ramp down to 0 from 24 then think about quitting. I'm now at 12.

Maybe vaping at 0 for awhile will help. Guess I'll find out in a couple of months.

Well, that's the odd thing, I don't consider it a craving at all, I never once thought 'I want a smoke' or 'I need my PV', I was just highly irritable all day, same as when I had gone a few days without cigs. Could have more to do with the time of month than the lack of nicotine for all I know, that little fact popped into my head tonight too, but who knows, even a few drags of my PV in the mornings takes care of me for eight to twelve hours minimum, the rest of the time I'll just be vaping it cause it's there. I haven't picked up my Ego since a bit before writing the OP and I'm still perfectly chill and relaxed, so I'd bet I'll get through the night and just hit it again in the AM.

cocacola31173

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2012
United States
So, you're down to 6mg normally and still had those kind of cravings? My plan was to ramp down to 0 from 24 then think about quitting. I'm now at 12.

Maybe vaping at 0 for awhile will help. Guess I'll find out in a couple of months.

My problem with 0 nic is not the cravings but the 0 throat hit. I have some i use occasionally at night but it doesn't satisfy me mentally...that makes sense? LOL

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
As an ex 2 PAD smoker I always had a cigarette in my hand. So having a PV in my hand all the time... not much difference. I know your situation is different regarding your former smoking pattern, but if you have only been at this a couple months there's a lot about the addiction to smoking that your brain is still unlearning. I.E.: that whole urge to rip a head off thing.

I don't know how long you smoked, but give yourself a break on both the vaping frequency and the nic level issue. 2 years later I'm still using 24 mg liquids. It's not like I'm all 'jacked up' on vaping like I used to be on smoking. That reference you made to people viewing you as a more 'serene' person... My MD sees no problems at all with my nicontine intake - even with my wacky crazy 24 mg liquids. If I ever decide to change it it's no longer a moral crusade to do so.

PhoenixD

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Austin TX
As an ex 2 PAD smoker I always had a cigarette in my hand. So having a PV in my hand all the time... not much difference. I know your situation is different regarding your former smoking pattern, but if you have only been at this a couple months there's a lot about the addiction to smoking that your brain is still unlearning. I.E.: that whole urge to rip a head off thing.

I don't know how long you smoked, but give yourself a break on both the vaping frequency and the nic level issue. 2 years later I'm still using 24 mg liquids. It's not like I'm all 'jacked up' on vaping like I used to be on smoking. That reference you made to people viewing you as a more 'serene' person... My MD sees no problems at all with my nicontine intake - even with my wacky crazy 24 mg liquids. If I ever decide to change it it's no longer a moral crusade to do so.

What an A W E S O M E attitude Rickajho!!! I hope I can "take to my heart" some of these ideas--i believe you are also saying here "it's not a race". Thanks so much

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I typically go through 3mls a day @ 12 nic on average. This past Saturday I was really busy at kids soccer games and didn't vape hardly at all until after dinner. It was much less of a big deal than I thought. Yes, I did notice the cravings but they weren't nearly as bad as with cigarettes. I only vaped about .75mls on Saturday and it was no big deal.

I've gone several hours in the AM without vaping too. That hasn't been that big of a deal either. But when I'm working and concentrating hard I really need the nic. It makes a big difference with my focus.

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA
i was a closet smoker, never wanted anyone to know i smoked. even washed my hands and face 20 times a day. smoked about 5-7 swisher sweets a day. before that was about a pack of reg analogs a day. switched to swishers to quit analogs lol ya just a lateral shift was all.

anyway, i was used to going long periods of time without smoking and learned to spot the grumpy head of a nic fit and watched myself. now with vaping, i vape all day but i'm still a closet vaper. i am getting better at not hiding, but i think its just leftover behavior from the nasty analogs. if there are long times without a vape it doesn't seem to be as bad so it really doesn't bother me. the fact i can sneak a vape and not stink is what i think is causing or helping with the all day vaping. i do need to step my nic down though, the 18mg gets to me sometimes.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
What an A W E S O M E attitude Rickajho!!! I hope I can "take to my heart" some of these ideas--i believe you are also saying here "it's not a race". Thanks so much

Exactly. After 30 years of smoking...?

This comes up a lot, mostly in newbie threads. A lot of people have this mind set that they must quit smoking - and we all know that's a good thing - but immediately jump on "must quit nicotine!!!" too. That whole "I'm a bad person..., monkey on back..., moral character flaw..." matter. Well ya know how great all those other BP "approved" methods work out with an enforced quit nicotine date? Oh yeah - not so much - BP got those time restrictions and limitations on their products use removed. My lord, if it's no longer an issue for something like Nic-O-Gum & patches then what's the rush?

I asked my MD to run those tests to check my nic levels because I was curious. He won't do it - doesn't see it as medically relevant. So...

Drop your nic level when you can or when you want. But no - there is no deadline, rush or race to do it - unless you push the issue as a personal goal. But for peteys sake, if dropping your nic level is gonna drive you back into cravings and smoking - CHANGE... IT... BACK...!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread