Tripod RTA Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan6Two

Verified Member
Jan 15, 2018
NoVA
So I'm going a little crazy here with this atty. For the life of me I can't figure out why I'm getting a lot of spit back - it's like juice is coming up out of the drip tip.

I've tried simple and complex coils; different types and thickness of cotton; different coil ID, wrap, and resistance; mtl inserts and no insert; 3.5mL kit and stock; and chimney reducer and no reducer.

All to the same effect. Drinking juice. I've been rebuilding RTAs for 4 years using Kayfuns, Taifuns, and Squapes. So, I ithave experience, Nd I believe it must be user error somewhere... just can't pinpoint it :(

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
So I'm going a little crazy here with this atty. For the life of me I can't figure out why I'm getting a lot of spit back - it's like juice is coming up out of the drip tip.

I've tried simple and complex coils; different types and thickness of cotton; different coil ID, wrap, and resistance; mtl inserts and no insert; 3.5mL kit and stock; and chimney reducer and no reducer.

All to the same effect. Drinking juice. I've been rebuilding RTAs for 4 years using Kayfuns, Taifuns, and Squapes. So, I ithave experience, Nd I believe it must be user error somewhere... just can't pinpoint it :(
Hi mate,
Can you post a photo of your current build along with the ID of the coil and the PG/VG ratio of your juice?

Thanks
I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
To say what I think @sonicbomb is saying in a longer way:
Spit back happens when too much juice is entering the chamber.
It’s not a problem at the coil it’s a problem at the wick well. They’re letting too much juice into the chamber.
the wicks act as plugs so you’ve got to make sure that the wick wells are completely full of cotton.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It’s a
^^^ that's the only thing I can think of... not enough wick in the well for this atty. I've tried, tested, and removed all other variables (I can think of). What's weird is the amount of juice I get on the drip tip. Havent experienced this before with any other atty.
n unusual design. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a deeper juice well on any RTA before. It may actually be a bit touchy about the amount of cotton. This may be a situation where you pack it almost but not quite tight enough to produce dry hits. The cotton will need to fill the top of each juice well to plug that, completely cover the juice opening on the side, and may need to fill the rest of the wells as well. It’s a lot of cotton. It will likely need do be though lightly prewetted and may even need a rest period after wicking like a coil cartridge to give the juice time to saturate all that space in the juice wells.

you likely definitely want to watch more than one video on how people are wicking this thing. My suspicion is once you figure it out it will be unusually good at something. It’s an unusual design.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest

I tried 80VG/20PG, 70VG/30PG, and 50VG/50PG - same issues.

I have two Tripod's (a batch 1 and a 2). Are you using the drip tip that came with the Tripod? I did notice that with the included DT some juice coming out of the DT at higher wattages (MTL and DL). After I replaced the DT no problems at all. Perhaps try one of your other DT's.

Of the atty's you listed the Tripod deck is most similar to the Kayfun 5 deck. Make sure none of your wick is touching the center AF block. There should be a gap on the shoulders of your wick. You can move the wick tails away from the center AF block to get a gap. Pretty much the same wicking as a K5, Prime, KM3 or KFL19.

ETA: I use the same ratio juices.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Here is what I mean by "gap"...

See how there is a gap coming out from the wick shoulders on both sides under the coil? That is what you want to do with your Tripod. This isn't my photo nor is it from a Tripod. I pulled it from the KFL19 thread. Doesn't matter because the wicking is Kayfunesque on the Tripod. I like to have my coil raised ~1.5 - 2mm above the AF.
-1.jpg

As far as wick tail length, they should just touch the bottom of the juice wells. No more and no less. You're familiar with Kayfun's so I'm guessing you know exactly what I mean.

Hope that helps.

Steam_Bern

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2013
In my own little world
Here's my Tripod build. 7 or 8 wraps of 26ga 316L stainless ground wire, 3mm ID, 0.70 ohms and wicked with rayon. Vape is smooth as silk with no leaking of spit back. But yeah, you definitely need to fill the juice wells with enough wick to keep them from flooding. Hope's this helps.

20191102_205042.jpg
20191102_204950.jpg
20191102_205042.jpg
20191102_204950.jpg

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
@Ivan6Two , I just rewicked one of mine and figured I would shoot some pic's. Maybe they'll help.

My coil is a simple 26g 316L at 0.45Ω and is ~2mm above the AF.
IMG_1287cr.jpg

Deck and coil from above. I have the 1.8mm AF insert installed on this one.
IMG_1288cr.jpg

Wicked. You can see the gaps I mentioned in my previous post under the wick shoulders. You want to make sure your wick is not resting on the center block. It's a Kayfun build in the Tripod.
IMG_1289cr.jpg

Vapes great and works fine with the included DT. No juice coming out of the DT. Zero issues.
IMG_1292cr.jpg

Hope that helps!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread