Status
Not open for further replies.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
Ok just had something weird happen. Put a Triton tank on one of my batteries and the battery buttton flashed like it was dead. Struck me odd as this battery just recently came off charge. Tried the same tank on all four of my batteries with the same results. And also tried another tank on all four batteries and they worked fine.

So what's up with this one???

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I pulled out my big digital multimeter and did some testing. A charged 650mAh Triton battery gives 4.2 volts. My other battery that I've been hitting since 10 this morning is showing 3.7v.

The battery flashes when there is a short, and stops flashing when the button is released. Is this what you are seeing?

I'm guessing when the battery perceives a very low resistance, ie short, it'll flash.

Your tank/coil head has a short. Take the coil head off the tank. Put the tank without the head on the bat. You should just get a normal light, as if you pushed the button on a bat with nothing on it. If the light flashes, the tank is shorted.

If not, it's the coil head. Put another coil head on that tank, it should work normally. then toss the shorted out coil head.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
I pulled out my big digital multimeter and did some testing. A charged 650mAh Triton battery gives 4.2 volts. My other battery that I've been hitting since 10 this morning is showing 3.7v.

The battery flashes when there is a short, and stops flashing when the button is released. Is this what you are seeing?

I'm guessing when the battery perceives a very low resistance, ie short, it'll flash.

Your tank/coil head has a short. Take the coil head off the tank. Put the tank without the head on the bat. You should just get a normal light, as if you pushed the button on a bat with nothing on it. If the light flashes, the tank is shorted.

If not, it's the coil head. Put another coil head on that tank, it should work normally. then toss the shorted out coil head.

I'll give that a try when I get home. Sux because this is a brand be head. Worked fine earlier today.

Just curious what would cause the tank to short of if that is the issue?

Tap'd from my G2

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
I'll give that a try when I get home. Sux because this is a brand new head. Worked fine earlier today.

Just curious what would cause the tank to short of if that is the issue?

Tap'd from my G2

(I figured a typo from the G2, lol)

It's not like an engine that degrades, sputters and dies, of course. Electical stuff either works, shorts, or does nothing. And does it suddenly.

You say it did work, but when you put it back on, it shorted (assuming a short, which the test will find). Where was the tank? in your pocket, your pc bag? It might have picked up something, a leg of a staple, a bit of a strand of wire that is shorting it out. Or a jolt could cause something to touch that shouldn't be. Looking close, there ain't a hell of a lot of clearance in that center tube. Remember, it's got the air port center, then one conductor surrounded by the other conductor.

Or, if you torque the tank down onto the bat with 45ftpounds, then you might have crushed the insulator. A bit snugger than snug is good for everything Triton. Look under the tank. There's the center conductor with the air hole and the screwdriver slot. Then, between the center and the tank is a whitish (nylon?) insulator. It is probably the shape of a washer, and it looks thin. everything should be concentric. If you see the insulator more on one side, that's not good.

Any basic ohmmeter will confirm the test from my other post. Harbor freight has a 7 function multi tester for $5.50.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist

Thanks for the tip. Just tried the tank without the head and battery stayed solid. Put on another head and it works. Maybe I can get a warranty replacement on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread