Triton tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT
I may have finally made it to my first head replacement. My purple tank is dedicated to Tribeca and I have run well over 30ml through it since I got it a month ago. I am starting to get that dreaded burnt taste. I am tempted to try and rinse/dry burn it though to see if it will go a bit longer. I have a pack of spare heads though. What say the hive mind? Swap or Fiddle?

If you have never cleaned that tank/coil before, I see no reason not to give it a try. True however that it may be at the end of its effective life. Keep in mind that as long as the coil is firing, it is the wicks causing the issue. The most common point of the burn is where the wicks encounter the coil itself. I would remove the coil/wich assembly, carefully remove the silicone sleeve so as to expose the contact point of the wick, and soak it in a shallow saucer in vodka, gently swirling it around to try and dislodge any "char". True, coils are pretty inexpensive, but IMHO nothing wrong about trying a little TLC first before discarding. One of my Triton tank coils is almost 1 1/2 month old, and have probably vaped well over 25-30ml through it and it is still going strong. Coils can last a long time...or go out pretty quick, that really varies on a number of factors including the ejuice used.

BTW, I know many folks recommend a dry burn after cleaning, but I think that you greatly increase the risk of furhter burning the wicks...I just let it dry out well, re-fill it, and deal with a few initial "funky" puffs...not that big a deal, and certainly safer for the wick/coil assembly.

Last edited:

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
I've had my Triton for a month as well, and I've gone through an entire 30 ml bottle of Torque, plus a few more ml. I've rinsed out the tank and wicks at least once, but the flavor began to mute and mutate, so I decided to change out the heads.

Since I had previously cleaned them out, I decided to pull the one that I was discarding apart and look at the coils: even tough the wicks were rinsing clean, the coil was gunky. I couldn't dry burn it, since I had pulled it all the way out, but even with just cleaning, the coils themselves will gunk (cooked juice).

I never have gotten a dry hit off of any of the tanks, for which I'm thankful for. But a month is a good, solid time on one head, and the replacement heads are relatively inexpensive. And Torque is the lighter juice than my other mainstay, Turkish.

Shufflefield

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Columbus, OH, USA
I took the head off last night after using it all day to get the last of my Tribeca (form that bottle anyway) used up (waste not want not). I gave it a good rinse, took a good look at the wicks and said to myself "I bought replacement heads for a reason...". So I just went with the new head. If I get another month out of this (or even 3 weeks), it's 2.50 well spent.

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT
I agree jefsview and Shuttlefield. Some ejuices are much tougher on the coils themselves (not so much the wicks) as far as leaving a baked on residue. I have one coil that has gone well over a month now and going strong, but also have one that only was good for about 2 weeks...but based on the ejuice I was vaping in it, no real surprise or disappointment.

Soaking the coil in vodka may loosen up build up on the coil a bit better than just rinsing it (my normal proceedure) but at the end of the day, the coils after all are not meant to last forever (wouldn't that be nice!). Then again, its no different with cartomizers...some thicker darker ejjuices will kill a cartomizer in 2 refills.

To me, $2.50 a pop to revitalize your Triton tank is pretty darn economical. When I look back at paying $15 for 5 pre-filled cartomizers (which was about 3.5ml of ejuice!) for my old ecig...whew! That wasn't cheap!

Even when using the blank G6 cartomizers, I get about 4 "optimal" fills (many go further, but not at full performance) that comes out to about 20ml of ejuice fills at $8.99 for a five pack...not bad, but nowhere close to the easily 30+ml I can get optimal performance from 1 Triton tank at $6.99. Even if I never replaced coils that's a better value...now add in revitalizing that $6.99 clearomizer with a $2.50 coil...and getting another 30+ml of optimal vaping (and only $2.50 for subsequent replacements), and the Triton tank simply shines. I'll not begrudge putting in a new coil when normal rinsing fails to clear it.

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
I have an interesting issue with the mouthpiece/tip of one of my Triton tanks -

The part that threads onto the battery came off the plastic part, and 2 of the 4 ridges inside (the raised parts that run down the length of the mouthpiece) broke. The tank was leaking a little bit the last week or so. I thought it was from the top because it was I. My pocket laying on its side for a while. A few days later I realized it was coming from where the mouthpiece screws in. Thought the rubber gasket was breaking down.

When I went to refill the tank last night and the mouthpiece came off but the threads stayed in, I finally realized what was actually happening all along.

Has anyone had this happen before? I've been using this tank for about a month now, and it's my all-day vape tank. I fill it at least twice a day. Is this common? Maybe I've been over-tightening it? I haven't had a single burnt hit with the tank, so I was assuming it wasn't over-tightened.

Does Halo or anyone else sell replacement tips? The rest of the tank is still good, so I'm not going to toss it. If its common and I can get tips for a decent price (cheaper than buying new tanks), I'll buy a few.

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT
I have an interesting issue with the mouthpiece/tip of one of my Triton tanks -

The part that threads onto the battery came off the plastic part, and 2 of the 4 ridges inside (the raised parts that run down the length of the mouthpiece) broke. The tank was leaking a little bit the last week or so. I thought it was from the top because it was I. My pocket laying on its side for a while. A few days later I realized it was coming from where the mouthpiece screws in. Thought the rubber gasket was breaking down.

When I went to refill the tank last night and the mouthpiece came off but the threads stayed in, I finally realized what was actually happening all along.

Has anyone had this happen before? I've been using this tank for about a month now, and it's my all-day vape tank. I fill it at least twice a day. Is this common? Maybe I've been over-tightening it? I haven't had a single burnt hit with the tank, so I was assuming it wasn't over-tightened.

Does Halo or anyone else sell replacement tips? The rest of the tank is still good, so I'm not going to toss it. If its common and I can get tips for a decent price (cheaper than buying new tanks), I'll buy a few.

Halo doesn't, but I do believe that a Kanger T2 tip is compatible, and I have seen them available from some vendors, though no name immediately comes to mind.

I have not had this happen with any of my 5 Triton tanks, the oldest being over 2 months old now, but do keep in mind, while pretty sturdy, they won't last indefinitely. Eventually the repeated heating/cooling will cause them to crack. In general, you should not screw on the tip past being "snug", keep in mind that there is a fair amount of heat generated and expansion occurs.

J Guns

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Fresno, CA USA
I had Shamrock in a mini tank for about 2 weeks. No problems at all. Only issue was it was difficult getting the smell out of it when I wanted to try a new flavor. I'd imagine a Triton tank would be easier as you could change the coil.

Yes and no so far as getting the taste out, boil em and soak em in 50-50 water vinegar afterwards to get out lingering flavors, IMO. That is, the Triton tanks sans coil, not the minis.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I've only just recently switched to using Triton batteries and clearomizers. I've just been using one clearomizer so far over the last 3 days. So far, everything is working out pretty well. No leakage issues. Vapor production is good, and flavor delivery with the not so great juices I'm stuck using for the moment is also pretty decent. I have to use all VG juices now, so I can't use any of Halo's excellent juices that I fondly remember from back when PG didn't cause me any issues. I've used a limited supply I had of Cignot's Basic Sweet Naked flavored all VG juice in this setup. It worked out pretty well. I'll be getting more of that juice in a short while here and look forward to getting continued better results with it.

My replacement coil assemblies I bought from Halo for these Triton clearomizers are the 2.6 - 2.8 ohm ones, which I believe are slightly higher resistance than the ones my clearomizers came with, but I'm not entirely sure. I prefer to not run things too hot, as I like my equipment to last a good long time - if at all possible. I also prefer to not get the tip of my tongue semi-burned when I'm vaping heavy, which has occasionally happened in the past with other devices. I'm going to be getting and trying out SI's Volt X2 - Mini T3 clearomizers soon, just to see how they compare with the Triton clearomizers when using all VG juices. They are bottom coil and run a little cooler, but also reportedly work pretty well with heavy VG juices.

The Triton and its clearomizers seem to be pretty good gear. I'm glad the Triton batteries are available in the short 400mah (55mm) and 650mah (75mm) batteries sizes, which is very convenient for pocket carry and use. I just wish the same Triton batteries were available in an automatic version. I was tempted to try out the SI Volt X2 automatics, but they are surprisingly long compared to the Halo Triton batteries with the same threading, so I sadly had to take a pass. Will Halo be coming out with an automatic version of the Triton? That'd be an ultimate setup for me. I loved my old automatic ECHO batteries. They held up well, and were always reliable. Unfortunately, the limited types of cartomizers and clearomizers for them were just not very VG friendly. Unless I find good adapters for them I will have to give them up.

Does anyone know if a Kanger T2 mouthpiece will fit a Halo Triton Tank? I keep getting bad luck with the mouthpieces on my replacement tanks falling apart from the threading so I'm hoping these mouthpieces are better quality and will mate well. I've ordered 2 from VaporAlley.com, but was just wondering if any ones tried it yet?

boxcarmike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
Henderson,NV
Does anyone know if a Kanger T2 mouthpiece will fit a Halo Triton Tank? I keep getting bad luck with the mouthpieces on my replacement tanks falling apart from the threading so I'm hoping these mouthpieces are better quality and will mate well. I've ordered 2 from VaporAlley.com, but was just wondering if any ones tried it yet?
Yes, they will fit, however, the mouthpiece problem is not Halo specific, Reviews on Kanger t2's and clones have mentioned the same problem with the plastic mouthpieces. Truth is this problem surfaced BEFORE the Triton Tank was released. The only sure way to avoid the problem is the aluminum tips, which are not to everyone's liking.

Yes, they will fit, however, the mouthpiece problem is not Halo specific, Reviews on Kanger t2's and clones have mentioned the same problem with the plastic mouthpieces. Truth is this problem surfaced BEFORE the Triton Tank was released. The only sure way to avoid the problem is the aluminum tips, which are not to everyone's liking.

Dang, and I thought about ordering an aluminum tip too.. But I don't think I want an aluminum piece so I'll just have to see how they work. I have a feeling they're using the same tips then.

boxcarmike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
Henderson,NV
The aluminum tips aren't for everybody, metal in mouth or specifically Chinese metal in mouth causes some people here a problem. I'm also a chain-vaper at times, first time with the alum tip I couldn't believe how hot it got. So $1 an incident is a cheap price to pay for a work-around to the problem.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I've not experienced this mouthpiece issue. What exactly happens? If the problem is persistent, maybe you are just not screwing in the mouthpiece straight, or with too much force? They really only need to be flush with the tank body and lightly hand tight. If changing how you screw in and out the mouthpiece doesn't help, then you may need to try a different model clearomizer that is still compatible, like SI's Volt X2-T3 or X2 - Mini T3? They are a bottom coil/feed model, but the Mini in particular seems to be well liked. If you can just get the Kanger or Halo mouthpieces in quantity, at a decent enough price, then you may just have to order a bunch, expecting some to fail early, but a few others should hopefully last you. The aluminum tips also seem worth a try if they are cheap enough. Couldn't hurt.

I've not experienced this mouthpiece issue. What exactly happens? If the problem is persistent, maybe you are just not screwing in the mouthpiece straight, or with too much force? They really only need to be flush with the tank body and lightly hand tight. If changing how you screw in and out the mouthpiece doesn't help, then you may need to try a different model clearomizer that is still compatible, like SI's Volt X2-T3 or X2 - Mini T3? They are a bottom coil/feed model, but the Mini in particular seems to be well liked. If you can just get the Kanger or Halo mouthpieces in quantity, at a decent enough price, then you may just have to order a bunch, expecting some to fail early, but a few others should hopefully last you. The aluminum tips also seem worth a try if they are cheap enough. Couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the tips Billy! I can assure you the tips are threading in correctly, and not being over tightened.. My first replacement tank literally popped off the threads around halfway to tight, and I could tell it was threading on correctly. The other replacement tank lasted me a week before coming undone when trying to get the tank out of my triton case. It's frustrating, but I'm going to try some of the volt tanks as I've been wanting to try a bottom coil tank on here since the top coil seems a little too hot for me. Hopefully they are a little more durable because for some reason I'm not having any luck with the halo replacement mouthpieces.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
One other thing I was wondering, do you hold your Triton in your mouth, hands free, with the mouthpiece clenched between your teeth very often? If you use the longer/higher mah (heavier) batteries that way, I was wondering if that might weaken the plastic threads? It sounds like you've barely used some of your tanks before the mouthpiece has failed, so probably not.

Let us know how you like the Volt X2 clearomizer tanks on the Triton. I think the Mini version on a 400mah Triton would be really compact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread