Status
Not open for further replies.

***Shannon***

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Bucks County, PA
Hi all-
I haven't posted in a long while. I am in need of some suggestions as to what could be going in with me all of the sudden with my vaping.

Within the past two months I have a very hard time breathing when vaping. I was just thinking at first that I was getting sick or something. Then, I stopped for a few days completely and I felt better so I started again. The evening of the first day back to vaping, I laid in bed trying to go to sleep feeling like an elephant was sitting on my chest and that my throat was closing up. It was very scary. So scary that I have now been to the pulmonologist as well as the cardiologist (because the chest heaviness was bad). My lungs are clear and heart is in good condition. Soooooo....I went and purchased a ZERO nicotine juice thinking that maybe it was the nicotine. NOPE.....that didn't work either, I have used my e-cig only on the past two Saturdays and it has zero nicotine liquid in it and I still have the same problem after the day of vaping. I feel like I am struggling to breath. It is horrible. It takes a day or so to subside. I really enjoy my vape. I quit analogs on April 9, 2011 and have been vaping every since. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could possibly be? Maybe I should try just VG Juices....would that make a difference? Please help....any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

LeftofCenter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
Front Royal, VA, USA
I have had the same kind of issue happen before and the only thing I came up with was I had been vaping a juice I had never had before.

I usually vape max VG and this was a 50/50 in a flavor I hadn't had before. Not sure if it was the PG or the flavoring.

Could have been something like that in your case maybe?

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Sounds like what I experience with any juice over 60% VG, really anything over 50/50 can cause issues for me depending on how much of it I vape.
Since you've already been to the Dr(s) and all is well, could be your body telling you it is time to quit vaping, always listen to what your body says.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Sounds like a possible allergic reaction. Figuring out what to can be scary and difficult. Could be vg, could be pg, could be a flavoring.

I think I would try unflavored pg. Then unflavored vg. If you still don't have an answer, then I would suspect a flavoring.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I've had this happen twice. Once with a certain flavoring, my favorite at the time :(, and once with Walmart (Humco) VG. So much easier to figure out what it is when you DIY, but there's still some trial and error to go through. Only use 80/20 but it was still a pretty hefty reaction breathing-wise both times. Tried WL's VG and the problem went away. Months after the incidents, I tried mixes of the old flavoring and old VG and had the same bad reaction both times. Good luck figuring it out, I'm sure you will nail it down.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
I have to keep my VG at 50% Max otherwise this happens to me and it is very scary so sympathy on that and hope you can alleviate it while you hopefully find an answer. Now for the boring stuff is this happening with the same liquid you have used for a while, what ratios are your liquids and are you aware of any changes to the makeup of the liquid recently if it's a liquid you've used for a while. Have you started using a new device or are vaping in a new way such as going from mouth to lung to direct lung, are you buying from a new place sadly lately ive been hearing about reputable liquid being purchased and mixed with cheap rubbish by some disreputable venders. Whilst I fully understand the panic of what happened and know it doesn't just go away in a day or so really need more information to hopefully help or at least make it easier to find a solution to this hope your better now.

Podunk Steam

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2014
United States
I'm sensitive to PG and have experienced the same effects. I went through joint pains, coughing worse than I did when I smoked, heart racing a lot of it felt like I was coming down with the flu.
Some folks are sensitive to other components of e-liquids, some to types of flavorings, some to VG, some to PG like me.....
It may be worth some DIY materials and testing yourself to see what it is causing the issues.

***Shannon***

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Bucks County, PA
I have to keep my VG at 50% Max otherwise this happens to me and it is very scary so sympathy on that and hope you can alleviate it while you hopefully find an answer. Now for the boring stuff is this happening with the same liquid you have used for a while, what ratios are your liquids and are you aware of any changes to the makeup of the liquid recently if it's a liquid you've used for a while. Have you started using a new device or are vaping in a new way such as going from mouth to lung to direct lung, are you buying from a new place sadly lately ive been hearing about reputable liquid being purchased and mixed with cheap rubbish by some disreputable venders. Whilst I fully understand the panic of what happened and know it doesn't just go away in a day or so really need more information to hopefully help or at least make it easier to find a solution to this hope your better now.

I have been using the same juices for a very long time, no changes that I am aware of with the make-up of them. As for the device, yes, I did start using a device recently that was new. I purchased it from a new store local to where I live, sometime in March I believe. Maybe I will try to go back to my other device and see if that is the issue, I have also ordered a 100% PG liquid. I am capable of doing without my vape during the week. But on weekends when I may be socializing or possibly having a few drinks, then I REALLY want my vape. I will see if not using the new device and using the PG only liquid helps.

***Shannon***

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Bucks County, PA
I'm sensitive to PG and have experienced the same effects. I went through joint pains, coughing worse than I did when I smoked, heart racing a lot of it felt like I was coming down with the flu.
Some folks are sensitive to other components of e-liquids, some to types of flavorings, some to VG, some to PG like me.....
It may be worth some DIY materials and testing yourself to see what it is causing the issues.

I wouldn't even know where to begin with DIY.

***Shannon***

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Bucks County, PA
Sounds like it's your body telling you it is time to quit vaping.

I realize this may also be the case. But as I said....it is so hard when socializing or having a few drinks on weekends occasionally. I certainly do not want to have ANY urge to pick up an analog.....that is for sure. It's been way too long.

Reactions: Robino1

***Shannon***

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Bucks County, PA
High VG based liquids gives me that heavy chest feeling, hard to breath like a ton of bricks on my chest. I only mix 50/50 now and so far so good. Check your liquid to see how much VG it has. It might be as simple as switching to a lower VG based juice. Hope you feel better soon.

The one company doesn't show ratio on their site (not sure why). The other company I order from is 60VG/40PG Mix.

I do feel better as long as I am not vaping :( as I said, I do fine without it all week with an occasional urge, but on weekends its really hard. Thank you for your input.

Reactions: UncleMike

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I had an allergic reaction to a flavoring. Hard to breathe and hives all over my chest. It was either a peach or a cranberry flavoring. I chickened out on continuing to narrow it down as I didn't want to chance anaphylactic shock.

I just don't vape anything with either of those.

Allergies can develop at any time. So even if you vape something for years, you can still suddenly develop an allergy.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Menthol is an easy one just buy some menthol crystals a bottle of pg & VG and you can have great menthol very easily. I know making your own liquid looks daunting when you first think about it but it really isn't I can knock up a litre of liquid in an hour at quite a relaxed pace and the benefits are not just financial but quality as well. Is making your own liquid a possibility at all as that would be a good step, but if not ask the maker of the menthol what the ratios are and if needs be water it down a bit to lower the VG if it's above 50%. If you do direct lung inhale switch to mouth to lung and see if that helps, I know direct lung is often cited as better but in my personal experience it was worse then mouth to lung.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread