True or False / Amber glass bottles vs Clear glass bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Hi folks , i just saw a post that i would like to get opinions on as i don't know if there is any truth to it , whats your opinion?

Thanks

Personally I would not use the amber glass bottles, I would opt for clear glass bottles instead.

The reason is that the Amber bottles seem to impede the steeping process dramatically, which is great if your liquid is already steeped to perfection, not so great though if you mixed it and are waiting to vape it.

In my experience of using clear and amber glass bottles, both kept in the same dark place, the steeping times are drastically different.
The amber bottle mixes took roughly double the time to steep of the clear glass bottles, initially I just thought it was a case of coming up with bad recipes, but after trying the same mixes in different bottles it became apparent that it was down to lack of steeping.

I think Nicoticket veterans have noticed a similar occurrence when Nicoticket switched from clear plastic bottles to amber glass bottles.

LisaR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2012
Martinez, CA
I don't agree. Light is the enemy of eliquid, but it doesn't have much beneficial effect on steeping. Things that do affect steeping are oxygen, mixing/shaking, temperature, and time. Light can degrade the nicotine and flavors quite quickly. I think you are definitely better off with darker glass bottles.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Not sure it's a True or False question.
While I do use amber bottles and have used both clear plastics and clear glass bottles, the clears were always more for usage. Amber for storage and steeping (aging).

Clear allows light (UV?) into the liquid. Degrades the nicotine and possibly the flavors. And since I make 120ml 250ml and 500ml mixes, I would prefer not to worry about transferring liquids to other bottles.

I also don't sit in front of a bottle with a timer and say "It's steeped".

Time makes the wine.. but it's a clock with no hands.

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Smokane, WA
Hi folks , i just saw a post that i would like to get opinions on as i don't know if there is any truth to it , whats your opinion?

Thanks
Doesn’t make much sense, but would be real easy to give it a try! I know ejuice does steep a lot faster sitting on a computer hard drive. :)
I use mostly clear bottles because they are about a third of the price, you can see the e-liquid, and my bottles dont sit out in the sun light much.

A while back a forum member experimented with leaving nic juice in the sun light, and there was a slight degradation of the nic%.
Im guessing the same results under a light bulb would take a few years time.

Reactions: Izan and herb

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Doesn’t make much sense, but would be real easy to give it a try! I know ejuice does steep a lot faster sitting on a computer hard drive. :)
I use mostly clear bottles because they are about a third of the price, you can see the e-liquid, and my bottles dont sit out in the sun light much.

A while back a forum member experimented with leaving nic juice in the sun light, and there was a slight degradation of the nic%.
Im guessing the same results under a light bulb would take a few years time.

The liquids i intend to store would only see light when opening the freezer , other than that the ones out of the freezer would be in complete darkness.

coilburner

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
logically, darker would be better for higher strengths of nic. but for the 3mg/ml everyone is rolling around with, i don't think it really makes much of a difference.
Why would you say that? if anything I would say the opposite of that because UV light degrades nicotine and in something that's only 3mg that could make a REALLY big difference.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
For long term storage of nicotine, use glass. Color? I favor amber, though I know in my heart that the freezer is going to be adequately dark, anyway. For the base (pg/vg) I kind of don't think it matters. Since there is mention of flavors, refrigerate but don't freeze, and keep it in the dark. I'm pretty sure the light in the refrigerator goes out when I shut the door. I don't feel I can comment on steeping as I just use unflavored.

Reactions: herb

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
Thanks , sounds like "amber" is the choice , now the best place to get them lol.

I get 120ml amber from Wizard Labs. At about $1.69 I'm not about to chase price since I usually build an order with a single vendor to qualify for free shipping. Different answer if I were ordering hundreds at a time.

Reactions: herb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread