Trying to make the switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsheph1

May 18, 2012
New Orleans
I am 37. I started smoking cigarettes at 17. I have tried quitting smoking since probably about 19. I hear people say that it took several tries to actually quit. It seems to me I have made probably about 100 attempts, granted some were more serious than others. I once made it 28 days, once 19 days, most of the rest were under a week, many didn't last a day.

I have tried switching to vaping before. I used Blu cigs for a while, but I wasn't satisfied and eventually went back to smoking. The cigs have been bringing me down now more than ever. I have been trying all sorts of things in the last month Chantix, Easy Way, signed up for hypnosis, made a detailed timeline and plan of quitting. Still through all of this only going a couple of days.

I decided to give vaping another try. Last Thursday, I bought a JUUL starter kit and began using it. I made it through Thursday and Friday, but got drunk Friday night and bought a pack of cigarettes and a lighter after I got in a big fight with my wife who was also drunk. I smoked two of them that night. I through the rest away. I made it with just the JUUL Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.

Wednesday, while at work, I was having a difficult day with concentration and motivation and I went and bought another pack and a lighter. I smoked about 5 at work and threw them away again. Its midday Thursday and I am back on the JUUL and feel pretty good all things considered.

The JUUL is much better at satisfying nicotine cravings than the Blu and I know it hasn't been the cravings that have brought me back to smoking. Truthfully, there is a little something missing (throat burn, instant buzz, oxygen deprivation, other chemicals - I can't exactly pinpoint it), and I may always feel that vaping is inferior to the smoking experience. But there is no denying it greatly mitigates that awful, horrible sadness and emptiness I feel from a true nicotine craving and believing deep down that feeling will never go away.

What seems to bring me back to smoking is feeling some negative emotion very strongly. I think if it takes smoking to get over feeling this way, then its OK. Of course, I will get over the emotion whether I smoke or not. The smoking may help a little, but much of that effect is probably me feeling I owe it to myself to soldier on since I went ahead and smoked. Like smoking is the ultimate forbidden self-indulgence and I deserve that when I feel ....ty, so I can get on with life.

The emotional part of smoking and addiction is huge for me. It is complicated by a dependence on Adderall, a prescription stimulant, which I overuse and run out of. I also have been relying heavily on marijuana for the last few months (daily use). I switched to vaping this also. It helps with the run away emotions of quitting, but there is also a strong linkage between being high and smoking cigarettes, like with drinking. I know it's not healthy to rely on substances of any kind to change my emotions, but I can't imagine how hard it would be to give up everything at the same time. Smoking cigarettes is the one that I feel like is killing me.

I like the ease and discreteness of the JUUL. The flavors are pretty good, except tobacco. I can't wait to try Mango.

I have in the past week noticed a few things as my body has adjusted to way less smoke. Most notably, I have come down with intermittent hay fever like symptoms (two sneezing fits with over 50 sneezes, watery eyes, nose running at times like a faucet, nasal congestion). Sudafed and Benadryl help somewhat. My inquiry into this has led me to believe that since my immune system is no longer being suppressed by smoke, it is overacting and in a sense creating allergies for me which I have never had in the past. I've seen this mentioned a lot. Some say it stays bad for days, some weeks, some months, and some seem to just accept its part of life now, like for many allergy sufferers. God, please let it get better soon. I can't realize I'm breathing easier or that exercise is easier when I'm congested.

I am also fatigued more and have been sleeping a lot more. I tend to think of this from past experiences as a temporary effect. I remember it took like three weeks, but when I had my longest quit, I would wake up earlier and with actual energy. That was great. I wonder if keeping nicotine in my system will mean my sleep will never improve like it did that one time, or if the improvement will be felt because my body is no longer working so hard on repairing the smoke damage. I feel more dehydrated, generally.

The smoker's cough/ rattle in my chest/constant need to clear my throat is already much improved. I am having occasional productive coughs with the brown/black gunk. I love seeing that junk get out of my body. Not stinking is wonderful. I didn't realize how often I would pull away from loved ones because I didn't want them to smell my smoke stink.

I love not having to freeze my ... off going outside to smoke, not getting rained on in the car because I couldn't stand to smoke with the windows up, not being ashamed of all the ashes all over my car. No more butts hidden all over the yard or thrown out my car window. No more feeling guilty and ashamed about people seeing me do it. Most of my clothes have burn holes in them. I was constantly coming up with excuses to leave my wife and kids for a few minutes to get my fix, but now I could just step in the other room.

I will stop for now, but I hope that by telling my story and reading your posts, I will connect and identify, with some of you former smokers, and we can help each other from avoiding ever going back.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome to ECF. Everyone here has a different story and journey. We like to say it is the cigs you don't smoke are the ones that count. Many of us did/still dual use. Don't stress those few, they just make you want more. My first bit of advice is buy a backup so you always have a vape. You literally have to decide to not buy cigs next time you feel stressed. Not easy, but doable, just vape your way thru it. Vaping is a wonderful tool, not a cure. Specific questions make it easier for us to help you going forward.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I can relate with your frustrations. I was a 30+ year smoker. Multiple times, I had tried nicotine gum/lozenges/patches and hypnosis (twice). Nothing worked for long.

One day I saw an NJoy disposable e-cigarette while buying, guess what?, another pack of cigarettes in the convenience store. I bought one on a whim to try it out. It wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad either. I knew that there must be something like it, only better. I researched online, found this great forum, and the rest is history.

Like many on this forum, I bought a cigalike starter kit. It got me off of the smokes within the first week of dual usage, but still I knew there must be something better. After about a month of beginning to vape, I got my first mod and a much better juice delivery attachment. This setup, for the most part, was the game changer for me. I've not had nor wanted a cigarette for nearly six years. The thought of smoking is nauseating to me. I truthfully enjoy vaping more than I ever did smoking. I never would have thought I could say that six years ago.

Everyone is different. Some folks have been able to quit smoking with vaping on the first day; others it can take weeks, months, or even years. I think it is safe to say that genuine determination ("I really really must quit") and finding the right combination of e-liquid and vaping gear helps seal the deal.

You must use some common sense. You admit that alcohol and **** weaken your determination. You need to avoid those situations if you wish to be successful. Have a backup vaping device handy; don't allow not having a charged battery, a burnt coil, running out of e-liquid, etc give you an excuse to buy another pack of cigarettes. Backups for your backups.

Vaping is not as easy as smoking. It requires you to plan ahead. If you ran out of cigarettes you probably could just go down to the street corner and buy another pack, at any hour of day/night. It's not that easy if you need a battery, working juice attachment, or another bottle of e-liquid; often a vape shop is a long distance away or you depend upon online delivery. Hence, backups.

Don't put yourself down should you fall off the wagon; it happens. It's not how many cigarettes that you smoked today that is important. It's how many you DIDN'T SMOKE that is.

Cigarettes are like a close friend. They seem to comfort us during times of stress or emotion. Psychologically, we may believe we can never stop using them. But they are NOT your friend. Look at my avatar; every cigarette smoked is like committing slow suicide.

88498.jpg

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Last edited:

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

I had a post all typed up but Bad said it much better.

My story is similar to his, especially this part which is almost identical to my story.

One day I saw an NJoy disposable e-cigarette while buying, guess what?, another pack of cigarettes in the convenience store. I bought one on a whim to try it out. It wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad either. I knew that there must be something like it, only better. I researched online, found this great forum, and the rest is history.

The only difference is that I quit right away after starting vaping. Of course, I started with better equipment than he did after my Njoy experiment. It wasn't easy but I was highly motivated.

dsites

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2017
Nederland, Colorado
Welcome to ECF .... You're on the right track.

"Truthfully, there is a little somethingmissing (throat burn, instant buzz, oxygen deprivation, other chemicals - I can't exactly pinpoint it)"

The other chemicals vary by brand and some are worse than others. In terms of throat burn, and instant buzz, the JULE might be about as good as you'll get with vaping. I started with VUSE and suspect they're about the same.

If you graduate to the next vaping level where you customize the juice, a 70/30 PG to VG ratio gives a pretty good DTL hit.

Lots of people dual use for however long they need to. Switching to vaping is a lot different than quitting smoking cold turkey. If you routinely smoke 20 cigs a day and only smoke a few on special occasions, you're %90 of the way to quitting cigarettes. The times I quit cigarettes, the first one sent me back to the races.

This is a fantastic forum (there's a section for dual users which I can't find now) ... Good luck and keep at it!

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Hello and welcome.

It is the other chemicals in the smoke you are craving. It will take at least 2 to 3 weeks in my experience for those to go away. Something small and potent like the JUUL does help but for me I found more vapor at a little less nic worked better at the beginning.

There is also WTA whole alkaloid ejuice that some say cut the craving a lot

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hang in there Jsheph1.

Not going to BS you. Quitting can be Tough. Very Tough. I know I Couldn't do it Cold Turkey.

I had to Ramp Down on Smoking while Ramping Up on my e-Cigarette. So get to down on yourself if you have some Slips along the way.

And be sure to Drink a Lot of Water. Helps Flush Out your system. And keeps you Hydrated.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I hope that by telling my story and reading your posts, I will connect and identify, with some of you former smokers, and we can help each other from avoiding ever going back.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Thank you for your update, and hope you post again.

Jsheph1

May 18, 2012
New Orleans
Thanks for your replies guys. Things have gotten much better for me. For the last week, I have been totally content with my JUUL, and have had absolutely no desire for a cig. I have improved physically to the point where I can exercise, but the mental and emotional improvement has been phenomenal. I am happy to be alive again. I feel confident that I will never go back to those god awful cancer sticks.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for your replies guys. Things have gotten much better for me. For the last week, I have been totally content with my JUUL, and have had absolutely no desire for a cig. I have improved physically to the point where I can exercise, but the mental and emotional improvement has been phenomenal. I am happy to be alive again. I feel confident that I will never go back to those god awful cancer sticks.

When you Smoke, I don't think you see sometimes how it is Degrading your Health. Because it does it Slowly. Little by Little. Day by Day.

Yeah... One day you Realize that going up Stairs is getting you winded, or that you Didn't Sleep all that great last night. But it has been like that for a Long Time. Sometimes Years.

It's only after you Quit that you see what a Difference there is.

It's like Waking from a Long Dream where you dreamt you were Old and Sick. And that many things in life Weren't Doable anymore. Because you just Don't have the Energy or Desire Anymore.

Now you are Awake. Go Out and Enjoy It.

tgs3

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I started last August with the Juul and it really helped me cut my 20-30 cig per day in half. [By the way, I thought the Mango flavor was the best of the bunch.] But for me that was it. I wasn't able to comfortably get down to 4 or 5 until I got a better set up. I now have six mods that I use constantly - never leave the house with fewer than two. I vape WTA and NET liquids. Since Jan 13 I have been what you might call an occasional smoker. I smoked a couple today, but had been smoke free for the previous four days. I am totally fine with the way it is going for me. I really try not to pressure myself. For me, that doesn't work - never has, never will.

Last September, I began writing down the time of every cigarette I smoked before I lit up in a little pocket notebook. Still do, though there are a growing number of days with no entries. I have come to actually enjoy vaping more than smoking at this point, but it definitely took a while to get to this place. I smoked for almost 50 years - so I am amazed at what vaping has done for me. I also check in to ecf every day, which has also been really important.

Good luck and take it easy on yourself!

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
People tend to fall back into old ways its not just smoking. I've seen so many people try to use Linux/GNU but never really get the hang of it because they are still using Windows as a crutch. Smoking is the same way. if you want to replace smoking with vaping its best to go full bore. IMO best setup for smoker wanting to quit is a high wattage mod (for extended battery life) and a good atomizer tank for DTL and e-juice with 6mg nic

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston

Congratulations on getting over that initial hump!!

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I just want to wish you success and say welcome. My journey was very different. With everything else I tried to quit with I was still fighting cravings and triggers. With vaping those simply disappeared for me. I've also got enough "geek" in me that I quickly started building atties and making DIY juices. Vaping rapidly became a hobby. I think this was huge for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread