Twist too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

embee214

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
hv ny
I have 3 ego batts…2 650 mAh clones that came with my starter kit, and a joyetech Twist 1000mAh. Lately I'm using simple 510 cartos -no tank. The problem is, it seems that when I'm using the twist, the carto and the top of the battery get much hotter than when I use the smaller fixed voltage batts, even when I keep the voltage at the lowest setting. No problems with burnt flavor or anything else, just hotter to touch. Don't know if I should be worried...how hot is too hot?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I have 3 ego batts…2 650 mAh clones that came with my starter kit, and a Joyetech Twist 1000mAh. Lately I'm using simple 510 cartos -no tank. The problem is, it seems that when I'm using the twist, the carto and the top of the battery get much hotter than when I use the smaller fixed voltage batts, even when I keep the voltage at the lowest setting. No problems with burnt flavor or anything else, just hotter to touch. Don't know if I should be worried...how hot is too hot?

Shouldn't be getting hot at the lowest setting. Either there's something wrong with the battery or the carto. If the carto (or if an atty/clearo) coil goes below 1.3 ohms, you're going to have a problem with the eGo batts. Below 1.0 ohms will definitely short out an eGo - even a Joye.

You need a multimeter to test the actual volts on the batt and the ohms on the carto.

I have one Joye Twist that I use with my 'coffee vape' that requires high wattage - meaning for my setup - a cisco 306 lr 1.5 ohm coil and the Twist set at around 4.0-4.2Volts = 11+W and that's pushing it but the cisco's hold up well. It gets 'hot' but not too hot to the touch - when it nears that, I put it down and vape something else. I've never gotten so hot that I couldn't hold it though.

embee214

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
hv ny
What resistance cartos are you using? Ego class batteries don't deal well with low resistance devices. They aren't really made for stuff below 2.0 ohms. Sure some people get away with it, but LR stuff significantly shortens the lifespan of eGo class batteries in the process.
Forgot to mention I'm using Boge standard resistance cartos. Shouldn't cause any problems.
Like Kent C said, I'll have to order a multimeter to test the battery.
Thanks guys.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Forgot to mention I'm using Boge standard resistance cartos. Shouldn't cause any problems.
Like Kent C said, I'll have to order a multimeter to test the battery.
Thanks guys.

Is this along the lines of: You can put the very same carto on the fixed voltage eGo's and it isn't a problem. But if you move that carto to the Twist, at it's lowest voltage, both the carto and the 510 connector/button part of the Twist are getting noticeably too warm? That would be odd - but anything is possible. In that case - out of spec battery possibly not dialing down as low as it should.

But if these are different cartos on different batteries, keep in mind that cartos are not precision things. Some times they don't measure what resistance you bought. Some time they are just flat out mis-packaged by either the factory or the vendor. Some time the resistance changes with usage.

Any way you call it a meter is a good thing for anyone dealing with vape gear to have. This isn't really going to help with checking your particular battery though. eGo Twists use PWM voltage. Plainly, it's not a true voltage coming off the connector - it's an averaged voltage. Consequently standard meters cannot correctly read the voltage of any APV that uses PWM circuitry. Meters have to be specially designed to "interpret" the voltage of a PWM device. But checking the resistance of attached devices like cartos is still very important.

embee214

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
hv ny
Is this along the lines of: You can put the very same carto on the fixed voltage eGo's and it isn't a problem. But if you move that carto to the Twist, at it's lowest voltage, both the carto and the 510 connector/button part of the Twist are getting noticeably too warm? .
Yup. That's what I'm experiencing.
Thanks for explaining the meter, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread