Status
Not open for further replies.

donesmokin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
NE Oregon
2 AW IMR 18650s (new), It only gets a little warm when charging 2 16340s it doesn't get what I would consider hot with 18650s just a bit warmer than with the 16340s.

Oh I Just wanted to add last time I charged with it I had it plugged in a socket with a bunch of other things tonight when I charge some batteries again it's got it's own socket all to itself I wonder if it will make any difference.

OK I'm back. I would say the i4 gets warm. I'm guessing you're OK. And overloading a socket is never a good idea, spread things out a little!

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I have my chargers on slightly raised on a old gutted out cd rom drives sheet metal casing. behind that i have a good old trusty holmes desk hepa filter that blows over and under it.

i use nitecore chargers as well. the casing of it is almost always somewhat cool to the touch. pictures that ive come across of chargers/batteries exploding tended to be in poorly ventilated areas. simply keeping your charging devices and batteries cool can prevent them from going over that domino effect of a thermal ledge (heat = more resistance = more heat...etc). It also keeps them more efficient and improves longevity (kind of a blanket statement for pretty much all electronics).

Sounds like overkill but it all sits behind my head. when im working throughout the day. just flick a switch before i go to bed and i dont have to worry about a thing.
That's actually not a bad idea... I have an old hard drive fan (made to be screwed onto the bottom of a hard drive) that I think is big enough to sit underneath my charger. I may have to do some tinkering...

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
So if i stack 18350's and use a 1.5 ohm coil, can i use vv mode and run 6 volt, for 24 watts? or will I still be limited to 15 watts?

I read the vamo is limited to 5A and the batteries can do 6A discharge each, so it shouldn't be current limited.

Ugh, I WISH I could find that video again. If I recall correctly, with a 1.5 ohm coil, stacked batteries did MUCH better than a single battery at higher voltage and power settings, but they still fell just a tiny bit short of the mark. I CANNOT remember what the actual numbers were, but I'd take a wild guess and say that where the single battery only pushed up to 5 volts, dual battery managed like 5.7 volts.

If I get some time later, I'll look again and post the link.

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
Ugh, I WISH I could find that video again. If I recall correctly, with a 1.5 ohm coil, stacked batteries did MUCH better than a single battery at higher voltage and power settings, but they still fell just a tiny bit short of the mark. I CANNOT remember what the actual numbers were, but I'd take a wild guess and say that where the single battery only pushed up to 5 volts, dual battery managed like 5.7 volts.

If I get some time later, I'll look again and post the link.

I think i saw that video too. think it was a pbusardo video but wasnt about a vamo specifically more like a comparison of several. couldnt find it and/or was too lazy to scroll through them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread