• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Two things

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving to Portland Oregon September 1st.
I'm looking for meetings in the area.

Anyone?

Then (I said there were two things), has anyone here vaped at meetings?

We AA's can be hardliners. Not as hard line as the FDA, but we can
be stubborn. I was wanting to hear any stories about this.

:D

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Well. I'm typing these words imagining what would happen if I just
pulled my prodigy out at a non smoking meeting and let loose a few
clouds of vapor.

I'm not one for drawing attention to myself, nor am I one for alienating
people about vaping. But I am wondering if vaping caught on in the 12
step groups it would have enormous support as ammunition against
ASH and the FDA.

Recovery is one of the biggest old buddy networks around, at a few
million strong.

Hint, hint...

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

Mossman

Jun 16, 2009
Lowell, MA
Congrats on the move, Father Luke... I don't know where you're moving from, but change is good...

I vape at meetings, but not during the meeting itself... Out here (Massachusetts) all meetings are non-smoking meetings... Typically, they're an hour and a half long, with a 10-15 minute break in the middle... I just vape with the smokers during the break, and put it away when I go back in. People have commented that it would probably be acceptable to vape inside, but I don't want to be a disruptive element, or a distraction while the meeting is going on. Or to paraphrase something that was said by another member of this forum: Blowing bubbles is perfectly harmless to the people around me, but I wouldn't start doing that in the middle of a meeting, either...

I've gotten mixed reactions to my vaping from the smokers at meetings... Some people think it's great, some people think it's stupid, while others have a mildly hostile reaction to it... Like using an e-cig is wrong somehow... They don't know why they feel that way... They just don't think I should be using it (as they choke on their analogs) as if I showed up at a meeting drinking an O'Doul's, or something... Then there's still others who want to wag their fingers and parrot whatever FDA nonsense they may have heard or read about them.

Suffice it to say, if I whipped out an e-cig while a meeting was in progress, I'm sure somebody would want to say something about it... I'd rather not put myself in a position where I have to defend my vaping... I also don't want to get in the way of someone getting the message because they're too distracted by my plumes of vapor. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Congrats on the move, Father Luke... I don't know where you're moving from, but change is good...

I'm moving for love. My girl friend and her four kids live in Oregon.

I vape at meetings, but not during the meeting itself... to paraphrase something that was said by another member of this forum: Blowing bubbles is perfectly harmless to the people around me, but I wouldn't start doing that in the middle of a meeting, either...

Hilarious. Thanks for a great analogy.

:thumbs:

- -
Okay,
Father Luke

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
I do it before and after meetings when I can answer questions, and boy there are usually a lot them. Read my sig, those who know me know to ask first.

I do the same and get the same. I always have an ample supply of business cards from my favorite e-cig company in my pocket, to hand out to those who are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread