Two whole years! (Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I am normally not one to toot my own horn, but I never would have imagined hitting the two year mark as a former smoker. I won't bother you all with my long life story, but will share a short one from a couple weeks ago (well, really not that short so feel free to skip).

Setting the story up, I'll first comment that I am one of the lucky ones in that I can honestly say I never experienced cravings for a smoke from day one of vaping. So, we headed out of town on a 2 day trip to attend a funeral. We spent the night at a relative's who lived about 10 miles out in the country. The trip out went fine, vaping away in the car. But once we arrived, I realized I needed to be considerate and not vape in their house. What I didn't realize is I would also have to refrain from vaping with them in the car, in restaurants, and any other establishments we went into.

But I was managing ok as we made the 10 mile drive into town for supper and then to the bar for a couple drinks after. But even at the bar, I didn't want to ask if vaping was ok, so stepped outside for a few minutes. Stepping outside, I immediately got a strong whiff of cigarette smoke like I have never noticed to that degree in the last two years. Glancing to my left, I see 4 smokers gathered about 20 feet away. To the right, another 3. And me in between with the thought of will I be able to resist that urge I am sure to get? But it never came and for the first time since quitting, I felt I had passed the final test. It felt great, but it didn't last long........

So we made the 10 mile drive "back home" and, of course, I took the opportunity between the car and the house to grab a few quick hits before going inside and settling in for the night. Waking up the next morning, I immediately got dressed so I could step outside for that vape I was so dying for. Standing out there, alone, enjoying my vape, I came to the realization that I was back exactly where I was when I smoked. Don't smoke in the house, in the car, in a store, in a restaurant, or even in a bar. I was back in the old pattern of grabbing a few hits, and a few extra I really didn't need or want, as I moved between the forbidden areas. And for the first time, I didn't crave a cigarette, but I was somewhat depressed at the realization how close we really are to being just as restricted in our vaping as we were when smoking. Even that is not enough to put me back on the smokes, but would it deter smokers from considering vaping when it appears to be the same?

But once home, I crawled back into my daily rut, happily vaping away as I sit in my man cave in front of my computer with the tv playing away in the corner. I can relish the satisfaction in hitting the two year mark in spite of that nagging thought in the back of my head.......is vaping destined to the same fate as smoking?

issy

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Between Timid and Timbuktu
Congrats on two years! I understand your pain and annoyance, however.

For me, an introvert, I seek out my peace when vaping. I vape when I'm alone in my car, when I'm in my apartment, or outside. At home, when I'm around my BF or his mom that we are supporting, I hold in my vape and blow out nothing. No one ever says a word, so far.

There are many stealth options available when vaping that are not available to smokers. You will never leave a detectable trace like the stinkies do. Don't despair, you are different, and it is not the same fate. Everything is on a spectrum. I've even vaped in other's cars...they don't say anthing, and after I've held in the vapor before I blow out, they never do.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Huge congratulations on your two years and I do get it. I fly up four times a year to visit my folks and at the airport have to vape with the smokers. Tonight on the porch someone said they went to McD's, ordered and paid at the drive thru but when they pulled up to the pickup window the "lady" said she wouldn't give them their food until his wife put out her cig. They were sitting in their own car. Not the first time I've heard of a drive thru person being denied service. One vaper was denied service because they were vaping IN THEIR CAR and not blowing vape in their face. There are many things I don't care for that other people do but I sure as heck don't treat, or even say anything to them, about it. None of my business, just my problem. :)

BTW, it was courteous of you not to vape in their presence but I would have vaped in my own car, they decided to hitch a ride with you.

And after that rant, again, a very happy second vaperversary! You done good. :thumbs:

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I am normally not one to toot my own horn, but I never would have imagined hitting the two year mark as a former smoker. I won't bother you all with my long life story, but will share a short one from a couple weeks ago (well, really not that short so feel free to skip).

Setting the story up, I'll first comment that I am one of the lucky ones in that I can honestly say I never experienced cravings for a smoke from day one of vaping. So, we headed out of town on a 2 day trip to attend a funeral. We spent the night at a relative's who lived about 10 miles out in the country. The trip out went fine, vaping away in the car. But once we arrived, I realized I needed to be considerate and not vape in their house. What I didn't realize is I would also have to refrain from vaping with them in the car, in restaurants, and any other establishments we went into.

But I was managing ok as we made the 10 mile drive into town for supper and then to the bar for a couple drinks after. But even at the bar, I didn't want to ask if vaping was ok, so stepped outside for a few minutes. Stepping outside, I immediately got a strong whiff of cigarette smoke like I have never noticed to that degree in the last two years. Glancing to my left, I see 4 smokers gathered about 20 feet away. To the right, another 3. And me in between with the thought of will I be able to resist that urge I am sure to get? But it never came and for the first time since quitting, I felt I had passed the final test. It felt great, but it didn't last long........

So we made the 10 mile drive "back home" and, of course, I took the opportunity between the car and the house to grab a few quick hits before going inside and settling in for the night. Waking up the next morning, I immediately got dressed so I could step outside for that vape I was so dying for. Standing out there, alone, enjoying my vape, I came to the realization that I was back exactly where I was when I smoked. Don't smoke in the house, in the car, in a store, in a restaurant, or even in a bar. I was back in the old pattern of grabbing a few hits, and a few extra I really didn't need or want, as I moved between the forbidden areas. And for the first time, I didn't crave a cigarette, but I was somewhat depressed at the realization how close we really are to being just as restricted in our vaping as we were when smoking. Even that is not enough to put me back on the smokes, but would it deter smokers from considering vaping when it appears to be the same?

But once home, I crawled back into my daily rut, happily vaping away as I sit in my man cave in front of my computer with the tv playing away in the corner. I can relish the satisfaction in hitting the two year mark in spite of that nagging thought in the back of my head.......is vaping destined to the same fate as smoking?
Congrats!

Reactions: OlderNDirt

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Congrats on 2 years! I know the feeling of being segregated with the smokers. Last time I traveled I was outside the terminal for some puffs before going through security. I was struck by how bad cigarettes smell. I realized I would never want to go back to them after vaping. It is a shame you ca't vape wherever, as you're certainly not endangering others with glycerin vapor.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Congrats on 2 years, I feel your pain regarding being treated the same as if you were still smoking. I refuse to go into smoking areas to vape as much as possible. Having lung disease from a 40 year smoking habit my lungs simply cannot handle being around smokers.

I am respectful of others wishes but at the same time do not allow others to treat me as if I were still smoking. After a little vaping around them they realize there is really nothing to the vapour that is disgusting, unlike smoking. I do not however, blow big clouds, fill up the room or blow in there faces. I take a little smaller toots, less frequently than normal, hold the vape in a second or 2 longer and exhale fast and low.

Once they are accustomed to my presence vaping, over time, I relax a little, bit by bit. However never blow vape in their faces or fill a confined space with my vape as that is just ignorant and you're looking to be shunned if that is the level of respect you show others.

I do use minimal flavouring however and completely understand how irritating clouds from flavour chasing cloud junkies can be, so I do not go there when around others. I want my vaping, and vaping in general, to be accepted, not abhorred. Cheers.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Congratulations!!!!!! 2 years is a great milestone. I was like you as in never craving a smoke once I started vaping. Never in my 45 years of smoking did I think it was in any way possible but here we are today. It truly is a miracle to have something that actually works to make putting down the smokes so painless.

A quick something that happened just last month. I was visiting my sister and her pregnant daughter was there too. Once upon a time she was quick to let you know how bad cig smoke smelt and how ill it made her to be around it while pregnant. Well, she and I were sitting outside side by side on the porch. I was vaping some of my favorite Vanilla Custard not even thinking that it might bother her. Once it popped into my mind I apologized to her. She said it didn't bother her AT ALL and prompted me to continue.

I think it might be courteous to ask first and refrain if there is a good reason but I refuse to be treated like a smoker just because it looks like I am. Both you and I have walked this earth for many days and have seen lots of changes. Some good, some not so good. Smokers have been deemed to be second class or even third class citizens and sadly even after we have made the switch to vaping it is very difficult for us to stand up to those that would put us down because of the choices we made in life so we continue to act the same way we did while still smoking. One of the beauties of vaping over smoking...It is possible to do it without clouding the air with vapor unlike cig smoke. There was no way to hide that. I am sorry that you felt like you had to refrain from vaping. "They" have really done their job even on our way of thinking :(

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Thank you all for the kind words of support.

BTW, it was courteous of you not to vape in their presence but I would have vaped in my own car, they decided to hitch a ride with you.

I am sorry that you felt like you had to refrain from vaping.

To clarify, this couple are two of the most wonderful people I have known my entire, long life. Back in my younger days, even though neither of them smoked, she would put out an ashtray when we were there, inviting me to smoke inside, she would virtually admonish me for stepping outside when I declined. Guess it comes down to showing respect. Unfortunately and sadly, she is now in the mid stages of alzheimer's and I can see it is also wearing on her husband who continues to "care for her" at home. It just seemed to be the right thing to do.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Congratulations on the two year mark. :toast: I'll hit it in September. The 29th. Mid afternoon, but I'm not keeping too close a track.. :) I abhor the 'vaping is the same as smoking' thing that some others have, but I tend to respect most others decisions/laws/regs whatever.

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member

To clarify, this couple are two of the most wonderful people I have known my entire, long life. Back in my younger days, even though neither of them smoked, she would put out an ashtray when we were there, inviting me to smoke inside, she would virtually admonish me for stepping outside when I declined. Guess it comes down to showing respect. Unfortunately and sadly, she is now in the mid stages of alzheimer's and I can see it is also wearing on her husband who continues to "care for her" at home. It just seemed to be the right thing to do.
    oops, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off as being judgemental on the situation :( I guess I am just more frustrated than usual right now and should have chosen my words more carefully. I do understand the situation and understand that you have to do whatever you have to do in any given situation. I truly am sorry to hear that these wonderful folks are having to deal with this sad situation.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Way to go OTD. 2 Years is a Great Milestone.

congratulations.gif

Reactions: OlderNDirt

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 5, 2013
    In the Mountains

I would have done the same as you under those circumstances, call me a wuss if you want. ;) I thought they were against you vaping in your own car, my bad. And BTW, it's never to early to start celebrating you vaperversary. :D

(I'm up visiting my parents, in their mid-90s, and having computer problems, hence my late reply. Humble apologies.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread