Types of Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliffCloff

Jan 9, 2018
Washington
I'm curious because there are all these wires out there and I can be 100% wrong about this but this is what I think I remember. Honestly, it's just hazy. But I thought vaping wire's that aren't Kanthal you're supposed to use them in temperature mode so you don't melt them and create toxic chemicals that you will then inhale. Cause I was gonna go and buy some pre-built coils and they have just Kanthal coils. But the ones I wanted to get are wrapped in Nichrome80. I am looking to use them in a mechanical mod so temperature control isn't an option. Am I just crazy and like making it up or is this a thing?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
@Topwater Elvis nailed it :)

Kanthal, Nichrome = Non TC

Yup, they can't do TC but they both work very well for mech mods and regulated in variable voltage or variable wattage modes. Some people have a preference between them, but they are pretty much interchangeable for me.

SS can be used for both TC & W.

Stainless steel is pretty much all I use these days. Lets me do TC if I want to for a bit, but mostly I vape variable wattage (not mech mods). You need to know the resistance of this wire is a lot lower than Kanthal or nichrome for the same gauge, inside diameter and number of wraps, so if you want to use it for a mech mod build you'll have to design the build to work with it as the resistance in a mech mod determines the watts you'll be vaping at.

I do still vape mech mods sometimes and my preference with them is Kanthal or nichrome. I find it's easier to get a good lower powered vape with those two than with SS.

Ni200 & Ti = TC only.

Yup, if you use either of these and you overheat the coil wire you risk unhealthy substances in your vape.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The big advantage of kanthal is it can be dry burned. SS can also be a little bit but it’s ticklish and easy to ruin a coil. Ni and Ti both cannot be dry burned. You need to replace the wire every time you change a wick. One additional complication is a lot of people turn out to be allergic to nickel so some people can’t use Ni at all.

CliffCloff

Jan 9, 2018
Washington
The big advantage of kanthal is it can be dry burned. SS can also be a little bit but it’s ticklish and easy to ruin a coil. Ni and Ti both cannot be dry burned. You need to replace the wire every time you change a wick. One additional complication is a lot of people turn out to be allergic to nickel so some people can’t use Ni at all.
What about nichrome?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
What about nichrome?
No chrome came before even kanthal. It doesn’t tc and since nichrome means nickel and chromium I suspect it has the same allergy issues as Ni. I’ve never used it unless it was in some old fashioned carto and I didn’t know.

Reactions: sonicbomb

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
In my experience, Ni Claptons can last a few wick changes. I drip a small amount of water while pulsing and it cleans right up.

RageKage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2014
Haddonfield, NJ
I'm allergic to nickel and I've vaped Ni80 builds in the past without issue. Nickel allergies are typically a contact allergy, where it results in rash or skin irritation from direct contact. I think you'd have to inhale a piece of the nickel coil to have any kind of allergic reaction. I just use SS or Kanthal these days.

• Agree
Reactions: Ryedan

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
If Nichrome is kinda sorta like nickel then wouldn't it still not be all that safe? If used outside of TC mode

Never use nickel in power mode, only TC. If you use nickel in power, the wire can combust/change properties that are creating more toxic elements that are very hazardous to inhale. Nickel is hazardous period. Not just those with allergies but hazardous to us all.

Nichrome is almost always used in power mode. Hybrid wire/mixed wires like Claptons or Aliens can contain multiple types of wire ex) SS or other TC wire twisted with nichrome, then yes, you could TC with nichrome.

Last edited:
Reactions: CliffCloff

CliffCloff

Jan 9, 2018
Washington
Never use nickel in power mode, only TC. If you use nickel in power, the wire can combust/change properties that are creating more toxic elements that are very hazardous to inhale. Nickel is hazardous period. Not just those with allergies but hazardous to us all.

Nichrome is almost always used in power mode. Hybrid wire/mixed wires like Claptons or Aliens can contain multiple types of wire ex) SS or other TC wire twisted with nichrome, then yes, you could TC with nichrome.
Thanks for this basically the answer I wanted lol. But also like thank you becuase I wanted to get squid doode Fused Claptons. And they got the nichrome, But I wanted to use it in my single 18650 mech mod an didn't want there to be trouble with the nichrome

Reactions: FΛDED

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
Thanks for this basically the answer I wanted lol. But also like thank you becuase I wanted to get squid doode Fused Claptons. And they got the nichrome, But I wanted to use it in my single 18650 mech mod an didn't want there to be trouble with the nichrome

Anytime. If you need something, just ask. :)

And you will def enjoy those squidoode coils. He uses high quality wire and your build will lasts months and months. High quality coils like his among a few others can take high wattage abuse really well. Usually the cheaper brands aren't that great. Just dry burn, clean, maintain regularly to get the most of them.

Reactions: CliffCloff

CliffCloff

Jan 9, 2018
Washington
Anytime. If you need something, just ask. :)

And you will def enjoy those squidoode coils. He uses high quality wire and your build will lasts months and months. High quality coils like his among a few others can take high wattage abuse really well. Usually the cheaper brands aren't that great. Just dry burn, clean, maintain regularly to get the most of them.
What do you think about coilology coils? Are they close to same quality? Also how would you go about cleaning the squid doode coils

FΛDED

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2017
Austin, Texas
What do you think about coilology coils? Are they close to same quality? Also how would you go about cleaning the squid doode coils

Feenz, Squidood, MTerk, Coilogy, and a few other US made are all considered premium coils that uses premium wire. For cleaning; dry burn pulse or if your coils are too gunky even after dry burning, then use a wire brush and dry burn. Don't pulse under a water faucet (another cleaning technique) those Coilogy coils because it can fray and crack really thin outside wrapped wire on those claptons/aliens and can cause bits and small microscopic pieces of metal to break off. You don't want to inhale that. The pulsing under a water faucet is best for regular round builds, not complex aliens/claptons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread