Thinner Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
can I use a simple Bic lighter to do the job
It'll make the wire less springy but also deposit a layers of soot on the wire, a candle would be even worse.
So you can use a lighter but you'll have to clean the wire afterwards. Also be aware that most plastic lighters aren't designed to be on for very long so you can cause a fiery meltdown of the thing if you're not careful.

Last edited:

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
It'll make the lighter less springy but also deposit a layers of soot on the wire, a candle would be even worse.
So you can use a lighter but you'll have to clean the wire afterwards. Also be aware that most plastic lighters aren't designed to be on for very long so you can cause a fiery meltdown of the thing if you're not careful.
Just yesterday I build coils in 28g kanthal again for my friends Velocity. I realized that it's just a matter of getting used to the wire because this time around the build came out much better than the last one. I definitely have a knack for building coils so I think it was having to get used to the thinner wire, being that most wire I was using was thicker than 28g. Being that I got used to the wire without a torch I won't need to order one too soon, unless I am dealing with wire above 28g or if it's a harder tank/rda to rebuild. I have to admit it would be fun to use a torch though.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
Until now any rda or rta that I have had I've been using 24g kanthal/ss or 22g kanthal aside from the occasional claptons when I'm not using my mtl setups that are drop in coil tanks. I've found for me that it's a lot easier to use the thicker wire being that it's harder to mess up when making coils especially contact coils. I just finished rebuilding my rda with 28g kanthal and it took me twice as long than usual, compared to the thicker wires. It's very springy and harder for me to get the coils just right and I am using the velocity style deck.

I'm very interested in knowing what are other people's experiences with thinner wire, if it's easier for them or harder to get the coils the way that they want it to be.
I mainly do Temp Control and I use 22gauge Stainless Steel and it has been performing well on temps. I just tried a 26guage for faster ramp up but it seems to struggle to get up to 420 Degrees Fahrenheit. I'm going back to thicker wire 22guage. All the data is from Escribe > Device Monitor. And I could feel it too, it's a cold vape with thinner wire. :( Using Single Coil RDAs Haku Venna.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I don't really do TC, so not sure on this aspect, but it's interesting. So with your 22g wire, what kind of coil do you use (resistance, wraps, ID) . Then when you tried the 26g, what coil did you try?
I mainly do Temp Control and I use 22gauge Stainless Steel and it has been performing well on temps. I just tried a 26guage for faster ramp up but it seems to struggle to get up to 420 Fahrenheit. I'm going back to thicker wire 22guage. All the data is from Escribe > Device Monitor. And I could feel it too, it's cold with thinner wire. :( Using Single Coil RDAs Haku Venna.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
ok I tried a much lower wraps this time. I'm really determined to get this happening. 26guage Stainless Steel 7 wraps seems to do the trick. But it's loud, sounds like a mini fire crackers. Is this normal? I got the wattage set at 45 Watts. Would I kill the coil at this range? The crackling noise is really loud. lol I'm thinking of going back to 22 guage. The ramp is good though. Been testing a bit more temperature is not consistent. I'm going back to thicker wire

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
ok I tried a much lower wraps this time. I'm really determined to get this happening. 26guage Stainless Steel 7 wraps seems to do the trick. But it's loud, sounds like a mini fire crackers. Is this normal? I got the wattage set at 45 Watts. Would I kill the coil at this range? The crackling noise is really loud. lol I'm thinking of going back to 22 guage. The ramp is good though. Been testing a bit more temperature is not consistent. I'm going back to thicker wire
SS wire is all over the place when it comes to TC, SS430 seems to be the most consistent for me. I run a few SS316L profiles because of manufacturing differences in the wire.

• Useful

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I think in that wattage range 26g might be pushing it. I guess you can up the wraps, but I personally think 6 to 7 is best. 26g wire imo is maybe in the range between 20 and 30 watts

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
I think in that wattage range 26g might be pushing it. I guess you can up the wraps, but I personally think 6 to 7 is best. 26g wire imo is maybe in the range between 20 and 30 watts

Yeah I tried 11 wraps and the temperature was really low, tried 7 it was going good for a bit then the temps become low again. I gone back to thicker wire and all is well again. You can only try :|

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    24 gauge is great for me, it resists deformation well without being too power hungry. I've had a spool of 26 gauge SS316L for a while and tried building a 6 wrap spaced coil with it, even after dropping the wattage by a quarter the wicks were turning black a lot faster than with 24 gauge while producing comparable flavor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread