Thinner Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Until now any rda or rta that I have had I've been using 24g kanthal/ss or 22g kanthal aside from the occasional claptons when I'm not using my mtl setups that are drop in coil tanks. I've found for me that it's a lot easier to use the thicker wire being that it's harder to mess up when making coils especially contact coils. I just finished rebuilding my rda with 28g kanthal and it took me twice as long than usual, compared to the thicker wires. It's very springy and harder for me to get the coils just right and I am using the velocity style deck.

I'm very interested in knowing what are other people's experiences with thinner wire, if it's easier for them or harder to get the coils the way that they want it to be.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Until now any rda or rta that I have had I've been using 24g kanthal/ss or 22g kanthal aside from the occasional claptons when I'm not using my mtl setups that are drop in coil tanks. I've found for me that it's a lot easier to use the thicker wire being that it's harder to mess up when making coils especially contact coils. I just finished rebuilding my rda with 28g kanthal and it took me twice as long than usual, compared to the thicker wires. It's very springy and harder for me to get the coils just right and I am using the velocity style deck.

I'm very interested in knowing what are other people's experiences with thinner wire, if it's easier for them or harder to get the coils the way that they want it to be.
I use 22ga plain kanthal myself for a couple reasons. They can withstand deforming when you wick. They clean off really nicely with a good dry burn.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I use 30ga because I prefer using lower watts to increase my battery usage time and because I like to vape like I smoked with a quick ramp up and short puff. My coils are simple open coils and higher ohms (1.5).
I definitely enjoy this build with 28g because of the fast ramp up time and shorter puff compared to say 24g. I was thinking that maybe instead of using a 3mm screwdriver I should use a 2mm and add a wrap or two to compensate. Maybe the wraps will hold firmer that way but I am not sure.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I started building using 28 gauge ss316l - so it was really a case of not knowing there were easier wires to coil ;)

Most of my RTAs I run 28 gauge in, I use a 2.5mm id, 5 or 6 wrap, slightly spaced coil at around 0.5ohm.

Unless I drop a deck with a coil attached - and the coil gets over-squished, I've found most problems are fixable by using the coil jig and straightening things out

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I definitely enjoy this build with 28g because of the fast ramp up time and shorter puff compared to say 24g. I was thinking that maybe instead of using a 3mm screwdriver I should use a 2mm and add a wrap or two to compensate. Maybe the wraps will hold firmer that way but I am not sure.
    2mm for me was very hard to wick.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    2mm for me was very hard to wick.
    I found that 2mm coils burnt through the middle of the wick easily as well. Perfect for Ekowool but not cotton or Rayon.

I remember trying this foolishness back in the day... :lol:
    item926831_600px.jpeg

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    Like others I started with 28 gauge and almost always end up using it. I also have 26 and 30. The 30 is way too thin for my shaky hands though. I just seem to get the most use out of the 28.
    As Letitia said if or when the coil gets messed up I use a coiling rod and just fix it up. No problemo!!

Oh I also cut one tail of the wick close to the coil so I don’t have as much rayon to pull thru. It works wonderfully.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I found that 2mm coils burnt through the middle of the wick easily as well. Perfect for Ekowool but not cotton or Rayon.

I remember trying this foolishness back in the day... :lol:
    item926831_600px.jpeg
    I only built one dual 2mm 28g build and swore never again after finally getting it wicked. Had to wrap another coil since I destroyed the first one I tried to wick btw. Rarely used 28g after that either. My how my vaping style has changed.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    I only built one dual 2mm 28g build and swore never again after finally getting it wicked. Had to wrap another coil since I destroyed the first one I tried to wick btw. Rarely used 28g after that either. My how my vaping style has changed.
    28ga is like the small child of vape wire, you have to hold it's hand as you cross the street. :)

30ga Ni200 was a real pleasure to work with, okay once you twisted two strands together. Then they came out with tempered Ni200, better to work with but we all stopped using it for Ti by that point.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    28ga is like the small child of vape wire, you have to hold it's hand as you cross the street. :)

30ga Ni200 was a real pleasure to work with, okay once you twisted two strands together. Then they came out with tempered Ni200, better to work with but we all stopped using it for Ti by that point.
    Hated Ni 200 but did play with Ti a bit. Went back to kanthal until Ni80 got on my radar, now ss 316l mostly. Been using a couple Ni80 coils here lately.

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I never went below 24 gauge, just no need too. Even 24gauge takes a mighty toll on the batts ramping up the builds. Using cotton it really doesn't matter how thin a wire you use but the thinner the wire(30, 32 gauge) looses its integrity then begins to weaken and distort after a couple dryburn cleanings trying to rewick especially with rayon. The subohm was a phase for me so back to higher Ω vaping, targeted at 1.4Ω 29/34 rayon clapton and I'm happy vaper.
    Something through experience is that one has to learn how to vape those thick, multiwire builds allowing for ramp up time, cooling time and pulling hard enough to pass enough air not to burn the coil. Rebuilding its not so bad but dropping a few bucks on a fancy coil head too cook it on the first vape really sucks..
    Learn how to clapton..its the easiest thing going to put your vape quality onto another level. I haven't vaped a single wire build in a couple years now, all single core clapton. Taking your whatever thick wire then add 34, 36 or 38 wrap onto it will change everything. Another thing is contact coils IMO suck, burning out the center of the wicking is easily done ....space them even a little bit allows the juice to vaporize and escape through the entire coil. I just never comprehended how a tight coil vaporizing juice from the center.
    I also couldn't be bothered having to keep track of what wire is in what atty so mostly kanthal and sometimes SS but reading that some other wire types can create noxious fumes is improperly used...don't need the hassle.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Like others I started with 28 gauge and almost always end up using it. I also have 26 and 30. The 30 is way too thin for my shaky hands though. I just seem to get the most use out of the 28.
    As Letitia said if or when the coil gets messed up I use a coiling rod and just fix it up. No problemo!!

Oh I also cut one tail of the wick close to the coil so I don’t have as much rayon to pull thru. It works wonderfully.
    Believe it was Ange talking about using the rod. When I was using single wire coils I usually just wrapped a new coil when it was time to wick.

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2015
    Connecticut
    I use 28g Kanthal always 2mm jig. I find shorter legs and tight wraps strengthen the coil. When pulling the wick through (I use rayon) I simply hold my finger on the coil to keep it from moving. If your coils are moving with 28g you might be using too much wick.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread