Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I started coil building with 22g and 24g and didnt like the ramp up on it, now I use 28g almost exclusively. I tend to make it into fused claptons to strengthen it though, but will wrap round wire coils occasionally. Three strands of 28g with 40g wrapped around it makes for a very sturdy coil that can take some abuse and be wicked quite hard before deforming.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
If it's too springy you can give it a quick sizzle with a torch before wrapping. Thickest wire I'm using is 26g.

I used to rebuild EVOD/ARO heads with 1.5mm micro coils using 32g Kanthal. You talk about springy. I agree the solution is to torch them. I just used a burner on my gas stove. Held one end of the wire with a pair of needle nose pliers and just moved the wire slowly through the flame a few times. Takes a lot of the spring right out of it. I haven't needed to do this now that I am using 26g SS316 making 3mm coils.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I used to rebuild EVOD/ARO heads with 1.5mm micro coils using 32g Kanthal. You talk about springy. I agree the solution is to torch them. I just used a burner on my gas stove. Held one end of the wire with a pair of needle nose pliers and just moved the wire slowly through the flame a few times. Takes a lot of the spring right out of it. I haven't needed to do this now that I am using 26g SS316 making 3mm coils.
About torching the wire, can I use a simple Bic lighter to do the job and make it less springy or do I absolutely need a torch?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I'm glad I can still make use of the lighters rotting away in my drawer that I had deemed usless:)
Lighters are never useless. They make fire!
3feeb6c6dd76ff82639356c5a0bdfddf.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
About torching the wire, can I use a simple Bic lighter to do the job and make it less springy or do I absolutely need a torch?

You can also use one of these...

gas_stove_burner_l1.jpg

And you might even have one in your Kitchen already.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
I love thin wires.
All I use is 0,25mm (~30G) and sometimes even 0,2mm (~32G); even though only when I have time and patience. SS 304. Has next to no spring to it, no need to torch it, either.

Depending on atomizer; 3,5 to 4mm diameter coils, 12 to 15 parallel wraps; big coils that work really well in the 60W range. I don't dry burn, though; doesn't work too well with SS 304 and this thin wire; I just rebuild every two weeks, no big deal.
For that little more effort I get builds that are more efficient and produce lots of cool vapor, which i prefer.

Everything over 28G feels monstrously thick to me, lol; I have some 26G lying around somewhere which I don't use.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You're just going to find your preferred wire by experimenting honestly. Get some shorter spools of a few different things and experiment. I started with 28 gauge and find it to be a nice balance, but everyone's preference is going to be different, etc. I have spools ranging from 30 to 22 and they really weren't expensive for me to worry about and it was fun experimenting to figure out what I like best.

A lighter is certainly sufficient, a torch is FUN. :)

Anna

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston

Lighters work but I ended buy a pastry /brûlée torch thing which is great fun lol! $10 on Amazon.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I used to love 24 gauge for its strength, durability and the way it vaped in mech mods. These days I use 27 and 28 gauge SS and Kanthal in single coil atties in lower watt regulated setups. I've learned to work with these coils using Koh Gen Do and CelluCotton, but I mostly KGD.

I find these wires pretty easy to work with and they vape well for me in my builds at 13-16 watts. I suspect these would be a good vape at 10-35 watts if built properly.

Works for me, but YMMV as always :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread