Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmySkye

Aug 14, 2018
So it’s my 3rd weekish? of vaping and a 3 days ago my first coil needed changing (it did what the site said it would if it needed to be changed) . The site said the coils lasted about 3-4weeks on average so no biggy there.
However when I swapped the coil waited 20 and then had a vape and I got this burnt flavour again, so I figured i burned the cotton because I didn’t fill it high enough? Or miss judged how long i waited (If that’s a thing).
So I went to a local vape shop yesterday to get more coils and they told me the T22 doesn’t like VG 50% or higher and mine had been between 65 and 70 VG (mind you it was fine for 3 weeks on this) so they gave me a High PG mixer juice to put with it (no Nic do weakens it a bit). But then it gets worse. First attemp At a cool change and I must have got juice in the coil and it gurgled bad so I did it AGAIN, this time it worked but I didn’t like the taste from the beginning, the pg gave of a terrible chemical flavour and now it tastes burnt again
So this is my 3rd coil and besides the Pg tasting like .... and still tasting burned I’d rather just go back to my usual mix and waiting over night to see what happens.. should I change the coil again or just try my normal juice?

PS I’m kinda ...... that The website I got the edits from didn’t say that certain juices ruined the coils faster but I’m sure it wouldn’t happen this fast (like straight away)

PPS: Is there something else I may be doing wrong???

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's always best to place several drops of juice on the inside of the cotton to be sure it gets primed. Then let it sit 10-15 minutes in the filled tank. Then take several unpowered draws to get more juice to flow into the cotton. At that point I would start at low power and slowly increase it until you have the vape you want. Does the mod you're using allow you to adjust the power/wattage setting?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I remember using the silicone cover on the eGo coils to prime the cotton. We'd fill the cover with juice and slide the coil down into the cover slowly. The juice would well well up into the coil center and the base of the coil would wick juice as well. A 30 minute soak and all was fine. Vendor coils take a while to saturate thoroughly.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
It won't hurt to try properly priming a funky tasting head to see if will vape satisfactorily. Most often not after a burnt taste is present.

Drip a drop on all exposed wicking material, allow time to soak in, drip a few more. The wicking should look translucent / wet.
Install head into base, fill tank , let sit for a few minutes.
Filling tank & letting a new unprimed head sit for 10 min to over night to saturate doesn't work very well, pretty much a way to guarantee you'll buy more replacement heads.

The T 22 heads should wick higher Vg just fine, kinda the whole point behind all those wicking holes in the body of the head.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I remember when I started vaping almost 6 years ago, the advise everywhere as far as cartos was "Don't drip the liquid into the center of the tube!". But every non-standard fill method, soaked the center of the tube and worked great!

You Need To Drip the Liquid Into the Center of the Tube (or the center of the coil!!)!

The "not liking VG" bit? It's BS. As long as you properly saturate your coil, the VG will flow just as well as PG.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hi!

1. I remember the original Innokin "upgraded 20S" coils and they were an improvement on the frankly awful coils that kicked off that product history.

The T22 should be better but yes, in a way, they might not like higher than maybe 60% VG. I wouldn't have thought you'd need to lower to 30% VG (leaving 70% PG) but your current problems sound like flooding to me.

So, I'd guess 50/50 would probably be best.

2. Almost no coils last 3-4 weeks I'm afraid. This is a fallacy invented by the people that sell coils. If you vape a lot and use a coil at about half the power you can get up to a week, maybe 5-10 days depending on juice. Dark/heavily flavored juice will kill all coils quickly. I have a 'brand' of Vanilla Custard which will kill all coils (homemade or shop bought) in 48 hours. I only use that juice with a RDA - a good old 'rebuildable dripping atomizer'

3. Although I am not a believer in washing coils (mostly it doesn't work well) but I would always recommend washing and drying out a partly used coil that didn't work well or got flooded.

If I think of anything else, I will update my post.

Priming takes some practice. I can prime any coil in about 30 seconds - eventually you just get a feel for exactly how many drops. On a big coil that can be as much as 20 drops (almost 1ml)... On a smaller coil that would mean flooded.

Good luck. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sorry for the length of this video. You can choose to watch the entire thing, or skip to the 38 minute mark to where Phil talks about the T-22 coils.

In my opinion, the key to prolong coil life is to thoroughly prime new coils and then "break them in" slowly. Below is another video which discusses how to do this; its for a different coil and tank, but the PRINCIPLES used is what is important. A little patience used with the first day of a coils life will prolong its life 100%.

Last edited:
  • Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
This is a fixed wattage setup, so you need to prime a bit differently. Yes--drop some juice inside the coil, because you need to get it saturated. Yes-- let it sit, for several hours. As its doing that, you can start the wicking into the coil by using long, strong inhales into the mouthpiece without hitting the fire button. You need enough capillary action (by suction) to start juice wicking into the coil, so it won't burn instantly. Do that a bunch of times as it sits.

When you start vaping the coil, you should take very short puffs/hits and continue inhaling AFTER you release the button so the coil doesn't burn but instead continues pulling juice up in to the wick, as you start increasing the heat. I'd probably open the airholes wide as you are doing that too, to allow air to move throughout the tank.

I really don't think the amount of PG mentioned by the store is necessary and I think you should go back to what you liked and what was working for you.

Fixed wattage setups can be tricky. That's about all I got, but good luck.

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: Baditude

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
PS I’m kinda ...... that The website I got the edits from didn’t say that certain juices ruined the coils faster but I’m sure it wouldn’t happen this fast (like straight away)
Welcome and glad you joined.
I would not be too hard on the vendor, this type of problem is typical and takes some research and trial/error. Quite a few new vapers either choose to start with or are sold vape gear waaaaay over their skill set. You are starting correctly with your gear and will most likely succeed in getting it right. Might keep in mind that most vapers have had similar experiences and successively solved them. The following information may give you some more insight into your problem:
Tank type atomizers... For new vapists - how they work | E-Cigarette Forum
7 Easy Ways To Stop Your Coil From Burning - Ashtray Blog
Vape Tastes Burnt? Main Reasons and How to Avert That

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread