UK study shows e-cigarettes help adult smokers quit, but US experts urge caution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
"Critics say those results aren't particularly positive. "Switching to e-cigarettes does not mean quitting," said Folkenroth of the American Lung Association. "Quitting means truly ending the addiction to nicotine, which is very difficult."

It's called "harm reduction", Mr Folkenroth. My intent when switching to e-cigarettes was not to end nicotine use, but to find a safer method to satisfy my nicotine addiction. Nicotine used alone does not lead to lung cancer, COPD, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema. It is no more harmful than caffeine. vaping is not smoking.

Nicotine does have some negative effects on the circulation, but like I said above I was looking for a nicotine delivery system which was less harmful than cigarettes and allowed me to quit smoking. The traditional nicotine replacement methods made by Big Pharma were totally ineffective in getting me off of cigarettes. I'll accept the circulation side effects of nicotine as long as I'm not smoking.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
The traditional nicotine methods made by Big Pharma were totally ineffective in getting me off of smoking.
Yep. Me too. I'd still be smoking if it wasn't for the e-cigs.

Longest I made it, if I recall, is about ?7 months?, on the gum. Then came e-cigs. Almost 9 years now.

Those "didn't quit" people can shove it. I didn't quit nic, but I DID quit smoking.
Besides, nic is naturally occurring and in several foods. Nobody "quits nic" entirely. Screw em.
I know the food dose is not the same, but sheesh.

Zahlia

Nov 20, 2018
This is the first time in my life I am close to three months of not smoking cigarettes. Many years ago I tried the gum and I lasted 8 hours. Each of those 8 hours all I could think about was smoking a cigarette. I know many who have tried the patch, caved and ended up smoking while on the patch and got sick. I know of some good and bad stories from people who used Champix. With e-cigarettes. I didn't even have to try. I didn't have any epiphany with the clouds parting wherein I suddenly said, "I will quit smoking." It just happened. I don't crave when having a few drinks nor do I crave when others are smoking around me. I truly feel these devices should start to receive the same treatment as other smoking cessation devices. If certain insurance companies or medical plans cover the use of certain cessation products. It's time that the e-cig receive that recognition. On another note. It's' freezing cold up here in Canada close to minus 35. I am looking at all the smokers huddled outside for a smoke. Remembering that use to be me.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Its freezing cold here in Canada close to minus 35. I am looking at all the smokers huddled outside for a smoke. Remembering that use to be me.
It's freezing cold down here in the States, too. Unfortunately, local laws and the general public look upon vapers the same as smokers, so we are still going outside to vape.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
"Critics say those results aren't particularly positive. "Switching to e-cigarettes does not mean quitting," said Folkenroth of the American Lung Association. "Quitting means truly ending the addiction to nicotine, which is very difficult."

It's called "harm reduction", Mr Folkenroth. My intent when switching to e-cigarettes was not to end nicotine use, but to find a safer method to satisfy my nicotine addiction. Nicotine used alone does not lead to lung cancer, COPD, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema. It is no more harmful than caffeine. Vaping is not smoking.

Nicotine does have a negative effects on the circulation, but like I said above I was looking for a nicotine delivery system which was less harmful than cigarettes and allowed me to quit smoking. The traditional nicotine replacement methods made by Big Pharma were totally ineffective in getting me off of cigarettes.

The same can and is said about methadone. Substituting one addiction for another. It's the Purtanical streak that runs through the US on some issues. It's a black and white all or none worldview, and the judgement of people as being "weak" when struggling with an
addiction. It's the same mindset of the Prohibitionists back in the day. We all read how that turned out.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
"Switching to e-cigarettes does not mean quitting," said Folkenroth of the American Lung Association. "Quitting means truly ending the addiction to nicotine, which is very difficult."

If that were true, then my own doctor and the doctors of several vaping friends must all be wrong. They've changed our medical records to reflect that we're each either a "former smoker" or an "ex-smoker". ;)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If that were true, then my own doctor and the doctors of several vaping friends must all be wrong. They've changed our medical records to reflect that we're each either a "former smoker" or an "ex-smoker". ;)
My doctor of a few years ago wrote in my chart, "Lynn has stopped smoking cigarettes thanks to his water pipe." I had tried to explain to him what vaping was, but I guess he only understood part of it. :lol:

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The same can and is said about methadone. Substituting one addiction for another. It's the Purtanical streak that runs through the US on some issues. It's a black and white all or none worldview, and the judgement of people as being "weak" when struggling with an
addiction. It's the same mindset of the Prohibitionists back in the day. We all read how that turned out.
Facts are, its been well proven that opiate addicts can function perfectly well in society. Where they get into trouble is when their source is from the street with an unknown quality and concentration, and possibly contaminated with other more potent chemicals. If their source was a regulated and trusted pharmaceutical source (ie methodone), the "risks" of addiction fall exponentially and they can function in society the same as me or you.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Facts are, its been well proven that opiate addicts can function perfectly well in society. Where they get into trouble is when their source is from the street with an unknown quality and concentration, and possibly contaminated with other more potent chemicals. If their source was a regulated and trusted pharmaceutical source (ie methodone), the "risks" of addiction fall exponentially and they can function in society the same as me or you.

I agree. Which is why it's so frustrating to see how difficult it is to get a person into a maintenance program or even treatment with newer drugs like suboxone. But everyone gets hung up on abstinence as the ultimate goal, just like we're seeing behaviors about nicotine use and the arguments "well, you're still addicted if you're using nicotine". This isn't the only country like that, but it does stand alone among developed nations in this rejection of harm reduction, whether for opiate, and now nicotine addiction. It's like nicotine is the new " ...... madness". And that's now getting legalized all over the place.

We never learn our lessons when people take stances based on "morals" and not on facts. Then again, look what that horrible rock &roll did to this country. Bunch of long haired hippies.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
[Rant on]

Don't get me started on this. The three "C's" when it comes down to addiction are Chemistry, Culture and Consciousness. Any of the following fit this model:
  • Cigarettes
  • Alcohol
  • Any recreational drug
  • Gambling
  • Sex
  • Extreme sports
  • Spending money on luxuries
  • Food
For political and financial reasons, the addictive nature of many of these actors is underplayed, yet the the damage to society is totally ignored, whilst smoking is made out to be the biggest demon. We are now seeing food and alcohol being demonised to the same extent at tobacco in the '70's and '80's.

Until you break the 3 "C's" you have close to zero chance of curing an addict. You might get some temporary respite by removing one of the 3, but the success will be short lived.

I hate to be cynical here, but I firmly believe our lords and masters are perfectly cognisant of this fact, and are more than willing to make capital out of a) a captive market and b) furnishing "relief" when there is no cure.

I'm over 6 months into my vaping journey, and the government coffers are £500 down. If I smoked regular tobacco rather than roll ups, that would be £2,640 (~£12 per pack).

I think the parasites are not the addicts, but somewhere else in the food chain.

[/Rant off]

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017

I recently began wondering if there is a connection between the reduction in smoking and the meteoric rise of Alzheimer's.
Maybe people are just living longer.
Alas, there may be
Nicotine may help prevent your brain from aging and hold off Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s

Note the beginning of the article mentions ecigs, but the end just says "smoking".

I don't believe there is yet a positive connection, and doubt anyone will be looking further.

Reactions: stols001

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018

I remember reading about a documentary that was suppressed in the UK about ...... use that featured a professional couple who were functioning addicts. Could be apocryphal but if true quite interesting, as I guess it didn't conform to the popular image of junkies living on the streets. I think it was in an article by Victor Lewis Smith, and not one of his humorous articles.

On topic - I used patches for a month, which worked until I stopped using them then after a couple of days I was back on cigarettes. The reason why vaping works for so many is it's actually pleasurable, arguably more pleasurable than smoking. Whereas the patches just made my skin itchy and left me with nothing to do with my hands!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I recently began wondering if there is a connection between the reduction in smoking and the meteoric rise of Alzheimer's.
Maybe people are just living longer.
Alas, there may be
Nicotine may help prevent your brain from aging and hold off Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s

Note the beginning of the article mentions ecigs, but the end just says "smoking".

I don't believe there is yet a positive connection, and doubt anyone will be looking further.
Researchers are starting to call Alzheimer's type 3 diabetes. It's likely to be primarily a lifestyle disease, bad diet, too much sugar. Half of all US adults either have type 2 diabetes or will develop it without making changes. Metabolic disease related to diet is a far bigger threat to kids (and adults) than puffing on Juuls. The FDA knows that better than anybody and if the don't they're worse than useless.

Switching to vaping 4 years ago paved the way for me to reform my diet and exercise. In the past year I said goodbye to 25 pounds and got back my highschool weight and waistline. (Kids were skinny back in those days.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread