Dec 3, 2010
North Carolina
Just my experience so take it with a grain of salt... so to speak:
Setup: REO Grand + IKV 801 mini 2.0ohm atty + stealth adapter + WF-188 Charger
I have owned and used the following:
(2)Ultrafire 18650 3000mAh 3.7V
(2)AW 18650 2900mAh 3.7V
(2)AW IMR 18650 1600mAh 3.7V

Started out with the UF's and they worked well for my 3mL of juice I vape in a daily... When the AW 2900's came I used those and automatically could tell a difference in the length of time I could get a decent vape ... After two weeks I completely stopped using the UF's because their performance was not consistent nor what I needed. I have since given them away. Now I am a high drain battery convert because of my vaping habits I can get a full 8hrs out of the AW IMR with a better performance than the AW 2900's...
I did not think I would notice a difference between any of these batteries since it is a bit subtle... but I do. For those that don't see a difference then you would be best to stick with what works for you.
It's good to see the numbers in the chart above to know it wasn't my imagination when comparing the two types of protected batteries. Had I been able to find my MM (son lifted it from my garage) I would have been able to provide you with definitive numbers. As it is, I could only give the opinion. And as you all know they aren't worth that much. :)
Thank you for the info

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Just my experience so take it with a grain of salt... so to speak:
Setup: REO Grand + IKV 801 mini 2.0ohm atty + stealth adapter + WF-188 Charger
I have owned and used the following:
(2)Ultrafire 18650 3000mAh 3.7V
(2)AW 18650 2900mAh 3.7V
(2)AW IMR 18650 1600mAh 3.7V

Started out with the UF's and they worked well for my 3mL of juice I vape in a daily... When the AW 2900's came I used those and automatically could tell a difference in the length of time I could get a decent vape ..
In the chart look at the Panasonic trace. That's the cell in the the AW 2900.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
the wf-139 has been redesigned i think, so no i don't believe mine was a charger prob. besides that i was usin a diff. charger most of the time

I just received the wf-139 a couple of weeks ago. I was assuming that it is the new design. I read that there were several redesign. The problem is, I can't find any info on how to tell what version update is which. Perhaps vendors are sending out old stock piles they had.

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
about 0.15volts difference from the best to the worst cell, reference continuous drain 2 amp graph, 0.5 hours (about midpoint) into drain test. about 0.1 volt difference between most cells (excluding the obvious losers) in the 1 amp test at 1 hour into the test.

That's from the worst cell tested to the best cell tested. How many lumens is that :)

and yes it is valid to compare the UF3000 to other sizes like the 14500 or the ego. We aren't here to see who can blow the brightest cloud of vapor. If you really want an evaluation of e-cig, compare them all. Even the crap 3000 will outperform anyone's ego. It will not outperform a $20 AW. But 5 of them are cheaper and 5 will vape longer than 1 AW. $20 worth of UF3000s will out vape $20 of just about anything.
And has anyone got a documented e-cig fire using a UF3000 cell? I would think it would be a public service to publish that.

Me.
I did post on that a few days ago minutes after it happened.
Twice.
C.B.
:evil:

mdocod

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2010
Colorado
Hello breaktru,

While most (if not all) something-fire brand chargers lack ideal charge methods for li-ion cells, the methods used need compounding time to wreck their havoc on cells. In other words, the abuse is generally mild, and needs to add up over the course of many cycles. The type of abuse gets harder on the cell as the cell gets older.

The WF-139 when used with large format lower resistance cells usually isn't a problem because the charge voltage isn't likely to exceed ~4.25V. However, with the UF3000 cells, which have unusually high resistance for an 18650, repeated charging in a WF-139 may have exposed the cell to charging voltages in excess of 4.25V frequently. That could introduce a safety problem.

Consider perhaps that a quality made cell is likely to shrug off lousy charge methods with minimal issues. A quality charger may be able to reduce the risk of using cheaper cells. Combining cheap cells with bad charging methods has a multiplicative effect on the danger.

Eric

clyde2801

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2009
In the land of no hills and red dirt
For those wanting to save a buck and buy UF's off of fleabay, be advised about the difference between protected and unprotected batteries. Chinese vendors aren't especially quick to point out they're selling the unprotected ones.

From what I've been able to ascertain, protected ones have a silver background on the label (and vendors are quick to point out they're protected) and unprotected ones have a white background. The unprotected ones generally sell for $3-4 bucks a throw in groupings of 4, 6 or more.

I dallied with the protected UF's for a while, but prefer the AW IMR's.

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
Woke up this morning at 6:30am and found my Ultrafire 18650, 3000mah still charging from 4pm yesterday, it was HOT and I immediately pulled it out of the charger. Waited a half hour and measured 4.07 volts. It was on an Ultrafire WF-139 charger that from what I have read is problematic with overcharging. I've charged them several times on a TR-001 Trustfire several times with no problem coming off the charger at 4.17v and cool to the touch. Maybe it's not the battery but the charger that is giving the UltaFire batteries a bad rap.
Cigarbabe, what charger were you using?

Breaktru the charger I was using and still use for the smaller batteries is a Trustfire-tr 001.
I have since the "fire", taken to using a Pila IBCT 4 stage charger which I love as far as the ease and efficacy.
I feel confident though it is also made in China, that it should be better made. {I hope!}
Thanks to WonderLite for answering my questions about using this particular charger!:)
C.B.
:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread