Ultrasonic coil cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heath54

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2016
Western New York
I was wondering if anyone has cleaned Geek Vape Aero tank mesh coils in a ultrasonic cleaner. If so how were the results, how long to leave them in the cleaner and what liquid should I use in the cleaner? I was thinking of just using water. Just trying to get a bit more life out of the coils.
Thank you
Heath54
:toast:

Reactions: stols001

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
We used to boil coils and then rinse in alcohol (everclear or vodka). I think back then there was a realistic fear the ultrasonic would break the tiny wires. It couldn't hurt to try if the coil is otherwise useless.

I would fill a small jar with alcohol and set that in the ultrasonic. The vibrations will transfer and the lid keeps it from evaporating.
I know from cleaning other coils it will probably take some scraping if you can't dry burn the crust to ash first.

• Agree

Heath54

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2016
Western New York
Still worth a try as long as cautious filling.
There has to be a way to rewick them and the mesh should be good for a few builds.
Going to try cleaning a couple of the coils. It can not hurt as they are not much good the way they are. Also going to take one apart and see if it can be re-wicked. The cotton appears to be packed in there pretty tight. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Heath54

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Going to try cleaning a couple of the coils. It can not hurt as they are not much good the way they are. Also going to take one apart and see if it can be re-wicked. The cotton appears to be packed in there pretty tight. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Heath54
There are some yt tutorials for this.

Heath54

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2016
Western New York
There are some yt tutorials for this.
Thanks for the info in yt. I did take one and ran it in the ultrasonic for half an hot in hot water and changed the water and ran it again for half an hour. Looks like it did a good job. Time will tell when I try it.
Heath54

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Cleaning factory Coils is an exercise in futility, seriously.

Back when I used to vape factory Coils it tried cleaning with Vodka, Everclear even in an Ultrasonic. Bottom line is Cotton breaks down an you toss the coil. With my rebuildibles on average I swap my cotton weekly that is why on my coils I get around 4 months or more. But with Factory coils you don't have that option unless you can replace the cotton.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Cleaning factory Coils is an exercise in futility, seriously.

Back when I used to vape factory Coils it tried cleaning with Vodka, Everclear even in an Ultrasonic. Bottom line is Cotton breaks down an you toss the coil. With my rebuildibles on average I swap my cotton weekly that is why on my coils I get around 4 months or more. But with Factory coils you don't have that option unless you can replace the cotton.

If people took that attitude we would still be vaping 801s and replacing attys often.

It may be futile. But you never know until you try. And someday someone who tries may have a method that works better than all those who tried before. Then that person tells their method of rebuilding a Vivi-Nova coil. Then the people who learn from that start applying that knowledge to other coil heads. Soon China is making rebuildables.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
If people took that attitude we would still be vaping 801s and replacing attys often.

It may be futile. But you never know until you try. And someday someone who tries may have a method that works better than all those who tried before. Then that person tells their method of rebuilding a Vivi-Nova coil. Then the people who learn from that start applying that knowledge to other coil heads. Soon China is making rebuildables.
That's why one just gets an RTA and/or RDA.

And as I mentioned I tried cleaning Factory Coils before, that is a major reason why I got into RDA's and RTA's. I stand by my comment, cleaning factory coils is an exercise in futility. Cotton breaks down

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
That's why one just gets an RTA and/or RDA.

And as I mentioned I tried cleaning Factory Coils before, that is a major reason why I got into RDA's and RTA's. I stand by my comment, cleaning factory coils is an exercise in futility. Cotton breaks down

I agree but RTA mesh isn't equal to the drop in mesh yet (and I like my RTA mesh both with screen and Vapefly stamped mesh).
There has to be a way to renew the drop ins even if it means replacing cotton. Maybe some tea bags or blue foam.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I agree but RTA mesh isn't equal to the drop in mesh yet (and I like my RTA mesh both with screen and Vapefly stamped mesh).
There has to be a way to renew the drop ins even if it means replacing cotton. Maybe some tea bags or blue foam.
For that the best way to go is just dissect the factory coil, I rebuilt for a bit my factory OG Crown Coils.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
For that the best way to go is just dissect the factory coil, I rebuilt for a bit my factory OG Crown Coils.

That was my plan with the Plexus coil for Scion II when I thought they have some for TC. I figured it would need both sides cleaned.
I did rinse the mesh coil successfully but it wasn't well used since I don't like wattage mode.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are times you just wanna clean a coil. I stopped doing it mostly because I didn't know how clean they were getting, and they tended to die unpredictably. But, I also wanted to find out that information for myself. Etc.

It's a perfectly good rationale to switch to rebuidables but the answer to how to clean a coil is not buy an RTA. There are various methods of cleaning them, and they may or may not be successful. Some coils you can get sorta clean and all, but there are methods to cleaning coils that will give them a few days more life, how healthy they are is debatable, but it can, in fact be done. I know this because I have done it. More than once.

Anna

Reactions: Myk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread