Under the white paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsewsure

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2009
Stuttgart, Germany
I read on another thread where someone was upset that their paint was chipping or pealing off of their e-cig. Mine started chipping off, too, but I noticed that it was stainless underneath so I sanded the rest and got the below finished product (right). I absolutely love it, I sanded 2 more batteries. The one of the left is what it looked like before. The only problem is that the center ring on the atty is brass so it'll tarnish in, like, 2 or 3 days but I just took some really fine steel wool to shine it up.

The problem that I found would be for those of you who drip because the metal without the white paint gets pretty hot.

stainless.jpg

imsewsure

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2009
Stuttgart, Germany
Good Job. What grit sandpaper did you use? My white 510 is chipped too, and I see it's stainless underneath. I was thinking about doing the same thing, too lazy though.

LOL, Robert. To be honest, the first battery started chipping and I'm so lazy I just thought I'd eventually get it all chipped off by just chipping a little here and there. I got sick of having little white specks all over me, though. I have a sharp-sided metal nail file and was able to chip it faster but I noticed it was also scratching the surface so I pulled out a regular, cheap emory board that I have in my desk and started with the rough side of that and ended with the smooth side. That worked but it didn't go very fast.

Last night I pulled out my sandpaper and steel wool. The sandpaper is "fine" but I don't remember the grit, I'll check that and get back to you. The steel wool didn't work to take the paint off, I ended up just using it to polish everything at the end.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
check igetcha69's vids for one about blinging out his Platinum EVO. he uses a handheld drill to sand down the paint, probably a lot easier, and shows you how :)

It's a good video if you are going to do it. I don't know if I would go to the trouble with the mouthpiece though... would probably just get a black one.

^ Thx4 the clip, dedmonwakin! :thumbs:

The last part--shaving the cart--you can use a filer or chisel. They both are much easier and quicker to shave off the cart than with the knife.

I still think sandpaper is best as avoids the chances of getting any deep scratches.

For sheer speed, try a sandblaster ;)

nitemarch

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
An easier way to be rid of all the paint is using Methylated Spirits. I used mine to clean the atty (not sure if recommended or not by others but worked a dream in getting rid of the burnt taste-atty like new again!). When I took it out of the M.Spirits I placed it is very hot water then noticed the paint had started to come off...right off! (DSE901). Had to be careful doing this with the battery as cannot soak it, but still worked when sponging it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread