The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Under the white paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by imsewsure, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. imsewsure

imsewsure Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 13, 2009
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I read on another thread where someone was upset that their paint was chipping or pealing off of their e-cig. Mine started chipping off, too, but I noticed that it was stainless underneath so I sanded the rest and got the below finished product (right). I absolutely love it, I sanded 2 more batteries. The one of the left is what it looked like before. The only problem is that the center ring on the atty is brass so it'll tarnish in, like, 2 or 3 days but I just took some really fine steel wool to shine it up.

The problem that I found would be for those of you who drip because the metal without the white paint gets pretty hot.

[​IMG]

2. Robert

Robert Moved On

Jun 18, 2009
    San Diego, CA.
    Good Job. What grit sandpaper did you use? My white 510 is chipped too, and I see it's stainless underneath. I was thinking about doing the same thing, too lazy though.

3. imsewsure

imsewsure Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 13, 2009
    Stuttgart, Germany

LOL, Robert. To be honest, the first battery started chipping and I'm so lazy I just thought I'd eventually get it all chipped off by just chipping a little here and there. I got sick of having little white specks all over me, though. I have a sharp-sided metal nail file and was able to chip it faster but I noticed it was also scratching the surface so I pulled out a regular, cheap emory board that I have in my desk and started with the rough side of that and ended with the smooth side. That worked but it didn't go very fast.

Last night I pulled out my sandpaper and steel wool. The sandpaper is "fine" but I don't remember the grit, I'll check that and get back to you. The steel wool didn't work to take the paint off, I ended up just using it to polish everything at the end.

4. Ryle

Ryle Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 21, 2008
    Durant, Ok
    I'm going to end up doing this to my 510.. was dripping without a cartridge and my atty's all chipped up now.. I guess I should learn not to chew on my PV :p

5. kinabaloo

kinabaloo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Any sandpaper will do. Ideally sand around the tube rather up and down; best is to twist the tube while wrapped in the sandpaper.

Produces a really nice finish :)

And a slimmer e-cig too

6. framitz

framitz Moved On

May 24, 2009
    RSM, CA
    Not sure it's worth the trouble, but if you work your way down to 1000 or 2000 grit sand paper followed by Mothers or other good metal polish you can easily get a chrome like/polished stainless finish. I did this with my first e-cig (SE-G) after using a knife to scrape the paint off (scraping was a lot faster than sanding initially).

7. Flitzanu

Flitzanu Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 9, 2009
    Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
    check igetcha69's vids for one about blinging out his Platinum EVO. he uses a handheld drill to sand down the paint, probably a lot easier, and shows you how :)

8. four2109

four2109 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 9, 2009
    S. Indiana
    It's a good video if you are going to do it. I don't know if I would go to the trouble with the mouthpiece though... would probably just get a black one.

9. kinabaloo

Any sandpaper, sanded around the tube produces a nice 'brushed platinum' look.

A medium paper is best, but any will do, if not too fine.

10. dedmonwakin

dedmonwakin Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2009
    Destin,FL.
  11. Rogue X2 v2

Rogue X2 v2 Moved On

Apr 27, 2009
    ^ Thx4 the clip, dedmonwakin! :thumbs:

The last part--shaving the cart--you can use a filer or chisel. They both are much easier and quicker to shave off the cart than with the knife.

12. kinabaloo

I still think sandpaper is best as avoids the chances of getting any deep scratches.

For sheer speed, try a sandblaster ;)

13. iduditz

iduditz Full Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i used a pair of small scissors and shaved it that way.. worked brilliantly

14. Robert

Robert Moved On

Jun 18, 2009
    San Diego, CA.
    Took me a while but, I did it too. Haven't done the atty yet. This is a work in progress. I will start my own thread when it's done. I also, ripped off the ash cap, and well, it's really bright now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice Nhaler Freebie

[​IMG]

15. nitemarch

nitemarch Full Member ECF Veteran

Aug 11, 2009
    An easier way to be rid of all the paint is using Methylated Spirits. I used mine to clean the atty (not sure if recommended or not by others but worked a dream in getting rid of the burnt taste-atty like new again!). When I took it out of the M.Spirits I placed it is very hot water then noticed the paint had started to come off...right off! (DSE901). Had to be careful doing this with the battery as cannot soak it, but still worked when sponging it on.

16. Kilroy2.0

Kilroy2.0 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2009
    Madison, WI
    I just used steal wool on my 901's that were chipping. I just keep some in my supply box in the coffee table by the couch. If I am watching a movie of TV, I just work on them then.

-g

17. Symmetric

Symmetric Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 25, 2009
    Dallas, GA, USA
  18. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 24, 2009
    It doesn't get any easier than this to remove paint........

View My Video

Just need to be careful not to get this stuff on plastic pieces like manual switch buttons and ash end caps; it will dissolve them.

19. nitemarch

nitemarch Full Member ECF Veteran

Aug 11, 2009
    thanks for the vid h8isgr8.

20. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 24, 2009
    My pleasure. :thumbs:

I suggest using a paper towel or rag to wipe the stuff off. I had already started the video when I noticed I didn't have either of those things around, so I had to use my finger. Any residue left over after wiping the bulk of it off cleans up very easily with plain water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.