Uniform firmware for many devices - ArcticFox + NFirmwareEditor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I just picked up a RX gen 3 and the first thing I did was put articfox on it and it runs great! One of the reasons I bought this mod is because it was compatible with artic fox. I'm in heaven lol
All the mods I use are compatible with arctic fox. I probably wouldn't consider a mod that isn't.

A new feature was added I don't think I understand called coil temp that apparently applies to watts mode? When I display it it shows 70 F and doesn't change. is this a way to fiddle with the assumed resting temperature? Has anyone figured this one out yet? Here is the note and link to it.
"added Live Coil Temperature to info lines and device Monitor.
Note: temperature in VW Mode displayed as 21 °C / 70 °F, and you understand why."
[P11] ArcticFox 170914

I don't understand why or what it adds.

Reactions: 52anddone

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015

Not sure, I may look at it later (I'm using Sept. 09 on on all of mine ATM).

I keep "Last Temp" in the VTC's top line, but I have a "Coil Temp" in that build as well. Seems "live" as it cools down between draws.
No guess what adding "Live" to the new build does. :D

In VarWatt mode it's available but, as mentioned, remains at the 70F default.
That's too bad (I think). Not sure without giving it some skull sweat, but I might see the utility of the additional data in power mode, even if the mod isn't acting on it.
Perhaps more to assuage fears of max temp reached, but perhaps more as well.
I don't think any comfortable power mode draws are outside a safe range, but I could be wrong. Certainly, we've gone along this far without it.

eta: Even just the time writing this post... nope, don't see the utility in power mode (yet). ;)

ETA2: I don't play with the Pico's display much... right now, I can't figure how to change other than the bottom small line "on the mod" in power mode... and nothing much there holds any utility for me. :D

Last edited:

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I just picked up a RX gen 3 and the first thing I did was put articfox on it and it runs great! One of the reasons I bought this mod is because it was compatible with artic fox. I'm in heaven lol

ArcticFox compatibility is definitely a requirement (or at least a very strong preference) for me when buying a mod. Unless there is something else which draws me in – a design that I particularly like or 20700/21700 battery compatibility are two examples – every regulated mod I purchase will be ArcticFox compatible.

The extra features, especially the percentage-based power curve / preheat, and the attractive yet "clean" Foxy interface, are just too good to pass up. The only things I dislike are that the battery voltage at the bottom of the Foxy skin doesn't show voltage under load like the other two skins, and the fact that it is not open-source as required (it's a fork of another firmware that is open source).

• Agree

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
A new feature was added I don't think I understand called coil temp that apparently applies to watts mode? When I display it it shows 70 F and doesn't change. is this a way to fiddle with the assumed resting temperature? Has anyone figured this one out yet? Here is the note and link to it.
"added Live Coil Temperature to info lines and Device Monitor.
Note: temperature in VW Mode displayed as 21 °C / 70 °F, and you understand why."
[P11] ArcticFox 170914

It doesn't add anything in VW mode. It stays at 70° F in VW mode because the temperature cannot be determined. The feature was added for TC modes, and since you can switch between VW and TC modes from within a profile, having the info lines you chose be persistent (but with dummy output in VW mode) makes sense from a UI perspective. The only other options would be to blank out that line or automatically switch it to a different setting when you change to VW mode.

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver Canada
ArcticFox compatibility is definitely a requirement (or at least a very strong preference) for me when buying a mod. Unless there is something else which draws me in – a design that I particularly like or 20700/21700 battery compatibility are two examples – every regulated mod I purchase will be ArcticFox compatible.

The extra features, especially the percentage-based power curve / preheat, and the attractive yet "clean" Foxy interface, are just too good to pass up. The only things I dislike are that the battery voltage at the bottom of the Foxy skin doesn't show voltage under load like the other two skins, and the fact that it is not open-source as required (it's a fork of another firmware that is open source).
Agreed on all points. I can live with the ....ty 510 because I can always take them apart and modify or replace it like I did with the primo v2 and the rx200. A good firmware is hard to find, it makes or breaks the mod, IMO.

As for voltage under load, I think it does show it. I'll have to confirm another time because today I am using my VooPoo drag and my DNA75, left the arctic fox devices at home.
I recall looking at my primo v2 resting voltage and it was at 3.6v, thinking I can get a few more vapes out of it before I had to charge it since I was on the can. After a couple of vapes I noticed that it was really weak. I watched the screen and fired it, resting voltage was 3.5v and firing went down to 3.3v

• Agree

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I know I really like Arctic Fox, I put it on my Presa 100TC 26650 about a month ago, and have been into the battery cutoff voltage feature and re-set that from the 3.35v that it cutoff at from the factory, and changed that to 3.10v, so now I get more battery time before I have to switch out batteries. I also slightly changed the Battery curve to utilize the change I made to the cutoff voltage. I am in Power mode exclusively and really like the "Live Resistance" reading and also being able to look at the active Battery Sag showing on the screen each time I hit the Fire Bar. Arctic Fox is really a nice upgrade from what the manufacture gave me in the Presa 100TC.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
It really is too bad that this Firmware is not more popular than it is. I think it is Fantastic firmware for the devices that are compatible. I first read about it when I took a stroll over to "The Vaping Forum" and stumbled across a review on the Sinuous P80, where the reviewer mentioned in the review post that this firmware would work on the P80 also. So, that is when I checked Arctic Fox out for myself. I had never heard of Arctic Fox before that. I agree with many of you though, if this lone person in Russia could break into the software provided with these devices, figure out what language the manufacturer was using, and go in and do a complete revamp of that software and add so many new features without even touching the hardware, then why the heck couldn't the manufacture do the same thing in the beginning. If they had of done something like Arctic Fox and put it on all their offerings, I think that they would have had customers beating down their doors to buy their devices right from the start. They would have had a problem keeping up with demand on their whole range of products. Very short shortsightedness on the manufacturers part, IMHO. This firmware alone turns a Average device, into a Stellar device, again IMO.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
It really is too bad that this Firmware is not more popular than it is. I think it is Fantastic firmware for the devices that are compatible. I first read about it when I took a stroll over to "The Vaping Forum" and stumbled across a review on the Sinuous P80, where the reviewer mentioned in the review post that this firmware would work on the P80 also. So, that is when I checked Arctic Fox out for myself. I had never heard of Arctic Fox before that. I agree with many of you though, if this lone person in Russia could break into the software provided with these devices, figure out what language the manufacturer was using, and go in and do a complete revamp of that software and add so many new features without even touching the hardware, then why the heck couldn't the manufacture do the same thing in the beginning. If they had of done something like Arctic Fox and put it on all their offerings, I think that they would have had customers beating down their doors to buy their devices right from the start. They would have had a problem keeping up with demand on their whole range of products. Very short shortsightedness on the manufacturers part, IMHO. This firmware alone turns a Average device, into a Stellar device, again IMO.
I agree that what it does for compatible devices is fantastic. But it is somewhat persnickety to get set up initially. And the documentation for it is ... well, un-simple to decipher. But once you get it running right, and once you understand the features it offers, AND once you remember that it is offered free of charge it's wowsers.

The only non-Arctic Fox compatible device I use now is a Smoant Battlestar. That's ok--the device doesn't need it to get TC right.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I agree, the doc's are def. not in the A+ category, their just "passable". For someone that doesn't have much experience in vaping, the doc's don't help much, even if you do have experience you have to read between the lines. PLUS, I'm coming from using it for VW on the compatible devices, for TC/TL I always use my HΩ tech devices so I can use Kanthal/NiCr. I'm not all that enamored with regular TC/TL to begin with, and never have been. Like, it doesn't bother me one bit if when I set the temp to say 450°F but the device is actually doing 500°F (and there are plenty of devices that will do that). It is so hard to get an accurate temp reading on the coil (measuring it I mean) that it is a guesstimate anyway I figure. I set my HΩ tech devices up to TC/TL to taste anyway using Kanthal/NiCr. I think that maybe just set AF up the same way in TC/TL. I figure that if it taste good then it must be right, no matter the numbers. I think that the numbers in TC/TL are just arbitrary anyways, on all devices, even those much touted DNA's. Or are you Not talking about the numbers and accuracy of TC/TL, just about how you get there and all the setup before hand in AF ?? I will admit, there are a lot of settings one has to wade thru in temp with AF, and I'm not too sure what a few of them really do, I have been there in temp looking around some, but I just chalk it up to inexperience on my part.

BTW Cowboy, do you have any Idea what that PID setting is supposed to be all about, and how it works ?? I have No Clue at All, like is it for Temp, or can it be used in VW. There is a prime example of where the Documentation Falls apart and doesn't give you much. One would think that a New term and setting like PID would be explained a little, or a lot, better ya know.

For VW, I think AF can't be beat, and that's what I use it for. I like it so much that I might even name my next kid after it :shock:. Na, just joking, but I really do think it is some very Slick Firmware.:thumbs::thumbs::thumb:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread