Uniform firmware for many devices - ArcticFox + NFirmwareEditor

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Personally, for me the tc while using the firmware just didn't work well. Using the joyetech/Wismec/eleaf firmwares now.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
Thats why I've kept it.. TC just isn't working for me. I also think the eleaf FW is a bit smoother.
But the VW control with the AF firmware is much better than the Eleaf.. the Power Curves allow me to control the vape temp the way I want TC to do it.

SO I have 1 TC profile to keep trying with. And 7 VW profiles.

Only problem I have is. I think I'm wearing out the USB port.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 52anddone

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Personally, for me the tc while using the firmware just didn't work well. Using the Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf firmwares now.

My first priority after installing the firmware was to get the devices firing exactly the same as with stock firmware. As far as I can tell that's accomplished. What the software is doing for me right now is helping me learn how i vape. i use an "old fashioned" rda with temp control. After redripping the watts spike to my max setting of 30 but temp is usuallly 100 degrees below my 400 F setting. When the wick is dryer the device hits the 400 degree max immediately but the typical watts is about 5. (The lower temperature liquid feels warmer because it's more dense.) This is all predictable but it's useful to see the actual numbers. I seem to do a lot of vaping when the coil is on the dryer side which reduces juice consumption, extends battery endurance, and is probably healthier. This software gives my pico puffs time and number of clicks and it's resetable with the buttons. That information plus recharging with a USB meter that lets me know how many mAh was consumed in a day, and eventually mAh per ml, which at the moment is appearing to be about 500 mAh per ml I'm interested in this stuff because i'd like to be in charge of vaping instead of vaping being in charge of me. I'd rather be vaping 3.5-4 ml per day instead of 7.

• Useful

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I think stock FW just not show actual T with so fast frequency. If you not change "PI-reg" values it should works as original firmware.
Eventually I'd like to play with the TC power curves, the PI values. i hesitate because i don't know the default values used in the stock firmware. Do you know what those are? I also hesitate to use the battery presets because the firmware doesn't say what those settings are.

I would also be nice to know what the default firmware settings are for preheat in tc mode, if those are functional in TC mode.

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I think stock FW just not show actual T with so fast frequency. If you not change "PI-reg" values it should works as original firmware.
I can't tell if the PI settings do anything on the Pico so far..... could be I have just not found the right build for TC yet..... or the right settings.

Dreamject

Dec 15, 2016
Eventually I'd like to play with the TC power curves, the PI values. i hesitate because i don't know the default values used in the stock firmware. Do you know what those are? I also hesitate to use the battery presets because the firmware doesn't say what those settings are.

I would also be nice to know what the default firmware settings are for preheat in tc mode, if those are functional in TC mode.
You could use MyEvic firmware Readme myevic/README.md at master · ClockSelect/myevic · GitHub

• P, I, D

The 3 parameters controlling the Proportional, Integral and Derivative part of the PID algorithm. You should familiarize yourself with the PID algorithm before playing with those parameters. Many papers exist over the internet on the subject.
    A long fire resets the parameter to its default value.
    Default values are (600,850,0). They are general-purpose values that should work in most cases, but may not be perfect and need to be tuned for any particular setup.
    Algorithm is implemented in its independant form.
    Sample time (50Hz) is scaled to one for parameters uniformity.
    Units: P is expressed in mW/°C, I in mW/°C/s, D in mW.s/°C.
Battery preset has responsability to cut-off (zero value and cutoff) and percent which displayed

Anyway, you could still read myevic guide
Battery model.
You can specify your battery brand and model among several ones: 25R, 30Q, HG2, HE4, VTC4, VTC5 and VTC6. "GEN" is the generic battery used by default and should be used for any other model of battery or for built-in battery.

Custom Battery:
By pressing the Fire button during two seconds while editing this option, the battery model changes to "CUS" (Custom Battery). The box will use the user-defined battery discharge curve and settings. Those informations can be edited using NFirwareEditor discharge profile editor (see NFirwareEditor documentation for more information).
The NFE compatibility mode must be set to ON in the expert menu for NFE to recognize the box as compatible.

At the moment, battery model information is used by the firmware to compute a more accurate state-of-charge than the generic setting, and to avoid battery stress by limiting max Amp draw. Max Amps by battery model is based on Mooch's stress tests and are fairly reliable.

On boxes with built-in battery (AIO, Basic, eGrip II, Cuboid Mini), this option should be kept on the "GEN" setting unless you've taken your box apart and manualy replaced the internal battery pack by something else.

Actually, I think, you could invite on GitHub the AF developer to this forum. He is interested in donations and he likes adequate users. Also, it could motivate him for better guide)

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
You could use MyEvic firmware Readme myevic/README.md at master · ClockSelect/myevic · GitHub

• P, I, D

The 3 parameters controlling the Proportional, Integral and Derivative part of the PID algorithm. You should familiarize yourself with the PID algorithm before playing with those parameters. Many papers exist over the internet on the subject.
    A long fire resets the parameter to its default value.
    Default values are (600,850,0). They are general-purpose values that should work in most cases, but may not be perfect and need to be tuned for any particular setup.
    Algorithm is implemented in its independant form.
    Sample time (50Hz) is scaled to one for parameters uniformity.
    Units: P is expressed in mW/°C, I in mW/°C/s, D in mW.s/°C.
Battery preset has responsability to cut-off (zero value and cutoff) and percent which displayed

Anyway, you could still read myevic guide
Battery model.
You can specify your battery brand and model among several ones: 25R, 30Q, HG2, HE4, VTC4, VTC5 and VTC6. "GEN" is the generic battery used by default and should be used for any other model of battery or for built-in battery.

Custom Battery:
By pressing the Fire button during two seconds while editing this option, the battery model changes to "CUS" (Custom Battery). The box will use the user-defined battery discharge curve and settings. Those informations can be edited using NFirwareEditor discharge profile editor (see NFirwareEditor documentation for more information).
The NFE compatibility mode must be set to ON in the expert menu for NFE to recognize the box as compatible.

At the moment, battery model information is used by the firmware to compute a more accurate state-of-charge than the generic setting, and to avoid battery stress by limiting max Amp draw. Max Amps by battery model is based on Mooch's stress tests and are fairly reliable.

On boxes with built-in battery (AIO, Basic, eGrip II, Cuboid Mini), this option should be kept on the "GEN" setting unless you've taken your box apart and manualy replaced the internal battery pack by something else.

Actually, I think, you could invite on GitHub the AF developer to this forum. He is interested in donations and he likes adequate users. Also, it could motivate him for better guide)
Thanks for the feedback. I put a post on the developer's forum with a suggestion and he responded. I suggested it might be worthwhile to have a setting where temperature monitoring worked in power mode. That means there is a report of max temperature but no temp control. I believe this would help with understanding differences between power and tc mode. At the moment the developer is concerned that this might confuse users. I made a suggestsion about how he might address that. So we'll see what happens. Also i wrote to pbursardo and suggested he do a youtube review of Arctic Fox. That might be helpful.

I'm really enjoying having this firmware.

Dreamject

Dec 15, 2016
I suggested it might be worthwhile to have a setting where temperature monitoring worked in power mode.
In DNA as I know it could be aesier: there is still ThermoControl mode, but it has not limit... But...

As I understand you, you want to just indicate actual Temperature. If you just vape, you could set max 315 C (or what you prefer). Actually, I do not beelive you could vape on this temperature, your cotton will be too hot. But if you burn your coils, it could help, may be. Another way is changing TCR.

• Informative

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
In DNA as I know it could be aesier: there is still ThermoControl mode, but it has not limit... But...

As I understand you, you want to just indicate actual Temperature. If you just vape, you could set max 315 C (or what you prefer). Actually, I do not beelive you could vape on this temperature, your cotton will be too hot. But if you burn your coils, it could help, may be. Another way is changing TCR.
I'd like to be able to see temp in VW mode when using Device Monitor. .... be nice displayed on the mod too.

• Agree

Dreamject

Dec 15, 2016
I'd like to be able to see temp in VW mode when using Device Monitor. .... be nice displayed on the mod too.
)) if you use TC, until TC limit it's just VW - because TC is VW with some rules.

And it's not "possible" to see "coil temp". Varios coil has varios TCR (or TFR), so, you should set what kind of metal you use. Also, original VW does not turns "TCR check", may be it affect on battery.

With coil's material choosing in VW you get about 1:1 interface like TC. Much more easy to unset limit on TC. Also, if you like VW interface in mod you could change T. dominantion option.

• Informative

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
)) if you use TC, until TC limit it's just VW - because TC is VW with some rules.

And it's not "possible" to see "coil temp". Varios coil has varios TCR (or TFR), so, you should set what kind of metal you use. Also, original VW does not turns "TCR check", may be it affect on battery.

With coil's material choosing in VW you get about 1:1 interface like TC. Much more easy to unset limit on TC. Also, if you like VW interface in mod you could change T. dominantion option.
You have pointed out the solution and I have suggested this to others in the past so i should have figured this out myself. If I set the temperature limit to the maximum allowed I'm vaping in power mode for practical purposes and i should still be able to see the max temperature reached. There's no reason to add the feature too power mode since it can be created in temp mode.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
You have pointed out the solution and I have suggested this to others in the past so i should have figured this out myself. If I set the temperature limit to the maximum allowed I'm vaping in power mode for practical purposes and i should still be able to see the max temperature reached. There's no reason to add the feature too power mode since it can be created in temp mode.
This assumes you are already getting a good vape in TC.... what if you are getting a good vape in VW using a self created curve...... and you find that those settings don't translate to TC. At least as far as you have found.....

Wouldn't it be nice to see temp wise on the graph what you VW mode is generating? Could be I don't like the feel of the hit when the TC kicks in vs always on power of VW.

Truth is i still like a mechanical vape better than regulated...
Problem with the mech is that sweet spot is a small period of time per battery charge. VW I get close and the hit is more repeatable. With TC I find myself constantl th having to adjust up or down between hits. Just to maintain a consistent feel.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
This assumes you are already getting a good vape in TC.... what if you are getting a good vape in VW using a self created curve...... and you find that those settings don't translate to TC. At least as far as you have found.....

Wouldn't it be nice to see temp wise on the graph what you VW mode is generating? Could be I don't like the feel of the hit when the TC kicks in vs always on power of VW.

Truth is i still like a mechanical vape better than regulated...
Problem with the mech is that sweet spot is a small period of time per battery charge. VW I get close and the hit is more repeatable. With TC I find myself constantl th having to adjust up or down between hits. Just to maintain a consistent feel.

I don't want "consistancy". I want control. I run only temp control at 30 max watts and 400 degrees and never change those settings except to dry burn a coil for rewicking. When I want a more dense puff I saturate the coil. But I spend a lot of the time vaping on a dryer coil because it's enough. That lets me take a lot of puffs without using so much power and liquid. A freshly saturated coil spikes the 30 watts but temperature stops at 300 degrees. With a drier coil the temp spikes to 400 but watts stay around 5. The 300 degree puff feels warmer than the 400 degree puff because the vapor is more dense. I use an 'old fashioned' rda so i can vary the liquid saturation easily. When I build a coil I want a tiny separation between the loops then take care that the wicking goes in without pulling the loops togther. This seems to make my single coil stainless tc builds better behaved.

Dreamject

Dec 15, 2016
Man, TC works so (without prehit):

send x wattage to coil (like VW)
until temp >= y
Then reduce wattage until temp~y
If temp <y then increase wattage (not more than x) until...

I do not think you able to vape on 315 C (you could try), but, if you set that value and turn off Temp Dominantion, you get VW-like mode

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Man, TC works so (without prehit):

send x wattage to coil (like VW)
until temp >= y
Then reduce wattage until temp~y
If temp <y then increase wattage (not more than x) until...

I do not think you able to vape on 315 C (you could try), but, if you set that value and turn off Temp Dominantion, you get VW-like mode

I'm surprised the mod companies didn't make firmware with these features and the tool box. I wanted puffs time and puff counter in the pico from the start. They could have included that. But these kinds of devices should provide for third party software devlopment. It's a good way for the companies to have value added to their product. Do you know if the firmware could keep track of mAh and be resetable like the puffs time?

I watched. A russian music video? A lot of production in that and tricks i haven't seen before. what does it promote?

Dreamject

Dec 15, 2016
I'm surprised the mod companies didn't make firmware with these features and the tool box.
I think it's commertial. I've read when some developer of same firmware wrote about his firmware on official forum, he was banned permanent immideatly.

Now brands can use same hardware and wrte some soft-features for new devices. If you want to get "advantage" expirience then you must buy expensive mods like DNA.
Do you know if the firmware could keep track of mAh and be resetable like the puffs time?
My be, if developer want)
Offtopig:
I watched. A russian music video? A lot of production in that and tricks i haven't seen before. what does it promote?
Just Leningrad band clip, they are cool)

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I think it's commertial. I've read when some developer of same firmware wrote about his firmware on official forum, he was banned permanent immideatly.

Now brands can use same hardware and wrte some soft-features for new devices. If you want to get "advantage" expirience then you must buy expensive mods like DNA.

My be, if developer want)
Offtopig:

Just Leningrad band clip, they are cool)
Right now I'm using a USB testing device to measure how many mAh are needed to recharge my LG HG2 from empty. I've learned, after a year in service that one has 2500 mAh of capacity. I would be nice to have that on the mod if all that's requied is a software tweak. From limited observation it appears I use 500 mAh to vaporize 1 ml of liquid. if there is a consistant, reliable relationship i want to learn what it is.

Here is the device, I've just started using it but so far so good.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3JSEG6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Right now I'm using a USB testing device to measure how many mAh are needed to recharge my LG HG2 from empty. I've learned, after a year in service that one has 2500 mAh of capacity. I would be nice to have that on the mod if all that's requied is a software tweak. From limited observation it appears I use 500 mAh to vaporize 1 ml of liquid. if there is a consistant, reliable relationship i want to learn what it is.

Here is the device, I've just started using it but so far so good.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3JSEG6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I don't think that's possible. The actual capacity used will depend on the current drawn and other factors. When you're measuring the mAh under charge it's the capacity at that particular charge current. What you actually get out of the battery under discharge varies. The mod would have to do very precise monitoring of the batteries and calculations if you want reliable data. I don't think it's as easy as "mAh per ml", unless perhaps for only that specific set of batteries under those specific conditions. I.e., your mAh per ml for Samsung 25r A at 30w will not be applicable to LG hg2 C at 50w. It's very possible that I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread