Status
Not open for further replies.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I am toying with the idea of upgrading my hcigar Magic Box. With a thicker copper strip or silver,and a thicker 510 connect plate,or silver ?
If anyone has,or is in the proccess of upgrading this device,any input would be much appreciated.

The one thing that I am worried about is the copper strip. I might not be able to upgrade to a thicker piece because there is not a lot of room to fit anything thick . I would say it is about 2-3mm down the side for the strip(which is covered by the plastic casing.

Reactions: stols001

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I am toying with the idea of upgrading my hcigar Magic Box. With a thicker copper strip or silver,and a thicker 510 connect plate,or silver ?
If anyone has,or is in the proccess of upgrading this device,any input would be much appreciated.

The one thing that I am worried about is the copper strip. I might not be able to upgrade to a thicker piece because there is not a lot of room to fit anything thick . I would say it is about 2-3mm down the side for the strip(which is covered by the plastic casing.

Plating isn't cheap and honestly may not be worth the price. I'd say look into better quality copper, doesn't have to be thicker, it's all about the purity. Honestly for the cost of a good plating job, you'd be able to buy another mod with better internals. Actually if you're having problems, you might be better off going regulated but that's a whole different can of worms, lol.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Plating isn't cheap and honestly may not be worth the price. I'd say look into better quality copper, doesn't have to be thicker, it's all about the purity. Honestly for the cost of a good plating job, you'd be able to buy another mod with better internals. Actually if you're having problems, you might be better off going regulated but that's a whole different can of worms, lol.
Not having problems,just thinking about going to different material and/or thicker if possible,which I do not think it will be.
I like the mech squonker I go to it a lot just want to customze it if possible.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Not having problems,just thinking about going to different material and/or thicker if possible,which I do not think it will be.
I like the mech squonker I go to it a lot just want to customze it if possible.
So you want to fix something that isn’t broken in the first place. This rarely turns out well.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
No not fixing something that is not broke. Just upgrading the internals that simple.

What @t8kiteasy is getting at is, if you're not getting a hot button or low performance you may not see a gain by doing any work. I play with stuff I have, so no room to say anything, lol but I'd have to agree. If everything is working without issue, you maybe better off as is. Now having spare parts and such is never a bad idea.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Without changing too much you can improve by increasing the contact area between 510 and spring/lever.
Filing the shape of the 510 contact point into the spring/lever will do that. The smaller the contact point the higher the resistance of it (and the higher the volt drop, which you don't want).
Be careful though, don't file like a maniac without checking regularly if what you're doing is correct ;)

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
If you do as untar says, you should see an performance increase. If you are determined to change the contacts out, you should look into some high quality silver to get the most out of the upgrade. Doing what untar suggested will be the most cost effective solution. Changing contacts to silver will make a difference, but likely not a huge difference.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
I can't do an upgrade anyway. I took the parts out for a look and clean. The 510 for this mech is screwed in with 2 hex nuts and the silvered out upgrade kits do not come with a 510 compatible with this device.

Not doing an upgrade it is pointless to upgrade the copper strip to silver if you can't upgrade everything else.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread