FDA URGENT - US Senate HELP Committee - Thursday 2:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

qreepii

Jul 14, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
After rewatching and thinking over last night I've come to a couple of thoughts.

First being that we are really looking at a non partisan issue for once. Although if anything happened on the floor we'd quickly see that vanish I'm sure. As a progressive I haven't seen many opportunities to agree with republicans over the last few years and I'm very happy to have been able to do that with Senator Burr.

The biggest oh crap moment I noticed was Mr. Zeller's response to Sen. Burr (paraphrasing) we don't know enough to answer any questions but we know enough to regulate ecigs a into the ground first and then research whatever is left for a few years then we can answer questions.

This is an issue for me. I agree that we should wait for the science to give us an informed decision. However our first regulating attempt should not cause of the exit of the vast majority of this fledgling industry.

Lastly how about the opposition argument be something besides "what about the children?" This argument is valid but not to the point where is the answer to every positive argument made during the hearing. Nicotine juice products aren't currently sold directly to minors in any state that I know of, perhaps some additional age verification on internet based sellers I would be fine with. But currently the children argument is not appropriate, I believe the counter to that argument remains parents and our existing laws that ban tobacco and nicotine sales to minors.

If our community's industry has been making these products available to minors in some deliberate way than I think we can all agree the law has appropriate responses to that situation rather than the regulated destruction of a promising industry of mom and pops non corporate business. This is the small business and innovation that both sides of the aisle have preached as being essential to the American Way.

Rant over

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A

I think a lot more of this kind of stuff needs to happen.. it's highly effective for all sorts of reasons..

It really doesn't take much to use a graphics program, whether it's MS Paint or Photoshop, etc..

Heck, even just Google "meme generator"...

If you visit the "CDC tobacco Free" Facebook, for example, you'll see at the "Photos" page that they've been at the same thing for quite a while now..

We've been busy playing defense way too much all these years.. It's time to go on the offense, even if it's something as simple as the above graphic..

History buffs here will know that many wars are lost when on defense..

For those familiar with the Second Punic War, for example, Hannibal (the guy with the elephants crossing the Alps) was kicking Rome's .... for a long time -- until Rome decided to stop playing defense so much, suddenly went on the offensive & attacked a surprised & unprepared Carthage, and won..

At that point, the Roman Empire then began to really flourish... :vapor:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
After rewatching and thinking over last night I've come to a couple of thoughts.

First being that we are really looking at a non partisan issue for once...............................

Really, you could have fooled those of us who have been around awhile.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/democratic-senators-e-cigarette-ban-us-capitol-103125.html (Dems push Capitol e-cigarette ban)

Senate Democrats To Hold Hearing Against E-Cigarettes | The Daily Caller

And it goes back as far as 2009:

Sen. Lautenberg wants to snuff out electronic cigarettes | TheHill

I could go on but that would be piling on. The other side has been mostly quite, unfortunately. Congressman Stevens, FL (R) was pro-vaping, but he lost his last election. As our advocate Bill Godshall has pointed out, we need to encourage more on the other side of the aisle to get vocal, like Senator Burr just did.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The most impactful thing vapers (who live in states of a Senate HELP Cmte member) can do in the next week is call or write your Senator (either in DC or at one of their state offices) expressing outrage at the comments made by Senator Harkin and CDC's Tim McAfee at yesterday's hearing, praising the statements made by Senators Alexander and Burr, telling the Senator how you quit smoking (or reduced cigarette consumption) by switching to vapor products, and urging the Senator to oppose the FDA's proposed deeming regulation because it would ban nearly all e-cig products now on the market and give the e-cig industry to Big Tobacco.

Letters and calls to Harkin, Alexander and Burr would also be very helpful (as Harkin needs to hear that he's dead wrong, while Alexander and Burr need to hear support for their statements, as we may need their help again if Harkin decides to keep pushing his agenda).

US Senate HELP Committee
U.S. Senate
US Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, & Pensions: Home

Democrats

Tom Harkin (IA) Chair
(202) 224-3254
Contact Tom

Barbara Mikulski (MD)
(202) 224-4654
Senator Barbara Mikulski: Contact My Offices

Patty Murray (WA)
(202) 224-2626
Contact Me - United States Senator Patty Murray

Bernard Sanders (VT)
(202) 224-5141
Contact - Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont

Robert P. Casey, Jr (PA)
(202) 224-6324
Contact - U.S. Senator Bob Casey of Pennsylvania

Kay Hagen (NC)
(202) 224-6342
Kay Hagan | U.S. Senator for North Carolina

Al Franken (MN)
(202) 224-5641
Al Franken | Senator for Minnesota

Michael Bennet (CO)
(202) 224-5852
Michael Bennet - United States Senator for Colorado : Contact Michael

Sheldon Whitehouse (RI)
(202) 224-2921
Contact | United States Senator Sheldon Whitehouse

Tammy Baldwin (WI)
(202) 224-5653
Email Tammy | Contact | Tammy Baldwin | U.S. Senator for Wisconsin

Christopher Murphy (CT)
(202) 224-4041
Contact | U.S. Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut

Elizabeth Warren (MA)
(202) 224-4543
Email Elizabeth | Elizabeth Warren | U.S. Senator for Massachusetts

Republicans

Lamar Alexander (TN) Ranking Member
(202) 224-4944
E-mail Me - Contact - U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander

Michael Enzi (WY)
(202) 224-3424
E-mail Senator Enzi - Contact - United States Senator Mike Enzi

Richard Burr (NC)
(202) 224-3154
http://www.burr.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm

Johnny Isakson (GA)
(202) 224-3643
E-mail Me - How Can I Help? - U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson

Rand Paul (KY)
(202) 224-4343
Contact Rand Paul | United States Senator

Orrin Hatch (UT)
(202) 224-5251
Email Orrin - Contact - United States Senator Orrin Hatch

Pat Roberts (KS)
(202) 224-4774
E-mail Pat - Contact - U.S. Senator Pat Roberts

Lisa Murkowski (AK)
(202) 224-6665
Contact - United States Senator Lisa Murkowski

Mark Kirk (IL)
(202) 224-2854
Contact Mark | Mark Kirk | Senator for Illinois

Tim Scott (SC)
(202) 224-6121
Email Me | Senator Tim Scott

SensesFailed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
Berwick, PA, USA
Just curious for my fellow PA residents, if you sent a message to Senator Casey through the senate.gov website, when did you send it under? I looked through the Message Topic and can't really find something that fits the topic at hand. Since this was a Health committee that's what I was thinking about putting it under, but wanted to get feedback from the other state residents.

Coelli

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
After a couple of messages on Harkin's Facebook page I decided to pay a visit to Ms. Boxer as well.

Ms. Boxer,

I am a Democrat and have voted for you. I would like to think that you have a conscience, so I am voicing my dismay that the Party, and you as my representative, are actively working to make e-cigarettes less available and less appealing to adults. You are on the wrong side of history here. I cannot believe that the 480,000 lives lost every year to combustible tobacco products vs. the ZERO deaths from e-cigarettes means nothing to the Party. Please weigh your conscience and decide whether 480,000 deaths is worth less to you than the loss of revenue as people stop smoking cigarettes and turn to e-cigarettes, which even the FDA's Zeller has himself said (in yesterday's hearing) would be in the interest of public health. People's lives are on the line here.

While I have never been a single-issue voter, this is one issue that may change that. My mother will be 80 this year and quit an almost 65-year habit by switching to e-cigarettes - and not the ones sold by Big Tobacco. That means a lot to me.

The current knee-jerk reaction to this new technology is utterly abhorrent. E-cigarettes have quickly become one of the biggest advances in public health we've seen in decades. It's a burgeoning industry full of small business owners. This is a hugely important issue and I, as well as many other Democrats, urge you to reconsider your stance and instead embrace this new technology as something that is saving and extending people's lives.

We are supposed to be a party that relies on science, not ideology or plain emotion to drive us forward. The only conclusion I can come to is that this is about the loss of tax revenue and MSA funds. Please prove me wrong, so I don't have to start voting for "the other guys."

Thank you.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Nearly all of the Senators webpages require you to pick from a list of subjects that have nothing to do with tobacco, e-cigs, FDA or even public health. So many folks just chose a subject that they thought most similarly resembled the issue, and many folks chose different subjects than other folks. Regardless, staff (or often interns) of Senators read many/most letters sent, and they'll keep tabs on how many letters were sent regarding the FDA deeming regulation.

Also, please don't criticize Senators for not showing up at yesterday's hearing, as many had other more pressing (in thier minds) matters to deal with (e.g. yesterday's Senate hearing on the VA hospitals was packed with Senators, as all Senators want to be perceived as very concerned about veterans, especially when many veterans have reportedly died because of incompetence by VA hospitals).

I was pleased that Harkin was the only D at the hearing, because other liberal Ds probably would have joined forces with Harkin in criticizing e-cigs.

Last edited:

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
The most impactful thing vapers (who live in states of a Senate HELP Cmte member) can do in the next week is call or write your Senator (either in DC or at one of their state offices) expressing outrage at the comments made by Senator Harkin and CDC's Tim McAfee at yesterday's hearing, praising the statements made by Senators Alexander and Burr, telling the Senator how you quit smoking (or reduced cigarette consumption) by switching to vapor products, and urging the Senator to oppose the FDA's proposed deeming regulation because it would ban nearly all e-cig products now on the market and give the e-cig industry to Big Tobacco.

Letters and calls to Harkin, Alexander and Burr would also be very helpful (as Harkin needs to hear that he's dead wrong, while Alexander and Burr need to hear support for their statements, as we may need their help again if Harkin decides to keep pushing his agenda).

<Rest of post not shown>

I have messaged Harkin, Alexander, and Burr regarding their comments at the HELP meeting. Non of the HELP members are from Missouri. Would it be helpful for us that are not from a HELP members state to make our Federal Legislators aware of our views about the meeting? I have previously let them know my views in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread