USB car & wall adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMBKJ

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2010
Colorado
I've had a usb passthrough for about a week and I must say I was NOT impressed. I just read this thread and so plugged my passthrough into the
um, thingamajiggee, powerstrip/surgeprotector that the computer is plugged into, using my ipod wall adapter. WOW! Completely different experience and lotsa vapor. So, I guess, my usb port doesn't put out enough to really fire up this thing.

Oops well actually it was today's topic USB PASSTHROUGH QUESTION that I read and inspired me to plug in...

Last edited:

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
USB passthroughs come in 2 flavors; one with an inline battery (the rectangle box) and one without (just a single wire).

The one with a battery just needs enough current to keep the battery charged and almost any USB port will provide that. It's the battery that powers the passthrough, and probably at only 3.7 volts.

The one without the battery will need enough to power the passthrough at 5 volts and most computers, light duty AC chargers/adapters, and DC adapters/chargers (for the car) won't do that. The output of the charger/adapter needs to be a least 1 amp (1000mAh) but 2A (2000mAh) is preferable.

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
The one without the battery will need enough to power the passthrough at 5 volts and most computers, light duty AC chargers/adapters, and DC adapters/chargers (for the car) won't do that. The output of the charger/adapter needs to be a least 1 amp (1000mAh) but 2A (2000mAh) is preferable.

I picked up my USB Car adaptor from the local electronics store it’s made to charge cell phones and power GPS systems and puts out lots of power. I use my pass through in the car when out all day or at the deck when working and love it. And at home I hook it up direct to the power strip with a USB extension cable and USB wall adaptor for my Cell phone.

richs10

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2010
Maryland
I just had an issue with my (non-battery) 5 Volt passthrough this weekend. I originally bought it and the AC adapter from Madvapes. The AC adapter's output stated on the sticker on the back is "5 Volt, 2 Amp". It worked fine with the passthough.

I then got an eGo and a Riva which also came with AC adapters for the charger. I accidentally tried to use one of those with my passthrough and all I got was blinking lights on the end of the passthrough. I thought my passthrough was shot.

It took me a while to realize that the AC adapters that come with the eGo and Riva are only rated at "5 volt, 500 mAmp". That's why the passthrough would not work....not enough power. The power draw is also the reason why I won't use the USB plug on my computer. My laptop is worth way more than a $10.00 2 Amp AC converter. Make sure any converter you buy is at least 2 amp. Why take the chance?

FWIW, they also have 2 Amp converters for your cigarette lighter in your car if you want to use the passthrough while driving.

Rich

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If your USB is supplying 5vdc to a 2.5 ohm atty, the current draw will be 2A.

I=E/R

The above will be accurate for a non-battery, direct USB pass through. The battery box passthroughs simply supply 3.95 volts while charging the battery from the USB port. Mine is a 360mah battery, so I get better vapor from a 510 atty and I can carry it around for backup if my PV battery fails. I think I prefer the battery box PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread