USB over current notice *Error*

Status
Not open for further replies.

impcat

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
North Carolina
Bornagainst has posted regarding using the passthrough on a Mac laptop. I wish I could recall what he has said--the only thing I can remember is that he said you need to use a USB port on a particular side of the laptop. I just can't remember "which" side of the laptop he referred to using.

If he doesn't pop in here shortly to answer your question, you might consider sending him a private message and asking his advice for this issue.

Sorry I don't have the answers you are seeking, but hopefully this will lead you to someone who can help.

Last edited:

MrSmokinToad

Mar 9, 2010
California
Bornagainst has posted regarding using the passthrough on a Mac laptop. I wish I could recall what he has said--the only thing I can remember is that he said you need to use a USB port on a particular side of the laptop. I just can't remember "which" side of the laptop he referred to using.

If he doesn't pop in here shortly to answer your question, you might consider sending him a private message and asking his advice for this issue.

Sorry I don't have the answers you are seeking, but hopefully this will lead you to someone who can help.

I thought he said buy a PC :w00t:..... no he didn't. :evil:
Here's a thread on that subject...http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/vapor4life/77740-power-surge-usb-port.html

I think I said thats why... I'm a PC. :thumbs:

bornagainst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
www.villagermt.com
I have two USB ports on my MACBOOK PRO.

One on the left side, one on the right.

I get that error when I put my passthru on the right hand side, not when I use the left side.

Also, if you get that error, a simple re-boot will solve the problem.

I have NO scientific reasoning for this, just works for me.

Hope it works for you.

:)

bornagainst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
Toronto, Canada
www.villagermt.com

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Don't use premium cartos on a PT connected to a computer. Or add current limiting (which kinda defeats the purpose)

Their resistance is low enough that it crosses the threshold of current delivery spec'd for USB 2.0. USB 3.0 will be/is ok though.

Doesn't the current requirement of even the old standard cartomizers exceed the standard (no Battery Charging Standard) USB 2.0 output specification (500mA)?

jazzguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2010
Plano Tx
Monkey Arms - you can pick up a USB wall adaptor or a rechargeable battery pack with USB output (I believe Kensington makes one that folks rave about). Just be sure to get one rated at 2A (1.5 should work as well, but more is better). It might also say 1500 or 2000 mA, don't let that fool you - 1000 mA = 1A.

A powered USB hub works too, and is a nice thing to have anyway!

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Doesn't the current requirement of even the old standard cartomizers exceed the standard (no Battery Charging Standard) USB 2.0 output specification (500mA)?

That's in negotiated modes (5 units).

These are classed as "battery chargers" and the port should either provide 1A or 1.5A to the device. There's a bit of a concern since the connector itself is not safely rated over 1.5A.

[Sorry - I didn't see the second part of your post "no BCS"] These devices don't have negotiation, so can't negotiate units. Under the latest spec I've seen, they fall into the BCS.

It's a total CF of a "standard". I think the Battery Charging portion of the spec in its latest "glory" is publicly available. I'm still logged in but try: http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/batt_charging_1_1.zip

"Powered USB" is up to 6A, but uses a different connector and is more rare.

MrSmokinToad

Mar 9, 2010
California
And Windows 7 was a BAD idea.

*giggle*

:D:D

My PT works better on Win 7 than Vista..... Vista keeps asking if I want to allow Kamel 24mg to vape :-x... The PT also works better with XP although, NT , 98, and 95 are stable enough now to work. Win "ME" still is not stable enough to run Firefox let alone anything else.

:lol:At least you can go to a "Genius" site/store to vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread