Zeus USB Passthrough Current Draw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Got my new Zeus today. All I can say is WOW! Awesome work guys. Vapor is Great! Will give it a full test run at work tomorrow. Fits in a MagLite AAA flashlight holder perfectly. I really needed a good way to carry around my PV at work and this is perfect. (All though it will probably be in my mouth most of the time, lol.)

My question is:

How much current does the Zeus draw while in passthrough mode? I would really like to know those stats please.

I measured its voltage output wile vaping and its 5.0V. The Smileomizers average about 2.5 ohms. That puts it at 2 amps. So, maybe 2.25 amps to be safe if the voltage goes a few points over 5V and if the carto’s resistance run on the low side of maybe 2.3 ohms.

So, does anyone know exactly what its drawing at the USB port while vaping (in passthrough mode)? It may not draw directly from the USB port. I don’t have a mini USB breakout board or I would measure it myself.

My disappointments: I thought it was a micro USB connection. (My bad, I assumed.) Actually mini is better though because I’m sure that is more durable, but I don’t have any Mini USB cords lying around anymore. (Micro galore!) I did find an old phone charger to at least charge it up. Also, I thought it would fit into the USB V4L batty charger. It does not. I will order some USB cords from Monoprice since I need some other cords as well.

This information would help me a lot in what I may have here or what I may have to get. Also, I really don’t want to draw more than 2 amps out of my laptop USB port.

Damn, I’m certainly gonna’ order more of these. I’d love to see the large version too. When will that be coming about?

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
If I remember correctly, it does not draw directly from the USB. It only charges and all the electricity comes from the battery when vaping, even while it's attached. Meaning that you will not be able to vape if the batt is completely dead, even if you have it plugged in. You'll have to let it charge a while before being able to use it. You'll want to wait until someone can confirm though, I'm only going on my memory and it's not that great.

Also from what I've heard this batt can only be charged on the slim line V4L charger (and the USB obviously). That is for safety reasons as the USB charger has a tendency to overcharge batts.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
If I remember correctly, it does not draw directly from the USB. It only charges and all the electricity comes from the battery when vaping, even while it's attached. Meaning that you will not be able to vape if the batt is completely dead, even if you have it plugged in. You'll have to let it charge a while before being able to use it. You'll want to wait until someone can confirm though, I'm only going on my memory and it's not that great.

Also from what I've heard this batt can only be charged on the slim line V4L charger (and the USB obviously). That is for safety reasons as the USB charger has a tendency to overcharge batts.

That what I figured but yeah, I'd like to be sure.

Roccov

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2012
Philly
vaporreporter.wordpress.com

You are correct Ms Harmony. Memory seems to be just fine you tech head you. :)

BHam

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago, IL
www.vapor4life.com
+1 to the replies :).

The Vapor Zeus draws power from the battery itself when it's in passthrough mode. I am trying to recall one talk I had with Morandir sir, and I vaguely remember him saying that there is some power taken from the USB by well under 1amp. I want to say around .5 amps, so very little power taken from the USB. I will follow up with him and update you later.

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
Awesome! The data I needed: 500mA. Thank you guys very much. (It is Ms. Morandir sir.) I did find some USB breakout boards but I have no mini's. I didn't want to order some just to find out.

Zeus is fantastic! Lasted me all day. What helps is ejuice with WTA. I don't super chain vape, so the small Zeus work great. I would still be interested in a large version anyhow when ever that comes to fruition.

One interesting note. It is sensitive to wind. In auto mode, I had the window open in the truck. If wind blow just right into the USB port, which is kind of easy, it fires off. Actually you can just tap your finger over the port to make it fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread