Using a multimeter - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Title says it all really - I'm an electrical nubkin so Ive never used one of these before - how exactly do I use one to measure what voltage my Buzz is using (to find my sweet spot and also gauge where I am on the 'turns' )
Mine was a cheap analog multimeter btw, from Walmart - around $10. (can't find one to link sorry but it has the red and black leads that are basically like long wires with prongs at the ends)

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
So it has a needle indicator on it ?? if so try this tutorial Analogue Multimeter :: Electronics and Radio Today

They have different scales for the different voltage settings as well as for OHMS so it takes some time to figure out but it is not that hard
It is all about the dial setting and the scale you are on

Multimeters are essential.

The other day two 900mAh mega eGo batteries stopped working on the same day. I assumed they were dead and cut into one with a dremel to see how they're made. Later I noticed my wife's 900mAh battery wasn't charging, so I pulled out my multimeter and checked the charger. It was bad.

Now I wish I'd checked my charger with a meter before ruining a $25 battery!

I have a digital. When you can afford one, I'd recommend one because they're easier to read.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
the cheaper the better, just get digital. i like the $3 ones at Harbor Freight

Dang, thanks Charlie...there is a Harbor Freight store here in Manchester :)

I knew I forgot to ask for something in my divorce settlement! Keep your money...gimme my tools dammit
scare3.gif

kwcharlie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Houston
acrigs.com

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Electrical wiring is something I leave to the experts...I know just enough to know I'd blow myself into next month! The tools I miss are my woodworking power tools. I don't have room for them or a place to work living in an apartment :(

One of my hobbies used to be making simple, rustic reproduction farmstyle antiques. Things like pie safes, six board chests, etc. I also did the punched tin door panels for my pie safes...all that hammering is good for the soul!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread