Using a PT in your auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokingBullet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2010
Southern Utal
I've read that lots of you use your PT while driving. I take frequent long trips. Changing batteries, and connecting batteries for charging while driving isn't safe.

I originally bought the V4L Ultimate kit which includes a USB charger etc. I also have 2 car USB plug in's but I don't know if either will work to run my PT. I don't want to 'test' them on either one of these before knowing which to use; I don't want to mess up my PT in any way.
I have the following two cigarette lighter car plug in's:

1) Car Charger Input: DC 12-24V, Output: DC5V +/- 0.1 500mA

2) Input: DC 12-24V, Output: DC5.0V +/- 5%, Max 2000mA

Although 1 says 'Car Charger' on it, I don't know if it's just a charger or if I'd be able to plug my PT into it and use it?

What are you all using to run your PT while driving?

Ardeagold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2010
Maryland
I have an eGo USB PT, but it's different than most PT's because it has a battery. The battery charges when connected to the USB while you vape with it, if you want. Or you can just charge it that way...then unplug and use.

I've used mine with my car cigarette lighter USB adapter. Both to charge, and to vape while charging.

wader2k

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
NE Illinois
I've read that lots of you use your PT while driving. I take frequent long trips. Changing batteries, and connecting batteries for charging while driving isn't safe.

I originally bought the V4L Ultimate kit which includes a USB charger etc. I also have 2 car USB plug in's but I don't know if either will work to run my PT. I don't want to 'test' them on either one of these before knowing which to use; I don't want to mess up my PT in any way.
I have the following two cigarette lighter car plug in's:

1) Car Charger Input: DC 12-24V, Output: DC5V +/- 0.1 500mA

2) Input: DC 12-24V, Output: DC5.0V +/- 5%, Max 2000mA

Although 1 says 'Car Charger' on it, I don't know if it's just a charger or if I'd be able to plug my PT into it and use it?

What are you all using to run your PT while driving?

The 2nd one you listed should work. It is rated at 2000mAmps ...that is equivalent to 2 Amps.
The 1st one you mentioned is rated at 500mA or 0.5 Amps. That is NOT sufficient to power the PT.
The PT needs 2 Amps to function properly.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
I use the cigarette lighter adapter that came with my v4l kit. It's under 10 dollars by itself, but I believe it's out of stock right now (didn't see it on the site). I keep my pt in my car, saves me from having to worry about switching batts while driving. Only wish my work truck had 2 cigarette lighters so I could use it there while listening to xm.

tj1100cl

Oct 11, 2010
Atlanta
Any USB car adapter rated at 1-2 amps should be sufficient. I don't know the actual draw of a passthru, and haven't been able to find it, but i am using it in my laptop with USB 3.0 which is 900mA and it powers it fine.

most USB adapters are 2.0 which is only 500mA or half an amp. that's not enough. newer smart phones have the same issue, they require 1000mA usually, which is 1amp. So look for USB car adapters that say they will power the new smart phones. 1-2 amp or 1000-2000mA will do it. Power is shared, so if the car adapter has two USB ports, and you want to charge one while vaping another, you'll need the combined draw for each. so a battery charger and a passthru may be 500 + 1000mA so you'll need that 2000mA charger.

a google search for 2 port USB 2000mA charger should set you up quickly.

wader2k

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
NE Illinois
Any USB car adapter rated at 1-2 amps should be sufficient. I don't know the actual draw of a passthru, and haven't been able to find it, but i am using it in my laptop with USB 3.0 which is 900mA and it powers it fine.

most USB adapters are 2.0 which is only 500mA or half an amp. that's not enough. newer smart phones have the same issue, they require 1000mA usually, which is 1amp. So look for USB car adapters that say they will power the new smart phones. 1-2 amp or 1000-2000mA will do it. Power is shared, so if the car adapter has two USB ports, and you want to charge one while vaping another, you'll need the combined draw for each. so a battery charger and a passthru may be 500 + 1000mA so you'll need that 2000mA charger.

a google search for 2 port USB 2000mA charger should set you up quickly.

Depends on whether you are using WowCarts or CoolCarts ...Wow Carts are lower resistance and will draw more current. I wanna say they are 2.8ish ohms. 5Volt/2.8Ohms= 1.79 Amps.
1 Amp ratings are not sufficient in this case.

2 Amp is the minimum I'd spend money on.

jamvector

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Wisconsin
Get 2A period. The iPad draws more current than any cell phone, and there are adapters labeled as "compatible with iPad", which requires 2A steady-state to power - so if you see one labeled for use with iPad, chances are it will be fine. There are many instances (and postings) where lower-rated power supplies work, but they are probably down-binned (meaning the rated current is the minimum, it could be higher); in other words, the one you buy that has the same current rating may not work as well as the person who says theirs works great.

technovapir

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Seattle, WA, USA
Just today I noticed that when I use my passthru in the car, when the radio is on, I get a high pitched whine out of the radio while I'm drawing on the pt. I figure my old jeep is having some power issues! The sound kind of goes up & down like a little siren while I'm vaping and it's kinda cool to hear....Smoking was Never this entertaining unless I dropped my cigarette between the console & the seat while I was on the freeway!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread