using high ohms in mech mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterKuzman

Mar 21, 2018
how does it affect the vaping experience ? also does using higher gage (28 instead of 24) affect ramp up time and enhances the hit in comparison to using the same ohms with the less gage wire ? does it affect the flavor ?

i am asking those questions as i am stepping into mech mods but i dont like usually the big clouds as long as i am having a good flavor , also i like my battery to last longer through the day and not needing to carry a spare charged battery .

much appreciated guys and thank in advance for all the help i get .

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
In very general terms:

Heating Coil "Resistance", or "Ohms"

Lower Ohm Coils Will:
  • Thicker wire (more mass) heats slower than thinner wire (ramp time)
  • Produce More Vapor
  • Drain The Battery Faster
  • Use E-Juice Faster
  • Produce A Warmer Tasting Vape
Higher Ohm Coils Will:
  • Thinner wire (less mass) heats faster than thicker wire (ramp time)
  • Produce “Less” Vapor
  • Provide A “Cooler” Tasting Vape
  • Use Less E-Juice
  • Prolong Battery Life
Using thicker gauge wire came into being when the notion that more coil surface area improved the flavor and vapor production. I'm not so sure that is the truth.

My question for the OP is why are you considering using a mech mod?

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Finding the right balance between wire gauge, resistance and airflow is key.
^^^ This.

Everyone experiments with wire gauge, wire type, coil type, resistance, and airflow to find their personal "sweet spot". What one person likes, another person will dislike for whatever reasons.

I disliked using the thicker 24 gauge wire because of the slow ramp up time and the longer coils I ended up with. I disliked using the thinner 30 gauge wire because the number of wraps I ended up with made too short of a coil. I found 26 or 28 gauge wire to be ideal for me, usually resulting in 6 - 7 wraps to make an ideal length coil (dual) for my preferred resistance.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
how does it affect the vaping experience ? also does using higher gage (28 instead of 24) affect ramp up time and enhances the hit in comparison to using the same ohms with the less gage wire ? does it affect the flavor ?
Welcome and glad you joined.
This article should tell you all about wire and flavor, IMO best article ever published on the subject.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...re-and-lower-resistance.706656/#post-16692106
i am stepping into mech mods
Then I can recommend reading:
Mech Mods
why do people choose a mech over regulated?
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/15-inexpensive-mechanical-mod-rda-setup.6589/
Mech mods exploding: history repeating, with no end in sight / Vaping.com - Your One Stop Vapor Shop | vaping.com
Volt Meter 510 Connector by Tobeco
Mech mods & RBAs: Basic to advanced user guide: Pts. one & two | E-Cigarette Forum
i am way below my battery amp limit .
Sounds good, Baditude sometimes likes to change wattage and I do too. I find at high ohm's 2+, that some of my DIY flavor mix's are enhanced with different watt settings.

PeterKuzman

Mar 21, 2018
Welcome and glad you joined.
This article should tell you all about wire and flavor, IMO best article ever published on the subject.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...re-and-lower-resistance.706656/#post-16692106

Then I can recommend reading:
Mech Mods
why do people choose a mech over regulated?
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/15-inexpensive-mechanical-mod-rda-setup.6589/
Mech mods exploding: history repeating, with no end in sight / Vaping.com - Your One Stop Vapor Shop | vaping.com
Volt Meter 510 Connector by Tobeco
Mech mods & RBAs: Basic to advanced user guide: Pts. one & two | E-Cigarette Forum

Sounds good, Baditude sometimes likes to change wattage and I do too. I find at high ohm's 2+, that some of my DIY flavor mix's are enhanced with different watt settings.

really appreciate the help , i read most of the articles and threads you posted , and they are really informative , thanks man !

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
i already own a regulated mod and totally satisfied with it , just need to experiment with something new , so bought the nudge squonker box mod with nudge rda 24mm , i like the idea of using an rda without squonking ,also cheap and long lasting since nothing can go wrong with mechanical mods regarding their operation life
You can use an RDA on a regulated mod.

Plenty can go wrong using a mechanical mod that might not happen with a regulated mod if you are not an informed mech user, that's why I included my link in the previous post.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sounds like a sound plan. :)

I used a RDA and RTA on a mech exclusively for a couple of years. I was quite satisfied with the vape, and enjoyed the hobby aspect of rebuilding.

However, I became a lazy vaper. I wasn't enjoying the hobby aspect as much and making a coil every month and rewicking every 3 - 4 days became a PITA. I found a clearomizer tank using replacement drop in coils that I love and have practically retired my RDA and RTA. I get at least 4 weeks of use with its drop in coil.

Lately, I rather enjoy using a regulated mod where I can adjust my vape according to my mood. For example, I like 30 watts earlier in the day, and sometimes like to push up to 40 watts later in the day. Can't do that with a mech mod. :lol:

Last edited:

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
In addition to what everyone else has said i would like to add that tailoring your juice may improve your experience.
129090.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't know how it will affect your experience, but you can certainly vape higher ohm's on a mech mod should you choose to do so. Probably (depending on how "high" we are talking) you may actually find using more mass may be helpful as if there is more metal to heat up, there's more surface area to generate flavor, and if you are building high you do have more ability to "play around" with your wire gauge and to see what produces the best flavor for you. So, I'd say try different gauges, possibly even an exotic build, but how much metal is in your tank will definitely affect the vape.

Whether it will seem "good" or "bad" to you is going to depend on your preferences which are going to be entirely individual to you. I'm sure others with more experience will be along to help, and offer suggestions as well, but mainly, do some experimenting to find out what is going to work... for you.

Best of luck,

Anna

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
"High ohms" is very subjective. I'm vaping .34 duals on a mech right now, and that's high ohms for me. I used 28 gauge for the build because it heats faster. Also to help with the heat, I went with a tight id of 2mm. I spaced the coils because it's a short 5 wrap coil, and I've found with this build that helps with flavor.

So basically, it's complicated. You can't really duplicate a build with a different build. You kinda need to play around with it and see what you like, but if by "High ohms" you mean something like a 1.8 ohm build or something, it's gonna be a cool, bland vape no matter what wire you use.

PeterKuzman

Mar 21, 2018
You can use an RDA on a regulated mod.

Plenty can go wrong using a mechanical mod that might not happen with a regulated mod if you are not an informed mech user, that's why I included my link in the previous post.

totally agree , it just i am trying the next step in vaping+ squonking + the price was pretty cheap for a kit like that .

i totally understand ohm's law and have been working with it for the past 3 years (engineering student) , just needed some expectations before experimenting on my kit (since it hasn't arrived yet) and to know how much it will affect the vaping experience , mainly i am aiming at using 28 gage wire on nudge rda 24 and getting 0.6-0.7 ohms on a VTC5A , so i am way below my battery amp limit .

PeterKuzman

Mar 21, 2018
Sounds like a sound plan. :)

I used a RDA and RTA on a mech exclusively for a couple of years. I was quite satisfied with the vape, and enjoyed the hobby aspect of rebuilding.

However, I became a lazy vaper. I wasn't enjoying the hobby aspect as much and making a coil every month and rewicking every 3 - 4 days became a PITA. I found a clearomizer tank using replacement drop in coils that I love and have pratically retired my RDA and RTA.

Lately, I rather enjoy using a regulated mod where I can adjust my vape according to my mood. For example, I like 30 watts earlier in the day, and sometimes like to push up to 40 watts later in the day. Can't do that with a mech mod. :lol:

that's why i am keeping my regulated mod next to the mech one

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    On a mech, resistance is your power setting, except inverse. You can build a wide variety of coils to that resistance, but they will all draw the same amount of power from the battery. So, higher ohm means it will be lower power -- that is the only thing you know for sure. This can be excellent if done correctly and is what you want.

From the coil side, wire choice is your only "coarse adjustment" of power (other than number and type of coils). You then home in on the best coil for that size wire. If you use one less wrap, that gets lower resistance and less wire to heat and less ejuice in contact with it, bumping it up a notch. But your options there are already decided by the wire. A great option now is using SS wire. A longer length of thinner wire can make a coil of same effective size that will heat faster, especially helpful when the alternative for that power level is really thick.

PeterKuzman

Mar 21, 2018
    I don't know how it will affect your experience, but you can certainly vape higher ohm's on a mech mod should you choose to do so. Probably (depending on how "high" we are talking) you may actually find using more mass may be helpful as if there is more metal to heat up, there's more surface area to generate flavor, and if you are building high you do have more ability to "play around" with your wire gauge and to see what produces the best flavor for you. So, I'd say try different gauges, possibly even an exotic build, but how much metal is in your tank will definitely affect the vape.

Whether it will seem "good" or "bad" to you is going to depend on your preferences which are going to be entirely individual to you. I'm sure others with more experience will be along to help, and offer suggestions as well, but mainly, do some experimenting to find out what is going to work... for you.

Best of luck,

Anna
    thank you very much Anna , i am planning to experiment a lot but just needed to have some expectations of the results i should get

Last edited:

PeterKuzman

Mar 21, 2018
    "High ohms" is very subjective. I'm vaping .34 duals on a mech right now, and that's high ohms for me. I used 28 gauge for the build because it heats faster. Also to help with the heat, I went with a tight id of 2mm. I spaced the coils because it's a short 5 wrap coil, and I've found with this build that helps with flavor.

So basically, it's complicated. You can't really duplicate a build with a different build. You kinda need to play around with it and see what you like, but if by "High ohms" you mean something like a 1.8 ohm build or something, it's gonna be a cool, bland vape no matter what wire you use.

i am planning to play around 0.6-0.7 ohm on my dual coil nudge rda , is it that high ?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread