Using Vodka for cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddrhodes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
United States
I cleaned out two clearomizers last night using rubbing alcohol and then ran them under very hot water (even boiled one) and both came out great. Honestly, it sounds like you're wasting perfectly fine vodka :) With that said, I didn't protect anything in the setup but I'm not sure what you're using, attys, cartos, just cleaning tanks?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Is there anything that shouldn't be soaked in vodka?

I don't know of any clearos or attys you can't just throw in Vodka or rubbing alcohol. The problem with rubbing alcohol is it's really unhealthy to breath it so you have to make sure it's all gone before you vape with the device.

ETA: PGA (pure grain alcohol) if you can find it is cheaper than Vodka. Everclear is one name it's sold under here.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Will vodka remove the smell of the ejuice?

Most of the time a hot water rinse will do it. If it doesn't, Vodka is better, but some strong flavors will require a dry burn too. I've heard of some people just not being able to get rid of a flavor and they end up leaving it in one device all the time if they want to continue to vape it.

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
I'm not convinced any alcohol... PGA, Vodka, or rubbing... is even necessary for cleaning clearomizers. Been rinsing well with hot water for months now.

Given all the ingredients in juice is water soluble... what is it in the alcohol that folks believe it's cleaning/removing that just plain ole hot water can't?

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
I use the cheapest vodka around in my area (Popov) and I would desperately need a bloody Mary before I ever drank it--nasty--but it works very well for soaking my equipment without fear of torching me or my stuff like isopropyl alchohol will do. It gets rid of all the flavors I use but I don't use any tobacco or sweet, dark, thick stuff at this time so I don't know how well it would work. My experience tells me it will work better than any other "water" method including boiling.

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
I use hot water for rinsing; never had the need for vodka or everclear. I just went from cinnamon to black honey tobacco after a rinse. Started off tasting like black honey with cinnamon, but cinnamon dissipated after vaping a quarter of the tank. It turns out that black honey tastes yummy with cinnamon; might make a juice based on combining those flavors :)

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
I use really cheap vodka. And I often reuse it. I have a small little Rubbermaid container I keep with the lid on so it doesn't evaporate. When I want to clean a head, I drop it in there and leave it for a few hours, take out and let air dry. I find the vodka drys quicker than water, leaves no after taste, wot rust coils like water can, and is better than ISO or other alcohols as I am not worried about any residuals.

When my vodka bath appears dark, I just replace it. I go thru a couple of shots of vodka a week. A big bottle of the cheap stuff will last a long time using this method IMO.

toddrhodes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2012
United States
The tank I cleaned out with RA and hot water last night had the strongest flavor in it that I own AND is a very dark juice. After cleaning and dry-burning about 5 times for 3 seconds each, I refilled it with Zombie Apocalypse and I got hints of Thin Mint (the old flavor) for the first 3-4 pulls. After that, nothing. For what it's worth.

Edit - to clarify, I was not cleaning a rebuildable clearo, just a wickless C5.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I've used vodka and 91% rubbin alcohol in the past but don't find results any different than the way I do it without them. Just referring to heads or atties, my cleaning begins before any washing/soaking. It won't work if you can't use PG but... I fill the emptied clearo with plain (sometimes zero nic, sometimes with nic) PG to about 1/4 and vape it. Then I let it sit at least a day before washing. Then I use hot tap water microwaved a minute, put the atties/heads in it and stir. I use pretty clear juices and only clean about every 6-10 fills but do see some ash in the water with this first step. I do this a second time with new water and keep repeating until no ash is in the water. So far, this works fine. I have wondered, though, if I let them sit longer after vaping PG I would get more ash but haven't had the patience for it so far... I like to "giterdone."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread