Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Vapoor eyes er, I was looking into this the other day and still have a reference handy that says neither Kanthal or Nichrome rust easily. If it really is rust, IMO it's from the tube. Which is weird because as you say they should be plating it if it's not SS.

Weird and thanks for that. Maybe it's juice gunk disguised as rust. I know they flip between using brass or copper as the base and then plating it.
Here's something I found about the composition of Kanthal:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../320042-resistance-wire-kanthal-nichrome.html

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
Yup, it would be a real health risk in vaping gear. It's also a hydrocarbon which could eat any of the plastics in our devices.

Indeed - and just to reiterate for anyone who might be skimming the thead and not reading carefully, my comment about naptha was in response to the other poster's comment about cleaning gun parts, nothing to do with vaping.

Born2Hula

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Close to Philly, USA
Weird and thanks for that. Maybe it's juice gunk disguised as rust. I know they flip between using brass or copper as the base and then plating it.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../320042-resistance-wire-kanthal-nichrome.html

It's definitely not gunk. I even used a tooth brush in the area thinking the same thing. It got out my magnifying glass and it is rust.

Vapoor eyes er, I was looking into this the other day and still have a reference handy that says neither Kanthal or Nichrome rust easily. If it really is rust, IMO it's from the tube. Which is weird because as you say they should be plating it if it's not SS.

If a Pro Tank 2 it's copper or brass material with chromium electroplating. The rust might be from the coil IMO.

It is a ProTank 2. The rust is at the opposite end of the air tube where it is permanently attached to the crossbar. It is not near the coil.

Sadly, nearly every tank I have purchased from this brick and mortar has been defective. 2 ismoka mini BCC's which leak like crazy and now this protank.
He even had to replace the initial kanger I bought before I left the store because there was zero airflow. (I wouldn't leave the store without filling and testing a tank.)
I don't think he's a bad guy, but at this point I think he's purchasing bad supplies which I can only guess now, must be fakes?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

A very informative find Vapoor eyes er. With chromium in Kanthal in the range of 20.5% to 23.5% it's basically SS. 304 and 316 SS have chromium content between 17 to 25%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread