The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

using vodka to thin glycerin

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by asidrave, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. asidrave

asidrave Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 21, 2009
    New Jersey
    which vodka is recommended to thin glycerin? does it have to be a certain proof? how bout flavored vodka?

2. Cellmeister

Cellmeister Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 3, 2009
    Beantown, USA
    Hi asidrave,

My Suggestions:

If your going to thin out VG, Just use a tiny, tiny bit! Depending on the size your doing, it could be just 1 drop, try it, then add a drop at a time, not much is needed for small amounts, especially for 1st time use & testing it out! Don't do it all at once, let it sit, shake, try it now, then try it next day to get your formula right for you.

Always Use The Best Most Expensive Vodka U Can Get, The Cheap Stuff Sucks.

As For Flavors, Thats up to you, but I would suggest using a very tiny amount in a separate little bottle to test it.

Also Always Mix Anything Very Little At A Time! U Don't Want To Mess Up All Your Juice, Cuz There is Really No Going Back.

I use Absolute

Keep vapin!

3. Harry Crazington

Harry Crazington Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Heh, I was reading about the ' alcohol inhalers ' ( now banned in some states ) and thought...hmmm...put a few drops of vodka in my Tennessee Cured ecig cart & smoked it, tasted pretty good. Even felt I had an alcohol buzz after doing it several times that night. Still need to buy some rum & try a few drops on the cash cola juice. Rum & coke flavored juice, yummy.

4. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    The Vodka must be at least 100 proof--Here is the one I have been using, but there are others--Sun

[​IMG]

Smirnoff 100 Proof

5. Flitzanu

Flitzanu Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 9, 2009
    Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
    wait, so, what was the fuss about high % alcohol being...um...set on fire? isn't that a risk with the atomizer heating it up?

6. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    I have been using this for about a month now and no blow ups to report Flitz!!!!lol---Sun

7. Flitzanu

Flitzanu Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 9, 2009
    Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
    damn.

but i only buy cheap vodka! this habit is expensive enough!

8. Harry Crazington

Jan 13, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Yes well most all ejuice is flammable anyway, from the alcohol in the flavorings. That's why I always vape in a full fire suit, helmet & goggles. Dangerous habit !!

9. chicagobrad01

chicagobrad01 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    if the vodka is added would you still pass a breathalyser test? in other words is the alcohol burned off or are you getting buzzed?

10. Programmer

Programmer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2009
    Des Moines, Iowa
    You would certainly not be getting buzzed, but I think your question about whether the tiny amount of alcohol in your lungs would skew the results is valid.

Not sure here, but after the required 15 mins sitting by the side of the road before a PBT is administered, then the handcuffing and vehicle tow, ride to jail, booking, and FINALLY the breathalyzer, I'd say nothing would remain at all. Just a wild guess there. Keep in mind you would not be able to puff on your ecig this entire time. That 15 mins is mainly to make sure you aren't inhaling anything or consuming more alcohol.

Guess it would be simple enough to just do the math, given an average lung capacity and drops of 100 proof vodka? Maybe I will.

11. heathmcse

heathmcse Full Member ECF Veteran

Dec 4, 2008
    Roanoke VA
    has anybody tried everclear 190 proof grain alcohol? i have a bottle in my fridge and i use it to clean atomizers. it works great for that :)

12. lordmage

lordmage Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 15, 2008
    Dundalk,Maryland, USA
    i use very little everclear to cut and it works great by very little i mean little 5 or 6 drops max per 10ml mix but i dont mix more then that

13. Harry Crazington

Jan 13, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Welll...you certainly would get buzzed, and it would not show up on a breathalyzer....Google alcohol vaporizers & read about inhaling alcohol, and the effects. That's why some states have banned them. Vape one ounce ( 1 shot ) and the effect is about like drinking ten shots.

14. Harry Crazington

Jan 13, 2009
    Las Vegas
    .........actually, Google alcohol inhaler, ya get better search results.

15. ZEKE

ZEKE Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    San Jose CA
    is the throat hit noticeably stronger with added grain alcohol??

16. BarryK

BarryK Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 6, 2008
    Essex ENGLAND
    Judging by what you guys are saying, I should be out of my brain most of the time.......

The last 15 ml batch I made up I added 10% Cherry Brandy to the mix, it had the desired effect of taking away some of the 'stickiness' from the glycerine, and may have improved the flavour of the menthol a little, but other than that, no detectable effects.

Mmmm, maybe I should take a breathalyser to make sure I'm not p!ssed out of my brain.

I really cant' see it tho', a 15 ml bottle will last me for a week to 10 days - so I'm inhaling only around 1.5 to 2ml of 60 proof a day.

Got me thinking tho' ........ :confused:

Cheers
    Barry

OOOPS. that should read "0.15 to 0.2ml of 60 proof per day - maybe I am p1ssed.... :0)

17. ZambucaLu

ZambucaLu ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central NY, USA
    So that is you in your pic! :lol:

Lu

18. Programmer

Programmer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2009
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Assuming that is true (haven't checked yet), then to get the buzz equivalent of 1 shot you would have to vape 2.96 mL of vodka in one sitting. Since most folks don't use much more than 2mL of eliquid in an entire day that is not reasonable. Furthermore that's for straight vodka. Even if you cut your regular e-liquid with a staggering 50% vodka (wow!) you still could not get a buzz.

Now if you are TRYING to get a buzz, sure, I'm sure there's all sorts of ways to do it. But adding some vodka to your normal e-liquid and smoking normally isn't gonna do it.

19. Harry Crazington

Jan 13, 2009
    Las Vegas
    True, but what I meant, but didn't say..sorry..was using the Alcohol Inhaler to vape 1 oz. They recommend only inhaling 1, or 2 oz max per day with the inhaler. Maybe because of the risk of an alky overdose, or becoming a mental vegetable..or worse? Anyway they state on their web page that alkys effect is MUCH more profound by inhalation vs. ingestion. One nice side effect is no hangover the next morning, they claim.

20. Harry Crazington

Jan 13, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Ha..yep that's me suited up for vaping. When I get some time I'll Photoshop in an e-cig, some vapor exhalation, & a fire extinguisher next to my avatar. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.