Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle&Ann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Van Buren, Arkansas
Greetings all!

We are very very pleased with our first three batches of DIY juices. Actually quite surprised at how well they turned out. We are using a 60/40 ratio of VG/PG and we are already finding out that we may need to thin these batches. Here is our questions...

Let's say we are making a 10 ml batch and we need to thin it a bit...How much vodka should we use?

Does Vodka effect the taste of the juice?

Any other alternatives to alcohol?

Thanks in advance for your information...this forum rocks!

chrisw21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2013
Satellite Beach, FL
For info purposes, I know that Totally Wicked thins their VG and the proportions are 85% VG, 11.5% ethanol, and 3.5% Deionized water. It is clearly written on the bottle, and they call it Aqueous Vegetable Glycerin.

Ya know, I've done a lot of reading about mixing and it seems like many juice vendors thin their product with water and/or alcohol. Why? Is there a "magic mix" that I'm missing out on or do they do it for financial reasons?? I've seen it even with vendors who use a fair amount of PG, so I think its for more than thinning out their product...

chrisw21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2013
Satellite Beach, FL
Thinning and improving TH are the two reasons I know of.

Someone posted in another thread that they add water to "make the fruit pop". That's the first time I ever heard this about adding water... Anyone else have experience with this? From your personal experience, if you add water (or PGA) when mixing, is it for something other than thinning a VG heavy juice or increased TH???

calismog

Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Los Angeles
well, i can tell you this much. i ran out of PG and a friend of mine who was new to vaping and loved it ran out of liquid and was broke. so i made him a batch of 100% VG TFA pomegranate. it would barely wick. so in desperation i whipped up a small batch using the following recipe:

1ml concentrated flavor
8.5ml pure vg
0.5ml vodka

initially he couldn't taste it, said the flavor was bad, but 2 days later was going coocoo for cocopuffs over it. i had a taste myself and to my surprise it was a significantly BETTER taste than my own 10% 80pg/20vg mix i made. it had that 'vendor bought' feel to it.

this weekend i plan on sitting down and experimenting with adding vodka to my mixes. i know there is a lot of talk about TH but honestly, my friend has never smoked, he just got a nice ego kit from his friend for free and tried it out. he cant vape my juices due to the 'harsh hit' he gets so i'm wondering why the batch i made him was so smooth? i really wish someone with some experience could give me some input on this. my fellow vaper and diy labmate has a theory that since i mixed the vodka and flavor together first then added the vg, it helped the flavor penetrate the vg better. i would prefer to vape 100% vg thinned with vodka as i love my clouds :)

anyone have any input as to why his vodka thinned batch tasted so much more cleaner and better than my own diy batch?

Someone posted in another thread that they add water to "make the fruit pop". That's the first time I ever heard this about adding water... Anyone else have experience with this? From your personal experience, if you add water (or PGA) when mixing, is it for something other than thinning a VG heavy juice or increased TH???

gtbb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Cape Coral,Florida
Hey, gtbb. I just bought a bottle of Everclear in Cape Coral yesterday. I got it at the liquor store in the Camelot Isles Shopping Center, corner of Cape Coral Pkwy and Chiquita. He's got plenty!

You are a life saver!!!!!!! Thanks Joe. Great info there. I shop at Publix often.
Could you help me lift a barrel into my trunk?

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada
I find that alcohol does make the flavour stronger, but also has a very harsh throat hit. I am sensitive to PG, so I try to stick to as much VG as possible. 100 % works great. I thin with 50/50 alcohol/water at 20% ... then let it steep open over night for the alcohol to evaporate, which does not seem to effect it's ability to enhance the flavour, but does get rid of the harsh throat hit.

I find it's very important to let the water/VG base steep before use or else the water wicks out fast, with a very weak taste and leaves the VG for last and not wicking well at all. Using all 3 (VG, Alcohol, Water ) seeping and shaking seems to make all the juices vape totally awesome.

chrisw21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2013
Satellite Beach, FL
You are right, chrisw! I just looked at the label. It never occurred to me that Everclear comes in different strengths. Is nothing sacred?

Nope... Nothing sacred in Florida! You can't buy anything above 153 proof, and you can't buy a good ole' 40oz beer to drink out of a fancy paper bag....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread