tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
why not try a calculation..

dynamic viscosity of water: 1 mPA at 20°C
dynamic viscosity of propane-1,2-diol (PG): 46 mPA at 20°C

that should mean that you can substitute each 1% of PG you would use in a VGPG mixture with 1/46% of water to get the same overall viscosity. not a lot. but it does match my own observations.

sidenote
dynamic viscosity of glycerine (VG): 1480 mPA at 20°C
given this huge value, the effects of substituting PG for water should be rather small.

Last edited:

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Unflavoured VG/DW I use 7 to 11% DW.
If I use flavours I generally add 5% DW and then adjust up until it wicks right and the vaper production is still good but not too much. I dont make the flavours for myself, I make them for others and depend on their feedback for their personal preference. Seems like around 7% is what they are happy with.
I think 10% is about right for me in unflavoured but the last lot I made was 11% and that 1% makes a big difference

Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Just a small technical thing - viscosity doesn't really add up like that. In fluid dynamics approximation formulas are used where for each component of a mix a "viscosity mix number" is calculated (often ln() is involved), then those are added in proportion (by mass or volume) and finally from the result the viscosity of the mix is calculated (by reversing the "mix number" step). That's how it's done for eg oil mixes.
And don't forget viscosity will change with temperature so whatever you calculate at 20°C won't stay there when you heat it up, meaning if it matches the viscosity of PG at 20°C it most likely won't near or in the coil any more.

Best to just try out what works best in your atomizer.
In my experience alcohol is more effective than water at making VG runny so you can use much less of it for about the same effect.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Wait a second. Can I really add vodka into my recipes? Woah.
It makes things really runny really fast. It also seems to vape quite hot to me. If you put enough of it in it unsurprisingly behaves like vaporized alcohol, which can be bad depending on the situation.

• Agree

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
It makes things really runny really fast. It also seems to vape quite hot to me. If you put enough of it in it unsurprisingly behaves like vaporized alcohol, which can be bad depending on the situation.
Do you mean funny? Cause I'm highly interested in this one :p . Also, Is it safe to vape? How do I do it? Just add it and let the liquid breathe?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Bit off topic but why is there not a lot of cocktail flavoured e-juices? There’s rum flavours, coke flavours but no rum and coke flavour. A hint of orange to a sweet bourbon flavour could make a great Old Fashioned. And who doesn’t like an Orange Whip?? (Fresh OJ, Rum, Vodka, Triple Sec, Heavy Cream and crushed ice)

I am not a bartender or a professional mixologist by any means, but love mixing cocktails and have created a few original concoctions. Might have to give this DIY juice making a try.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
For my main base I use 6% distilled water. PG comes from salts and flavors only. My juice generally ends up vaping like 75-80vg juice. If I go higher with dw I get crackling which annoys me but no spit back until around 9-10% dw. PEG400 works well to replace pg, available at Nicotine River for a decent price.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, viscosity and boiling point are two different things. If you use above 10% distilled water you will get a sort of unfortunate watery vape experience that isn't great. I might start with less even like 3 or 5%

I have used vodka in my mixes but kind of halted the practice (same with DW) I am pg sensitive so I was quite close to 90% VG and I vape MTL. So distilled water was helpful in lowering the temp of my vape. I did not get any weird sensations using vodka, it's just that if you use vodka in mix, you will taste it pretty heavily. I occasionally will use Vodka if I think it will be GOOD (and not much at all) but if you use vodka all the time, it ends up becoming flavormix 1 with vodka, flavor 2 plus vodka, flavor mix 17 plus vodka, it just all kind of winds up tasting the same, etc.

good luck with your experiments.

Ana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread