Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thank you both! Guess I'll have to keep one in each hand! I'm trying to slow down. I also notice that I double puff since vaping. I have no clue why? When I smoked, I would take one drag straight in. Now I puff, blow, puff and inhale. Maybe that's why things are heating up as well.

I tend to puff as well; the puff tells me how well my coil is performing, whether it is flooded, or maybe there's an electrical contact problem (once in a while my vamo shuts off apparently on it's own).

Noble Gas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I love how we all vape in different ways, different styles. I don't think it would have ever caught on if there is only one way. That was one of the things I hated about the Blu, you had to draw at just the right rate in order to get anything out of it, and I had a hard time measuring my draw and keeping it consistent.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
HTML:
I haven't gone over 4 watts yet, what a wuss I am! I started at the lowest point and turned it up slowly. Good flavor and vape where I have things set. If I go too high on the voltage, would I get a burnt taste?

When I'm vaping a ton, sometimes the tanks get pretty hot. Is this normal? I get nervous about burning up the coils or frying the batteries.

You're doing it right, starting low and move up till you hit the sweet spot works for every device and topper, it's that simple. Those outdated charts just seem to confuse people. The number anyone vapes at is meaningless as long as they are getting a good vape whether it's 4 watts or 20. Can't really compare numbers as different builds, designs and even juices can require different power levels to hit the sweet spot and yes it's normal for many toppers to heat up when hitting them more often.

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta
You vape over 8 watts on plain single coils straight out of the box?

Use a dripping atomizer. 8 watts is quite low in my opinion. I crank up the voltage on the ProVari until it errors out and then back down one tenth.

Just started using the Janty MiD, thing is awesome, have it set to deliver 10 watts for three seconds, then ramp to 25 for two seconds, and then back down to 10 watts for another 5 seconds. Delightful, and on the stock cartomizer it came with, works sooo good!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Use a dripping atomizer. 8 watts is quite low in my opinion. I crank up the voltage on the ProVari until it errors out and then back down one tenth.

Just started using the Janty MiD, thing is awesome, have it set to deliver 10 watts for three seconds, then ramp to 25 for two seconds, and then back down to 10 watts for another 5 seconds. Delightful, and on the stock cartomizer it came with, works sooo good!

That would be a no then.

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta
That would be a no then.

I vape over 8 watts with everything I have. The Iclear 30s can certainly handle it, the protanks, i threw them very very far. The stock cartomizer that comes with the Janty Mid hits 25 watts with no burnt taste at all. Russian 91 never a problem. I just tried vaping at 8 watts lol, it's like there is nothing there. Personal preference plus devices. The Protanks just tasted like burn at 15 watts, and I did seriously open my door and throw them lol. Some hiker will find them some day and wonder, what the heck is this thing.

Last edited:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Some things to remember!!!!

1. The charts were written as guides. They were based on the type of clearos / cartos available at the time. As many of you have found out, watts don't mean the same for every topper.

8 watts on a Kayfun barely gets it going. 8 watts on my Mini Protanks almost guaranteed burnt flavor. Why?? Because the Mini Protank uses microscopic wicks and have very high airflow which would limit the wicking ability of the wick that was there. Therefore the 8 watt coil would quickly dry out the coil.

On a kayfun, you have usually a tighter draw and massive wicks (compared to the Protank). Now more fluid can get to the head and the atty can keep up.

2. The charts were based on single head attys

Dual head attys hook their heads in parallel. In a parallel circuit the voltage drop across each leg is constant and the resistance in a parallell circuit is not additive. I'm not going into the math. But it works out that a dual head coil is actually made up of two heads in parallel that are twice the resistance of the overall resistance seen or printed on the head.

So a 1.9 dual ohm coil is actually made up of two 3.8 ohm coils connected in parallel. If I used a VW mod and set it to 6.0 watts, then it would calculate the voltage for 6 watts based on 1.9 ohms total resistance, but only 3 watts would go to each head. This is why you can run dual heads higher than single head equivalents.

3. Variable Voltage (VV) and Variable Wattage (VW) are two mutually exclusive ways to get to the same thing.

A variable voltage device simply delivers the voltage you dial in to the coil. It doesn't care what the coil resistance is. (some do, but for the purpose of this explanation it's not important). If you change to a different head, then you will need to change voltage to get the same wattage to the head that you did before. Variable Wattage devices will measure the head resistance and AUTOMATICALLY adjust the voltage to produce the selected wattage.

This seems cool. And if all you vape is the SAME type of atomizer (i.e. protanks, iClears, etc). then Variable Wattage can limit how much fidgeting you do on a device. If I put in a Protank with a 2.5 ohm coil and then swap it out with a Protank with a 1.8 ohm coil, a Variable Wattage device will allow me to set a preferred wattage and each protank should give me the same vape. With Variable Voltage, I'd need to adjust voltage between switching the two tanks.

However, if you vape DIFFERENT style tanks, then Variable Wattage gives you no advantage. As we discovered, 8 watts on a ProTank is miles away from 8 watts on a carto or 8 watts on a Kayfun. Thus the "set it an forget it" advantage of a VW device is removed.

Hope this clears some things up.

Last edited:

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not Appropriate

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
This chart has been outdated for about 10 years and no one should even refer to it. Start low, work your way up.
simple as that.

You're doing it right, starting low and move up till you hit the sweet spot works for every device and topper, it's that simple. Those outdated charts just seem to confuse people. The number anyone vapes at is meaningless as long as they are getting a good vape whether it's 4 watts or 20. Can't really compare numbers as different builds, designs and even juices can require different power levels to hit the sweet spot and yes it's normal for many toppers to heat up when hitting them more often.

^ those.

that's it. no harder, no easier.

that's also why VV vs. VW is a ridiculous debate. if you have a pony in that race, it has lost it's way. period.

watts = the rate of speed an electron is flowing times the difference in charge state between the positive and negative terminals.
watts = amps X volts
watts = power

you need the resistance and physical properties of the component that power is applied to at the very minimum to determine heat applied. temperatures of everything around it and connected to it and how long (time) that power is applied and a lot of math would be needed to determine heat (temperature) according to applied power (watts).

for example, 1 horsepower equals 745.699872 Watts assuming 100% efficiency. what temperature does 745 horses make? :blink:

BP60

Jan 11, 2014
Chicago Area
P.Opus

What you said about VW is what I was kinda thinking. It's a no fuss type deal if using the same atomizer and tanks. I'd rather fuss a little with wattage than voltage, at least if the wattage actually stays the same throughout the life of the battery charge. Different liquids need different amounts of heat but since watts actually generate the heat then it seems VW is the way to go.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
P.Opus

What you said about VW is what I was kinda thinking. It's a no fuss type deal if using the same atomizer and tanks. I'd rather fuss a little with wattage than voltage, at least if the wattage actually stays the same throughout the life of the battery charge. Different liquids need different amounts of heat but since watts actually generate the heat then it seems VW is the way to go.

Keeping the power level the same throughout the life of the battery is the job of the regulator and some do it better than others. Whether it's adjusted by watts or volts doesn't have any effect on that.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
watts DO NOT generate heat. resistance and current does. the resistance is in your coil and the current is dependent on that resistance and the voltage applied to it. temperature is then dependent on the size of the filament/coil and every other outside element that makes up the entirety of thermal dynamics.

watts settings simply read atomizer ohms and set voltage according to your wattage setting. it's not uncommon for wattage settings to be less accurate than voltage settings on the same device since you're relying on the device to do more to get to the same result.

but again. watts vs volts should have no place in a debate. if you use only one type of tank and change heads to a different resistance, then watts would get you almost identical results without adjusting. though, if you ever venture into rebuildables or change your topper, it's a moot point. you'll still have to adjust your settings just the same whether VV or VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread