Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Interesting. They fit a tiny little nautilus style coil cartridge inside a pod shaped device. It’s a potentially AIO quality vape in a pod format with functional draw activation. Too bad they didn’t do a mouthpiece you could hold with your teeth. No handed vaping is the primary advantage of a vacuum switch over a button. Maybe the device is too heavy in the first place though.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I don't understand why they used coils with wicking holes halfway up the tank. I would think at half fill you would need to start tipping the mod to maintain juice flow. Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks odd that way. I like that UWell gave it both mouth and button firing. At least with having a button you can turn the mod off and on.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't understand why they used coils with wicking holes halfway up the tank. I would think at half fill you would need to start tipping the mod to maintain juice flow. Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks odd that way. I like that UWell gave it both mouth and button firing. At least with having a button you can turn the mod off and on.
Saw that too. My guess is that tiny nautilus style coil is about as small as they could make one and they needed the metal at the bottom just to hold the thing together. Coulda just sunk the coil deeper into the plastic base, but perhaps they ran out of room or into a heat problem. The last few millimeters of pod space is basically useless though. Unless the coil cartridge holes touch the bottom of the tank it can’t be vaped dry... unless the the thing is so small and the pod case is so close to the hole that simple capillary action would pull the juice up the side between the coil and the case and juice the hole anyway? Maybe vape the thing dry while paying close attention to what the juice is doing.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Saw that too. My guess is that tiny nautilus style coil is about as small as they could make one and they needed the metal at the bottom just to hold the thing together. Coulda just sunk the coil deeper into the plastic base, but perhaps they ran out of room or into a heat problem. The last few millimeters of pod space is basically useless though. Unless the coil cartridge holes touch the bottom of the tank it can’t be vaped dry... unless the the thing is so small and the pod case is so close to the hole that simple capillary action would pull the juice up the side between the coil and the case and juice the hole anyway? Maybe vape the thing dry while paying close attention to what the juice is doing.

I think your guess is right, and maybe for many that hold the mod out like a smoke when they vape it won't really matter. I tend to hold it down at an angle so not ideal. Lol... even with pod systems that have wicks at the bottom, like the Smok Novo I occasionally burn a pod just from not being able to see the juice level and not paying attention. Might not be a problem though, we'll find out soon enough I guess.

Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think your guess is right, and maybe for many that hold the mod out like a smoke when they vape it won't really matter. I tend to hold it down at an angle so not ideal. Lol... even with pod systems that have wicks at the bottom, like the Smok Novo I occasionally burn a pod just from not being able to see the juice level and not paying attention. Might not be a problem though, we'll find out soon enough I guess.
My temptation would be to take a step drill and carefully bore a hole through the aluminum case right where the coil would show through but not wide enough to run into any problems. Make it easier to see. I like tools though.

Reactions: Jazzman

Vapeianic

Feb 12, 2019
Looks good so far, only downside seems for me the build quality - it has a unfinished look to it. Also someone mentioned in the comments:
'I think the coil wicking holes are too far up in the tank. The pod would need to be near half full to saturate the cotton if you don't constantly tip the mod to get the juice there once you get much under half full.'

I just ordered an Akso pod system, which will be arriving until tuesday. The caps look really good quality so far and Hcigar released an Akso OS with refillable pods a week ago. Only complain would be 1.4ml.
So I am thinking of buying those caps for the Akso or the Caliburn, but I don't want to end up with too many different devices.. (I also own a BO). Can someone compare the Akso to this device, yet?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Looks good so far, only downside seems for me the build quality - it has a unfinished look to it. Also someone mentioned in the comments:
'I think the coil wicking holes are too far up in the tank. The pod would need to be near half full to saturate the cotton if you don't constantly tip the mod to get the juice there once you get much under half full.'

I just ordered an Akso pod system, which will be arriving until tuesday. The caps look really good quality so far and Hcigar released an Akso OS with refillable pods a week ago. Only complain would be 1.4ml.
So I am thinking of buying those caps for the Akso or the Caliburn, but I don't want to end up with too many different devices.. (I also own a BO). Can someone compare the Akso to this device, yet?
Well it is preproduction. Roughness is to be expected. Also it’s still possible that the tank is emptiable due to possible capillary action between the outer wall of the coil and the inner wall of the tank. They need to be super close together without touching though. Something that may or may not be effective or even true. Testing would be required.

Asko coil looks interesting. Might even be rewickable if the vapor chamber could be gotten open. Vapor chamber looks a bit tight and made of plastic though. Hopefully the thing won’t melt. Gasified plastics are generally really bad.

Last edited:

Vapeianic

Feb 12, 2019
Well it is preproduction. Roughness is to be expected. Also it’s still possible that the tank is emptiable due to possible capillary action between the outer wall of the coil and the inner wall of the tank. They need to be super close together without touching though. Something that may or may not be effective or even true. Testing would be required.

Asko coil looks interesting. Might even be rewickable if the vapor chamber could be gotten open. Vapor chamber looks a bit tight and made of plastic though. Hopefully the thing won’t melt. Gasified plastics are generally really bad.

That might be the case, but as a customer I don't want that roughness. But no reviewer says a word about this or the thing with the tank and some people have seen the thing with the tank and mentioned it, but no reviewer answers. I feel like the company send out quite some review-units tbh..
The pods of the original akso are ceramic, but the new refillable ones seems to have nichrome wires.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That might be the case, but as a customer I don't want that roughness. But no reviewer says a word about this or the thing with the tank and some people have seen the thing with the tank and mentioned it, but no reviewer answers. I feel like the company send out quite some review-units tbh..
The pods of the original akso are ceramic, but the new refillable ones seems to have nichrome wires.
The companies are all in China and are sometimes difficult to so much as contact. I tried to repair my vapecige VTX200 squonk of a broken screen and managed to lose my button set. Their website links only back to itself and their Facebook page links only back to their website. I got my sister who does Facebook to send them a note, but so far nothing. I’m probably going to have to carve my own to get the damn thing working. I reviewed the device as being marginally better than its competitor too. That advantage is now gone. If you can’t get parts a thing is near useless.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

Good luck with the Akso. It's my favorite pod so far, except for one thing- you can't get pre-filled replacement pods, and the refillables are very difficult to find. Their Ice Mint is fantastic, and although I usually don't like juice very sweet, the nutty tobacco is pretty great too. But the pod is just sitting there, because it's just too hard to find pods. Let us know if you find a good supplier. I've pinged HCigar thru their website a couple of times to help me find them, but no responses.

Vapeianic

Feb 12, 2019
Good luck with the Akso. It's my favorite pod so far, except for one thing- you can't get pre-filled replacement pods, and the refillables are very difficult to find. Their Ice Mint is fantastic, and although I usually don't like juice very sweet, the nutty tobacco is pretty great too. But the pod is just sitting there, because it's just too hard to find pods. Let us know if you find a good supplier. I've pinged HCigar thru their website a couple of times to help me find them, but no responses.
Just bought the Akso OS with 4 more fillable pods. Prefilled would be nice, but as you said, you can't get them anywhere. But empty ones are easy to find on aliexpress (here) for 11€ at the moment, if you only buy with coupons, you can get them for around 7€ usually :)
I skip the Caliburn for the time being, because of the tank problem and of the not so nicely build. Furthermore I think many reviews are bought.. just my opinion :)

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I just got this today, so have to bump the thread. It was $25 at Vapewild so I figured why not. This thing is kinda nice. It's a that good balance of size and good vape with a solid battery. But the airflow is too wide for my taste. I knew that goin in, but I was just curious. But just an fyi that I don't think this would be ideal for someone quitting smoking. It seems made for an existing vapor, wanting something small as a backup.

But the thing I find hilarious is the hype about the flavor. All the reviews online go something like this: "it's amazing flavor....almost like I can taste the juice, but it's not spitting or anything." Bro...you're totally getting bits of juice in your mouth, and it's totally spitting, which is why the flavor is so good hah! It's not major, but it's clear cut, at least for me.

I'll never understand why people can't tell when they're drinking ejuice, especially high ML. My lips are tingling and numb in parts as I vape this. I mean, don't get me wrong, it is good flavor, but these 2 factors are intertwined and it's a trade off. Also, 50/50 juice does it a lot more, so I had to switch to 70vg, but it does it a bit too.

With that said, I would recommend this if you don't mind some spitting. Seems solid otherwise.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
I just got this today, so have to bump the thread. It was $25 at Vapewild so I figured why not. This thing is kinda nice. It's a that good balance of size and good vape with a solid battery. But the airflow is too wide for my taste. I knew that goin in, but I was just curious. But just an fyi that I don't think this would be ideal for someone quitting smoking. It seems made for an existing vapor, wanting something small as a backup.

But the thing I find hilarious is the hype about the flavor. All the reviews online go something like this: "it's amazing flavor....almost like I can taste the juice, but it's not spitting or anything." Bro...you're totally getting bits of juice in your mouth, and it's totally spitting, which is why the flavor is so good hah! It's not major, but it's clear cut, at least for me.

I'll never understand why people can't tell when they're drinking ejuice, especially high ML. My lips are tingling and numb in parts as I vape this. I mean, don't get me wrong, it is good flavor, but these 2 factors are intertwined and it's a trade off. Also, 50/50 juice does it a lot more, so I had to switch to 70vg, but it does it a bit too.

With that said, I would recommend this if you don't mind some spitting. Seems solid otherwise.
those is PAID review, honestly i trust none of them, mostly i check their review for function, size n HOW to, for flavor, performance i go to forum and read ...
Those youtube reviewer basically like Politician, they can twist, turn, ignore and eat their own word in split of second ...

taraobil

Jul 4, 2014
Malaysia
I bought the Uwell Caliburn this Monday and so far I am quite happy with it.
  • Battery life: Good for a pod. Vaping for 5/10 minutes every hour or so gives me a full working day battery.
  • Power: When fully charged is good, then it decreases as the battery drains since it's not regulated.
  • Leaking: Not even once on the 2 pods I tested.
  • Flavour: Is quite good on the 2 liquids I have tested.
  • Filling it: Really easy top fill. Remove the cap and fill. Doesn't leak either.
  • MTL: Good.
  • DTL: A bit restrictive but doable.
  • Dry hits: Not even once on the 2 pods I tried.
  • Liquid consumption: Quite good too, the 2 ML considering the feed holes are quite high lasts a working day (8 hours vaping on breaks).

• Informative
Reactions: Katdarling

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
And just to update from my earlier rant, I think the 50/50 juice was the problem. Now that I'm a few more refills in, the initial 50/50 is effective gone, and the 70VG doesn't seem to be giving any spitting.

So in short, this thing is made for 70VG in my view. I just wish they would have stated that. Working well with it though, and no real complaints.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
So, we ordered some on 8-Mar, and 21 days later they're still waiting to ship. The price was right, and I guess that's the rub. ;)

By the time @Katdarling and I get them, they'll be SO "yesterday". But, that's actually kind of in keeping with our pace (with vapegear), so maybe it's all as it should be. :cool:

Vaporl.PNG

"You want 'em fast, or you want 'em cheap?"

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
I have one of these and love it. So far I've had the breeze, sourin drop, Innokin EQs, and this Caliburn. I think I enjoy the Caliburn the most as the flavor is quite a bit better than the EQs imo. Also, for those who have one and think the airflow is a tad loose you can do what I did and throw a tiny piece of tape over one of the airholes. Made it perfect for me although I was more than fine with it stock. Any questions feel free to hit me up. Cheers.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA

I had the same issue with 50/50 juice through half of a pod and then it quit. Even when I topped off the pod I didn't have it happen again. Kind of strange but I have 2 different pods with 2 different liquids, both 50/50 and only the one did it for half a pod and then stopped. The other pod hasn't had that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread