Valley View Vapes Polypro Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksamim

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Athens, GA, US
Hey all! I am a huge fan of the thumbscrew type tanks and a good deal, so when a new vendor popped up selling super cheap tanks, I jumped on purchasing a few. Here is my review.

Valley View Vapes
POLYPROPYLENE tanks

First, some background. Valley View Vapes is a brand new vendor. Ray is the proprietor, a very, very nice guy (as is the case with many, many vendors on ECF). His goal is to provide hardware (my favorite purchases) near cost. The prices for these tanks are noticeably lower than the competition (it appears that the Mom and Pop Vapor Shop sub tank is the main inspiration for his tanks). As the inspiration for this review, I wanted to see whether the lower cost caused a parallel drop in quality.

ValleyVapes_Tanks.jpg

Out of the box, these tanks look absolutely fantastic. I have two opinions on the build quality already apparent from the picture above concerning the thumbscrews and the tank sleeve itself. Let's begin with the tank sleeve.

1. [*=left]Tank Sleeve

The tank sleeve feels very firm and strong. Quick flicks to the casing (as well as strong pressure) reveals little bend or give. In terms of performance under use, I will get to that in a Use Trial below. I do have one complaint, however. If you look closely at the tank rims above, you will notice that the edging could use some work. The cut is near straight, but not perfectly so. If I recall correctly, Ray is cutting the tubing himself as he waits to find a reliable vendor for his polypropylene tubing. It is not a huge issue for me, but may become so when attempting to refit the o-rings when it comes time to replace the carto.

[*=left]Thumbscrews

Of this category, I have no complaints. The thumbscrews are beautiful, shiny, and are butter-smooth in use. This may be largely a product of the material itself, but in comparison to the sub tank, these thumbscrews are an absolute joy to turn. In the tanks I received (which were purchased, not given - Ray is unaware that I intended to review them prior to purchase), the screws fit perfectly (perpendicular to tank, they do not screw in sideways) and they are positioned perfectly. They are high on the tank, which dramatically improved the ease of fill over my sub tank. Let me illustrate what I mean in the next section.

It is worth noting that the thumbscrews come in three colors at the moment: red, blue, and black. I love to accessorize, so it's a plus for me, but it may not affect your purchase. Ray notes in his ECF thread that there may be more colors in the future. Keeping my fingers crossed for purple.

Product Comparison

Let's begin with a pretty, pretty picture.

ValleyVapes_Comparison.jpg

On the left, you will see the Mom and Pop Vapor Shop mini sub tank filled with my beloved Gorilla Juice. On the right, the Valley View Vapes Polypro tank, with my even more beloved (but known tank murderer) Kickin' Peppermint (a cinnamon peppermint concoction from Ms. T's Bakery). I will quickly itemize the comparative pros and cons of these systems.

1. [*=left]Thumbscrew: I massively prefer the location of the VVV thumbscrew. With the sub tank, I have to unscrew it and lay my unit flat to refill. As I've done a few times now with the VVV tank, I can palm and tilt it while still attached to the unit for easy filling. Additionally (though this is definitely a product of the material), it is much more buttery smooth to screw in the VVV tank's thumbscrew.

[*=left]Finish: The sub tank takes this one, though it had similar hiccups when MPVS was a new vendor. The cut is uniform, well-polished, and rounded for my finger's protection during carto swaps. I have yet to actually swap a carto in the VVV tank, but I can imagine it will not be as painless as the sub tank. Additionally, because of the slight slant on the cut, the tank sits a tiny bit crooked on my PV. I can't really notice it unless I lay the unit flat, but it is definitely there.

[*=left]Price: VVV has the upper hand here. At $7.99 for a polypro tank (Note: they sell a polycarb tank at the same price) including a carto, it beats the hell out of $12.99 for a polycarb tank, and the material swap is worthwhile, as we'll see in the Use Test. In fact, VVV sells a glass sleeve at the price of MPVS. No contest. It is of note that, in order to get the 6ml version at VVV, you have to pay an extra dollar. But it is still much cheaper than MPVS.

[*=left]Materials: I am absolutely stunned at the difference polypro makes, and VVV has the ticket here as well because of it. We'll get into the nitty gritty now.

Use Test

I've spent the entire day putting this tank (or the one with the red thumbscrew) through its paces. I pulled no punches, using my most brutal juice (Kickin' Peppermint with an extra shot of Super Concentrated Red Hot Cinnamon Candy from Ms. T's Bakery).

ValleyVapes_Cinn.jpg

Leaking

During the first writeup of this review, I left the unit standing horizontally to test the leaking of the thumb screw, ala Phil Busardo in his Sub Tank review.

ValleyVapes_UseTest.jpg

After many hours, I didn't notice any moisture around the thumbscrew head, let alone on the desk. The fit is tight, but does not make the screw difficult to remove.

Material

This is where I am shocked, being used to the cracking of polycarb tanks. Lesser juices have ruined my previous tanks. I felt it might have been unfair to start off with such a violent juice, but it's all sparkles in the end. There is no cracking, spiderwebbing, or clouding going on in this tank, but we will see how it looks in a couple of days. As of now, it has outlasted any polycarb tank I've used.

Vape Quality

The most important characteristic for many people, besides cracking. I have noticed no flavor loss, but that is a characteristic of the carto far more than it is of the tank. VVV uses Boge 3ohm cartos in their units, punched twice. Flavor is just as rich as when on a carto without a tank.

TL;DR (The Summary)

ProsCons

1. Strong material, no cracking or bending
  2. Low price
  3. Well-fit and well-placed thumbscrew, no leaking and easy to fill
  4. Colored thumbscrews (neat!)
  5. Variety of materials to choose from: polycarb, polypro, and glass

1. Unsanded edges, could make carto swapping difficult
  2. Not a perfectly straight cut, tank may come slightly tilted

Verdict

All in all, this is the best purchase I have made for a tank in terms of quality and price. I would like to see future iterations of the tank have more finish, but, as it stands, you absolutely cannot go wrong. I suggest this tank to anyone who is entering the tank modification spectrum of vaping, or those who would like to collect and accessorize many tanks for different juices.​

Last edited:

YoureFired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
The Berserkshires, MA
Excellent review, Ksamim. So far I have three of the "Triple V" Tanks, one of each material. I find them pretty well designed and crafted. The pyrex is definitely my fave and I can hardly wait 'til the frosted pyrex tank comes out in a couple of weeks or so.

And let's not forget the great customer service that Ray backs up his product with.

ksamim

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Athens, GA, US
Just a quick update on this review:

The tanks are holding up without a single blemish, even my dedicated cinnamon tank. After a few swaps, the grommets have become a little bit easier to put in and take out (very likely my experience with it, not the grommets changing shape). They are acquiring the smell of the juices I most frequently use (cinnamon and Gorilla Juice), which may indicate some flavor creep might be going on somewhere down the line, but I have extensively tested solo carto vs carto tank with the same juices (fresh juice in the solo carto) and I am getting exactly the same flavor. Obviously, the flavor deteriorates a bit quicker with the solo carto without a constant supply of juice, hence the invention of the carto tank.

I did notice one thing, and it is a very important trick for people using any type of tank. Unscrewing the thumbscrew slightly periodically during use is an absolute must, as it prevents a vacuum from forming (or resulting) and preventing strong flow of the juice to the base of the carto. If you are not using a thumbscrew tank, you'll have to ease the carto out slightly. Just another massive benefit of having a hole in the side of the tank.

As a side note, the screws are still going in buttery smooth with no leaks.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just ordered 2 of the 7 ml clear pyrex tanks. At $12 each sale price I figured I won't be out too much if they are a bust; if they work out great then I got a fantastic deal.

I also feel a need to support innovating manufacturers of polypropylene and pyrex tanks. I have not had much luck with the polycarbonate tanks in the past, and have been anxious to find affordable and dependable alternatives. I have several of the newer polypropylene DCT tanks, which have certainly been servicable, but I really want glass.

Got-Ta-Go

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
OTP Atlanta, Georgia
I got 2 of the polypro and 1 of the Pyrex in today. Really liking them so far.

I too had "challenges" with getting the ends in place after taking everything apart to wash them. Tip I learned by accident which really helped, put a couple of drops of juice all over the rubber ends; this really helped to slide them into the tank properly and also to insert the cardo in without moving the rubber ends too much.

I just got my pyrex and polypro in and am loving them both, I am on my 2nd tank using the 3ml Pyrex and it tastes great without a single leak.
My only complaint on the pyrex is how to replace the cartomizer it took me quite a while to get the ends in place evenly.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just did a review of the Triple V pyrex tanks here. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-tanks-7ml-pyrex-tank-review.html#post6607722

Very happy with my two 7ml clear pyrex tanks. Appear to be solidly designed and constructed, finish quality is actually better than I would have expected for the price. Filling with a blunt needle between the carto and grommet is kind of a pain; I can see eventual inevitable wear and tear damage after multiple fillings (these are soft silicone). Replacement grommet/O rings and a dental tool to adjust the grommets after filling are definitely a good idea.

View attachment 115486 View attachment 115487 View attachment 115488 View attachment 115496

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Glad to hear all this praise for the triple v. I just got in 3 of the pyrex, filled them up and they are wonderful. I was glad to hear the comment about the vacuum created in glass tanks. I had a heck of a time with my first one, a phiniac. But since adding a third hole near top, it helped avoid that. I love these valley vape tanks and will get a couple more. How do you suggest topping off the tank when juice gets low? I have a syringe ready for that and I would love some suggestions, so I can avoid spilling juice. Thank you all and most of all thank you Ray at valley vapes for offering such great products at such great prices. By the way those pvs above are great looking set ups, are they the BOLT?

ruuku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2009
Honolulu, Hawaii
Wow, its been awhile since I last posted here.. Was looking at getting a tank for the longest time, but some of the prices were a real turnoff. When I found not one but two very positive for the VVV tanks, So i decided it was finally time, and man am I happy.

Ordered 1 poly and 1 pyrex, so far just filled the polypro. Even for a tank novice it was super easy. I'll have to get used to refitting the grommets, but I figure that will come with time. Ray has excellent customer service. I had made a mistake on my order and it was corrected in a matter of minutes. Shipping was lightning quick...even to Hawaii. Ordered it on Tues, and it was in my mailbox today (Thursday). The packaging was done so well and with such care that the postal worker could have literally gone postal on the box and everything inside would have been just fine. Overall a very positive experience with both the product and vendor.

Oh and anavidfan- Baditudes mods are in his sig (BB/White Silver Bullet).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread