Status
Not open for further replies.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I've had mine for several months and it didn't originally auto-power down. Even now, there doesn't appear to be any rhyme nor reason as to when it does so. But, sometimes after a period of non-use, it will shut down. This is with well charged 18650 installed. So, it doesn't appear to be a low-voltage matter. Any thoughts?

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I'd make sure the center contact in the battery compartment is clean (pencil eraser and canned air) and that the bottom spring has some tension and is clean as well.
This may be the answer. I'm a dripper and am guilty of sometimes not keeping the contacts liquid free. I have to be more diligent in that area. Doing that, and only time will tell if that is, in fact, the cause. Thanks.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Hope it works for you. It does sound like either a "loss of power" issue or something wrong with the controller itself. Easiest to fix is the contact issues to make sure that power never drops. I've been using two Vamos for almost eight months and, knock on wood, haven't had any problems at all.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Sorry to hear you're having, apparently, the same problem. I don't think I mentioned that mine is a V3.0, and don't know if that's relevant information. Since I first posted I've been diligently keeping the contacts clear of liquid, and I've stretched the spring a little ... as suggested by several folks in this thread. But, it still turns off sometimes. It's possible they're just defective units and we can either live with it, or replace them.
My V2 has started this annoying issue. At first, I thought it was a contact issue with the button, but no, it really does turn itself off at times. Annoying, to say the least. Will be taking things apart to see if I can figure out what the cause is.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Mine was really giving me fits this morning shortly before I changed the battery out. Going to keep an eye on it as the voltage drops on this battery to see if it does the same thing. Might be a power issue where it's not reading something correctly as the voltage drops down to around 3.3 - 3.2 volts remaining on the battery.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Think I may have stumbled onto a clue. Battery is down to 3.3v and the Vamo is acting up again. Wasn't acting up with a freshly charged battery. Seems to happen when the battery gets down to around 3.4v.

Edit -- Just hit it again and got a "Lo" display at 3.3v. Slapped a charged battery into the device and all is good again. I suspect that some of these units are getting very touchy when the battery voltage gets to around 3.4-3.3v.

Last edited:

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Think I may have stumbled onto a clue. Battery is down to 3.3v and the Vamo is acting up again. Wasn't acting up with a freshly charged battery. Seems to happen when the battery gets down to around 3.4v.

Edit -- Just hit it again and got a "Lo" display at 3.3v. Slapped a charged battery into the device and all is good again. I suspect that some of these units are getting very touchy when the battery voltage gets to around 3.4-3.3v.

I could be wrong but I thought that they were supposed to shut down at around 3.3/3.2 to prevent the battery over-discharging?

ratchet62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2013
USA
I could be wrong but I thought that they were supposed to shut down at around 3.3/3.2 to prevent the battery over-discharging?

They are and do shutdown at about 3.2 V. What happens when the battery gets to about 3.4 is the voltage may dip to 3.2, prompting a shutdown. You turn it back on, do a voltage check, and it looks good again at 3.5. Fire it, voltage dip, shutdown.

Rinse and repeat.

Sent from somewhere on planet Earth.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

Generally, that's true. Up until recently, mine wouldn't fire at 3.2v but it didn't shut itself off either. Now it's getting touchy when the battery gets down to around 3.4v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread