Vanilla Chai Tea Extract

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
I've seen people extract coffee into pg using the microwave in short bursts, but has anyone tried this with vanilla Chai tea? I'm very interested in trying this and any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

I believe you're going to have problems with Plant Matter.

Melee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2010
Alabama, US
www.facebook.com
Chico - Thanks for your experience! Very helpful. I'm going to give it a go. Did you perform the extraction in pg and strain like the coffee method?

Michael- you strain all plant matter with a coffee filter.

Clark- they sell flavorings with Caffeine for energy vape. But many people have done coffee extraction with no ill results thus far. Most people say they don't notice the caffeine in the coffee extract.

Thank you all for your input. I'll advise how it went after I give it a try. :)

RudeBoy007

Jun 6, 2013
Irvine, CA, USA
I had this EXACT idea, with chai tea, specifically, as well. About two months ago, I harvested some lavender to try out with making into flavoring first, because the lavender was free (grows outside) and the recipe that I found online said that you can use herbs, plants (I love my rose flavor that I bought at an Indian grocery store, their flavors have worked for me with Vape juice), so I only have to pay for the PG/VG that I need to soak it in before I condense it in the oven on low heat for a few hours, then in a double boiler on the stove on low heat for another few hours. My mom's oven broke two months ago, and she only just ordered a new one that will take at least another two weeks to arrive, so I can't complete my experiment. As soon as I have access to a working oven/stove, I plan to condense my lavender. If the lavender turns out strong (I'm afraid that the process will make the flavoring too weak), then the next move will be to do it again with the Chai Tea. I love your idea, Chai Tea sounds like a winner in the flavor department. I wasted some cash on trying flavoring that I found at an expensive grocery store in my juices, the presence of 'sunflower seed oil' is something to avoid in flavors that you intend to vape on, because the sunflower seed oil's flavor will overpower the taste you want. I'll re-post about the lavender as long as this thread isn't closed by the time I finally try this experiment out. I'm sure my lavender will work because I am using 100% VG to extract it, and will filter out the plant matter, it's just a question of HOW STRONG the lavender flavor will be. The same could be done with the Chai tea, you just need to filter it out before you add it to your juice.

chicoj

Jul 8, 2013
Canada
Chico - Thanks for your experience! Very helpful. I'm going to give it a go. Did you perform the extraction in pg and strain like the coffee method?

Michael- you strain all plant matter with a coffee filter.

Clark- they sell flavorings with Caffeine for energy vape. But many people have done coffee extraction with no ill results thus far. Most people say they don't notice the caffeine in the coffee extract.

Thank you all for your input. I'll advise how it went after I give it a try. :)
yes the same way you do with coffee

Melee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2010
Alabama, US
www.facebook.com
I had this EXACT idea, with chai tea, specifically, as well. About two months ago, I harvested some lavender to try out with making into flavoring first, because the lavender was free (grows outside) and the recipe that I found online said that you can use herbs, plants (I love my rose flavor that I bought at an Indian grocery store, their flavors have worked for me with Vape juice), so I only have to pay for the PG/VG that I need to soak it in before I condense it in the oven on low heat for a few hours, then in a double boiler on the stove on low heat for another few hours. My mom's oven broke two months ago, and she only just ordered a new one that will take at least another two weeks to arrive, so I can't complete my experiment. As soon as I have access to a working oven/stove, I plan to condense my lavender. If the lavender turns out strong (I'm afraid that the process will make the flavoring too weak), then the next move will be to do it again with the Chai Tea. I love your idea, Chai Tea sounds like a winner in the flavor department. I wasted some cash on trying flavoring that I found at an expensive grocery store in my juices, the presence of 'sunflower seed oil' is something to avoid in flavors that you intend to vape on, because the sunflower seed oil's flavor will overpower the taste you want. I'll re-post about the lavender as long as this thread isn't closed by the time I finally try this experiment out. I'm sure my lavender will work because I am using 100% VG to extract it, and will filter out the plant matter, it's just a question of HOW STRONG the lavender flavor will be. The same could be done with the Chai tea, you just need to filter it out before you add it to your juice.

Ohhh lavender! That sounds fantastic! So the reason you are doing the reduction is to get an extract before you make your extract? haha! I get it totally. I would hate to go through the trouble of making the flavoring for it to be too weak. Have you tried to do it in the microwave to see if it is to your liking first? Jimi D. describes it here, seems pretty easy. I'll definitely leave the thread open as long as it doesn't get closed by a mod so you can report back. I will too!;)

The coffee flavor that I tried (don't know from where, I threw away the empty bottle) was kona coffee, and it did have the coffee taste, but was obviously an artificial flavor, because the juice was clear. Coffee extracts seem likely to me to be dark and would gunk up an atomizer/carto a bit more because it has little grains that can't be filtered out, hence the dark appearance. I tried to use some coffee extract in a juice that turned out as dark as coffee. It has worked okay, but I think the atomizer will build up the gunk much quicker than an artificial flavor. I think the less ground-up the tea or herb you are working with, the easier it will be in the end to filter out. If it's pulverized into dust, the dust will pass through your filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread