The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vanilla essence - can't resist cold?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Winblows, May 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Winblows

Winblows Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2017
    Copenhagen (UTC+1)
    I have this vanilla essence and wonder what has happened to it.
    I keep my essences in a box in the fridge. This one I have used for a small sample for approx. 1 year ago and I remember, that the essens was all clear.
    When I took it out a few days ago, it was approx. 1/3 of the bottle filled with crystallized substance.
    I shook the bottle very carefully, but the crystal mass was not dissolved.

On the picture below, the bottle can be seen after a few days in the room temperature.
    To the left is what it looked like when I took it out of the cabinet, to the right the bottle has been thoroughly shaken.

[​IMG]
    What's wrong with this vanilla essence?

2. smacuser

smacuser Vapid Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    When you say "essence", do you mean ejuice? I'd be interested in looking at the labels.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stratus.vaping

stratus.vaping Super Member ECF Veteran

salts of some kind and/or sugar. You never "grew" crystals as a kid?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 28, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    My question as well.

Looking up vanilla extract/flavorings storage says to not store in the refrigerator. IDK :confused:

I keep all my flavors and ejuice in a cool dark dry place. The dungeon. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Winblows

Feb 10, 2017
    Copenhagen (UTC+1)
    With the essence, I mean a flavour, concentrate, aroma. I put 5% of it in my eJuice base.
    Label? It's my dealers own, but inside the bottle is Inawera Shisha Vanilla :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. smacuser

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Okay, because they look like juice bottles. Then again, I've yet to buy 30 ml of vendor labeled flavoring. I'm going with the sugar theory. Maybe nab one out and see if it tastes like sugar.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Winblows

Feb 10, 2017
    Copenhagen (UTC+1)
    I have 15+ of these 30ml bottles with Inawera flavors (all stored in the fridge), but only this vanilla behave like this ... does it mean, that the vanilla is the only one (in my collection) that contains sugar ?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. smacuser

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Unless someone posts here who knows for sure, I'd say contact the vendor. That way we can all find out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Winblows

Feb 10, 2017
    Copenhagen (UTC+1)
    Right!

• Like Like x 2
  10. ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 28, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    @Winblows - I was just looking up vanilla -- there are over 250 compounds in vanilla. Maybe one or more causes the crystallization when refrigerated.

Here: Vanilla FAQs | Everything about vanilla from the VANILLA QUEEN
    They say do not refrigerate, scroll down to "What's the best way to store...", see the last sentence.
    "Do not refrigerate or freeze extracts or beans as this can damage the extract and cause the beans to crystallize or dry."

I know the Shisha Vanilla is not extract as in baking extract but maybe there is a compound in it that causes this when refrigerated.

If it's only your base and the Shisha Vanilla, and none of your others crystallize, I would think it's the Shisha Vanilla. IDK

Maybe ask Inawera directly through their web site. Maybe they would be able to help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Vanilla extract doesn't fade, but most flavorings are not extracts but infusions. Better keep your flavorings at room temp. We keep eliquid to avoid the fading of nicotine, but except for oxidation, nicotine base can be kept at room temp, important is that the place is dark.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    W,
    Very strange.... Do you have any other "shisha XXX" flavours or is the Shisha Vanilla the only one?
    Are those from Save Vape?

Cheers
    I

• Like Like x 2
  13. Winblows

Feb 10, 2017
    Copenhagen (UTC+1)
    My other Shisha's are:
    Apple, Lemon, Lime, Fresh Mint, Brandy Cocoa, Coconut
    None of them behaves like this Vanilla.

My vendor get the flavours directly from the manufacturer (Poland) and re- wraps them to small bottles.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ceeceeisme

ceeceeisme Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Storing food grade flavoring in the fridge is not generally recommended but I know a lot of people do it. Some of the constituents of the flavoring have solidified so you will need to gently heat this until they liquefy again. Use a glass of warm (not hot) water and suspend the bottle in it until you see some melting. Shake vigorously until it is remixed or submerse again until you can fully remix the suspension.

I would not recommend putting it back in the fridge. Keep your flavoring in a cool dark location to achieve maximum life. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. smacuser

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Maybe an ultrasonic cleaner is in order?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  17. ceeceeisme

ceeceeisme Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Probably not necessary. Warming it in the hands with some vigorous shaking could possibly provide enough heat to allow the suspension to reliquefy.

• Like Like x 2
  18. smacuser

Supporting member
    Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Augustine, FL
    Say no more ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. rosesense

rosesense ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2010
    South GA
    I have seen menthol juice do this even without the fridge due to cold weather in transit. It is the cold that does it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Ceeceeisme's post hit it on the head. The following is an excerpt from a different manufacturer (TFA), but I imagine it is likely universal, to all of the concentrate brands we use as DIYers:

upload_2019-5-13_23-50-44.png
    (full document)

A chemical compound's solubility can be affected by the ambient temperature of the liquid. While it may remain in solution at room temperatures, at lower temperatures it falls out of suspension and forms crystals (or sometimes more of a goo), and settles to the bottom.

Gently warming the bottle, like Ceecee suggested, can often reverse the effect (this may take several days). If not, throw it out, and get a replacement... and don't put that one in the fridge. :D

If you are confident the bottle cap has a tight seal; I would fill a thermos with hot tap water (only as hot as the tap can produce; do not heat it further), add the tightly sealed concentrate bottle, and close up the thermos. Depending on how long the thermos can retain heat, I would check it 4-8 hours; and shake the concentrate thoroughly, as well as replace the water with fresh hot water. Repeat as needed.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.