• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
This is the communications to Vapables that was received and what has forced the decision:

* I have Rob's permission to post this *

"Health Products and Food Inspectorate
2301 Midland Ave.
Toronto ON M1P 4R7

March 25, 2011 Ref: C10176

vapables[DOT]com

To whom it may concern:

RE: Importation and Sale of Electronic Smoking Products

This letter is in follow-up to the notice issued by Health Canada regarding the sale of electronic smoking products. A copy of this notice can be found at the following Health Canada Website:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodp..._e-cig-eng.php
Health Canada has grounds to believe that vapables[DOT]com may be selling nicotine-containing electronic smoking products in Canada, without market authorization and without an establishment license.

If you have distributed or sold an electronic smoking product, Health Canada is advising that you immediately stop sale of these products .

At this time, the Health Products and Food Inspectorate (Inspectorate) is requesting writtenconfirmation that your establishment has ceased importing, distributing and selling electronic smoking products. The Inspectorate is also requesting the identity of your current supplier(s) for any nicotine-containing electronic smoking products.

Your written response is requested by March 31, 2011. Your response must be submitted to the Health Products and Food Inspectorate Operational Centre in your region.

Failure to cooperate with these requests will result in more stringent enforcement measures, such as seizures, in accordance with POL-0001: Compliance and Enforcement Policy. The Compliance and Enforcement Policy can be found at the following Health Canada Website:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/compl..._tc-tm-eng.php

Further information on the requirements of the Food and Drugs Act and its associated Regulations as they pertain to this situation can be found in Appendix and on the Health Canada Website. A public advisory document on electronic smoking products can also be found on this site:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media...009_53-eng.php

We look forward to your prompt attention to this matter. Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the undersigned.

Sincerely,

Name Removed
Senior Compliance Officer
Ontario Operational Centre
Health Products and Food Inspectorate
Tel: 416-952-2197
Fax: 416-954-4583

encl: Appendix

Appendix

Federal legislation pertaining to the importation, manufacture and distribution of drug products, including electronic smoking products, in Canada is established under the Food and Drugs Act and its associated Regulations. These requirements include market authorization and licensing.

Market Authorization - DIN
Per Section C.01.014.(1) of the Food and Drug Regulations (the Regulations), a Drug Identification Number (DIN) must be assigned to a drug product before it can be offered for sale:

No manufacturer shall sell a drug in dosage form unless a drug identification number has been assigned for that drug and the assignment of the number has not been cancelled pursuant to section C.01.014.6.

Market Authorization - Device Licence
As per section 26 of the Medical Devices Regulations, a class II, III or IV device licence must be issued to a medical device before it can be imported or sold.

Subject to section 37, no person shall import or sell a Class II, III or IV medical device unless the manufacturer of the device holds a licence in respect of that device or, if the medical device has been subjected to a change described in section 34, an amended medical device licence.

No person shall import or sell a medical device unless the person holds an establishment licence.

Establishment Licence Requirement
Per C.01A.004.(1) of the Regulations, an establishment licence (EL) is required to fabricate, distribute, import, package/label, wholesale, or test drug products:

Subject to subsection (2), no person shall, except in accordance with an establishment licence,
(a) fabricate, package/label, distribute as set out in section C.01A.003, import or wholesale a drug; or
(b) perform the tests, including examinations, required under Division 2.

Pursuant to section 44 of the Medical Devices Regulations, importers and distributors of medical devices must hold a medical device establishment licence.

No person shall import or sell a medical device unless the person holds an establishment licence.

I'm getting this sick feeling in my stomach !! And frankly, I'm afraid that if this becomes viral that the next top topics being talked about will be of those who have met their demise by recklessly attempting to "extract" themselves to avoid returning to cigarettes but not knowing the levels that they could possibly be dealing with when creating a concentrate.

VapeOn (SAFELY),
Greg

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
"If you have distributed or sold an electronic smoking product, Health Canada is advising that you immediately stop sale of these products .

At this time, the Health Products and Food Inspectorate (Inspectorate) is requesting writtenconfirmation that your establishment has ceased importing, distributing and selling electronic smoking products."

These two lines worry me as it refers to electronic smoking products, not just nicotine. They can't go after PV's can they!?

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
From HC's description and their chosen wording it "appears" to include everything:

"If you have distributed or sold an electronic smoking product, Health Canada is advising that you immediately stop sale of these products ."

And I imagine that it would take the supreme court to force an explained definition of its inclusions or exclusions, because I surely don't see HC being forthcoming in stepping forward to make regulatory "business" decisions understandable to the common man/woman.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
The flaw here is in Health Canada's misclassification. Electronic cigarettes and/or e-juice with nicotine are NOT health products! A health product makes therapeutic claims. E-cigs & e-juice don't do that! They're merely an alternative to smoking, not a smoking-cessation product or health product.

It sounds like Health Canada is throwing the gauntlet down now in the hopes of cowing suppliers, because they know that very soon the FDA will finally, forever have exhausted every last possible appeal in their attempt down there to misclassify e-cigs & e-juice. The FDA has lost every single time, before every level of U.S. court save the Supreme Court (which hasn't agreed to hear anything yet, & probably won't, given the incredible clarity of decision so far)...and every single time, the vote has been unanimous. Against the FDA.

The courts there have ruled emphatically (with not even one dissenting vote, ever) that as long as e-cigs/e-juice are not marketed as smoking cessation products, and do not make any therapeutic claims...that they must be allowed to be imported & regulated as a tobacco product (due to the optional nic) . Under those provisions, the FDA is explicitly forbidden to misclassify e-cigs or e-juice as a "smoking cessation product" "new drug" "health product" "drug delivery device" etc etc etc.

---

Health Canada's March 2009 has always been intended to "keep in step" with the FDA (remember, the FDA began seizing huge e-cig shipments in 2008 - their misclassifications were formulated before HC adopted them). Now that the FDA has obviously lost - badly (and obviously HC wasn't expecting that) - they realize that the news is going to go as follows:

"It's allowed in the U.S.; the FDA fought it and utterly lost; it's regulated as a tobacco product there now, and guess what, the sky hasn't fallen. Why the hell are you arguing the same failed classification that the FDA did, Health Canada?! Why are you misclassifying e-cigs & e-juice? Why, why, why?!"

They're not going to be able to pull out the "FDA's lead" as an excuse anymore. In fact they're going to be on the defensive for a policy that contradicts the pro-vaping one that will shortly be in place in the States. So seeing the way the tide is turning, they're throwing down the gauntlet & getting a kick out of brandishing threats while they can.

Furthermore, current Canadian law re: nicotine is already on our side! No one is getting anywhere near 4mg of nicotine from a drag or puff on their PV. Anything 4mg or under "per dose" (a drag constitutes a dose) is already legal & does not fall under Schedule F issues!

---

I seriously think it's time that we vapers start discussing the possibility of a class-action suit against Health Canada. We'd need legal representation, obviously, and it'd have to be someone who would take this case on pro-bono. I'm sure we could arrange a fund to contribute whatever little bit of money we can to the legal team, as our thanks. But this is a case that Health Canada is not only forcing us into...it's a case we'd win.

Yes, we would win. Because e-cigs & e-juice are factually not health products, nor are they even marketed as such. They are not pharmaceuticals. And there is plenty of scientific, clinical proof now that vaping e-juice via e-cigs is much, much safer than tobacco smoking. And we all know that tobacco cigs have market authorization.

Imagine if you will: what if they outlawed coffe in Canada, but said "Don't worry! You can go to the pharmacy and pay a fortune for caffeine patches. Problem solved!" Problem not solved. There'd be revolution! Enjoying a delicious cup of coffe is hardly just about the caffeine; it's the whole sensual experience of it. But the caffeine is an essential part.

And in the same way, a smoker does not smoke just for the nicotine...but it is an essential part of the process. This is why vaping works so effectively as a replacement for smoking; it simulates it perfectly, without actually creating any smoke & without the danger, while still delivering the nicotine as well.

Anyway...vape on & let's get talking about that class-action lawsuit! Perhaps CASAA can give us some friendly advice on how to proceed. I'm afraid I'm personally not sure where to begin; the Yellow Pages (see Lawyers)??? This'll be a landmark win for whomever takes on our case...so we shouldn't be too hard pressed to find someone who'll fight for us, & share in the glory of the legal win.

Last edited:

Kams Cats

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
I think its time to go back to analogs before I wind up in prison for posessing a vaperizer better known as drug paraphernalia. This blows but I have 4 kids to worry about, I would rather smoke and die of cancer then go thew this garbage and maybe wind up in prison.

I am angry too but don't go back to smoking. Just remember, where there is a will there is a way.

IanK1968

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Toronto Canada
www.mapleleafvapes.com
This is baloney, Vapables had the best do more in may juice. I can go 2 minutes to the corner store, pick up smokes and done. Now I gotta order, hope to hell HC doesnt close them down before I get my order, and if they do and I run out of juice Im gonna smoke anyways. I can order out of Canada, but the way HC is going my orders will be seized and I will have no juice and out the money. Forget it, this is stupid, PLayers Light here I come. Thanks alot you b*stards at HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread