vape budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batsu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2010
oregon
so my OH and i were talking about setting up a vape budget for me, asked me how much i wanted, and well..... i dunno honestly it's a hard number to quantify, i don't always order stuff every month, but once in a while i get a wild urge to buy something, i wanna get the pink spot sample pack, been dieing to try out this vendor. i dunno how much to ask for, i dont wanna go overboard, but you know. sorry if it sounds weird. how much do you guys allow yourselfs for a vape budget.

Batsu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2010
oregon
Maybe $75 a month if your on a budget. I can do less but better to have enough.If you can go $100 then you can have extra for something special now and then.

i was thinking somewhere between 50-100 that way ill have money for juices and extra misc things when i need them, like i need a new drip tip something fierce, my "clear" one is more hazy than anything else, and its the only one i have left.

sanjosse

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
San Jose, CA
The way I figure it, is to take how much my wife still spends on analogs ($2,200) a year and split it in half. That way I can still say I spend less for my habit. In actuality, last year I spent only $725. So the remaining amount goes toward my other habit, my Chevy SS.

Can ya say "WIN - WIN" :p

Batsu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2010
oregon
The way I figure it, is to take how much my wife still spends on analogs ($2,200) a year and split it in half. That way I can still say I spend less for my habit. In actuality, last year I spent only $725. So the remaining amount goes toward my other habit, my Chevy SS.

Can ya say "WIN - WIN" :p

lol if only my other half smoked =(

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
I think 1/2 of what one spent on analogs is workable.

Vape gear can be like clothes or shoes -- we want more and sometimes the deals are so good! But, also like clothes and shoes -- they do wear out, there are new styles to tempt us and sales are frequent.

I do like new clothes -- and new vape gear. :)

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
The longer you're in this the lower your expenses will be, at least that's been my experience. When I started out I was spending lots of cash trying out different things and building up some stock. Now that I've been vaping for quite a while I have equipment that works like it should all the time, a stockpile of spare parts, and more juice than I could vape in a year.

So my suggestion is to estimate a bit high, then when you get a handle on things you've got some latitude. Plus, I've found it's easier to negotiate a higher starting point than to go back and ask for it later. It'll also let you build up some spare vape $$$ to spend on stuff you just want, rather than just meeting your needs.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I spend $18 for 30 days eLiquid. Bought 2 Vision Stone Tanks this month, that makes my total $39.48. Ordered a couple more batts for ProVari, so add nuther $30 bucks. The batts will last at least a year, so $2.50 per mo; the Stone Tanks, guessing a month ea, so $11.50 per mo; and the juice $18. Pro rate the ProVari over 2 years = $10.41+$18+$11.50+$2.50=$42.41 per month. I smoked whatever readymade analog was cheapest, averaged $350 per month. I'm saving $307.59 per month, or $3,691.08 per annum. But, the real savings are I may live another 33 years. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Last edited:

Batsu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2010
oregon
well im debating buying the pink spot sampler pack, but im not sure the juice is worth the price, and i hate getting burned on juice, i seem to be a pretty light vapor i guess, my 18650's on my lava tube would last me 2 days if i didnt change them out every morning. i got plenty of working/new attys, and thanks to some ppl here i have a couple backups. just the sampler pack is pushing 30$ shipped and i would hate to get burned on that many flavors.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I'm not much for budgets. Money is just the stuff I have sometimes that I trade for other stuff. Some stuff is more important than other stuff, so I try to be careful what I trade for and when.

That said:

Don't restrict yourself too much. I don't know how many times I've read posts about people being back on analogs because their PV broke or they ran out of juice or some mishap occurred. Making sure you have extra gear and a little back up supplies stash is wise. And I'll +1 cskent with his statement that the longer you do this, the less you will have to spend. Finding juices and devices that suit you can be expensive. Once you find them, then it's just a matter of stocking what you need.

Also, one thing I think a lot of people would be better off avoiding is the desire to try everything. Some of us have big collections of PVs.... It's easy to spend too much on hardware. It sounds like you have a nice mod now, so other than something for a back up in case of failure or mishap, just try not to look too hard at other mods for a while.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
I used to spend over $250.00 a month on my Benson & Hedges. In the first year vaping I averaged right around $50.00 a month on vaping supplies (mixing my own juice after the first month).
I suggest setting aside $60.00 or $70.00 every month and on the months that you don't spend it all carry the balance over into subsequent months. That way if you want a Darwin or GG or some such thing down the road it won't be such a big deal.

Murdock Ruml

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
Alaska
Here us what I did. Get a reloadable visa money card and loaded $100 every month( this is half of what I would spend on tobacco) even if I did not order anything that month. This makes it easy to see exactly how much you are spending on vaping. And you know you are saving money. After awhile you will start to save up quite a bit on money on that card. That's how I saved to buy my provari. I just hit my 2 year mark and now I have lowered the amount I load on my card to $50 a month. To date the amount I have spend on vaping- just under$2000. Amount I would of spent on tobacco-$4800. The hardest part is getting set up initially after that it is just sustaining and experimenting with things in search of the perfect vape.

annah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2009
Virginia Beach
Here's my long explanation of what I have done:

I don't count my initial purchase in my budget. (i actually bought my ego a whole year ago, but the analogs were refusing to let me use it. mostly, I was too scared to quit again) Since I bought it so long ago, that money is long gone, that's why I don't count it. Anyway, every 2 weeks I have been spending my analog money on supplies. Some of my orders are still on the way and haven't arrived yet. But for the total of $153 (i spent $180/month on analogs) and some shopping of sales, I have bought 5 attys, 2 spare battery chargers, and a little over 800ml of juice. I'm going DIY, so about half of that is unflavored, plus the glycerin to dilute it, and the flavoring that I know I love. I also got other odds and ends- extra flavorings to try, a new bigger case for my ego, etc. I am quite set on supplies for a long while.

My first attempt at vaping 2+ years ago, ended in a dramatic failure, when husband did not support my proposed budget, and I could not afford to stock up on extras. I had battery failure, and a charger failure, which resulted in me being back on analogs. I refuse to allow that to happen again, and demanded my full analog budget for vaping supplies. I have nothing I need to buy with my analog money coming from this next check, so that money will sit in a jar and wait until I need it. Or, when I have enough there, I will pay a bill, so husband can see that I am actually spending less money now that I used to be.

If you were saying that your full analog budget wasn't doable because of finances, consider that while smoking, you somehow managed to find that money. I am very, very broke, yet we always found money for cigarettes. Even if you allow yourself only a percentage, say 50%, or 75% of your budget, that would be far better than letting the budget get dropped too low, and not being able to afford replacements for blown attys, etc.

I would suggest that you stick to the full budget (or as close to it as you can manage) until you have a stockpile of supplies and juice capable of getting you through several months. After that point, I would re-evaluate, and see how much $$ you need to maintain that stockpile. For example, I use 90ml of juice a month, so I have to be able to afford at least that much. I don't know what my average cost on batteries and attys will be yet, since I have not blown one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread