Vape device number 21 not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefutureisnow

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Florida
One of you guys suggested the Voopoo drag x when I discussed my 20th vape device no longer charging through the USB mini. It was a Geekvape which they claim are indestructible. Of course they don't mention how the USB port is a cheap piece of garbage that will eventually fail even when treated delicately. I received the Voopoo drag x in the mail a couple days ago. I didn't realize it doesn't come with a battery so I picked up an IR18650-25R 20A 3.7V battery at a local vape shop. It was working beautifully for about a half hour and then it would just turn off. Even if I pushed the buttons or clicked five times, it wouldn't power up unless I took out the battery, put it back in and then clicked five times. Then I would get a few puffs and it would turn off again. Then today, I started receiving a message that said "atomizer short". I kept getting this message over and over even if I took out the coil and put it back in. Occasionally, it would start working again, but between the device powering off and the atomizer short problem, it's more or less unusable. It was only about $60 in total so no biggie. So now I'm shopping around for my 22nd vape device. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I gotta say that sounds like either you have really terrible luck, are very hard on your gear, or have no troubleshooting skills.

Chances are there was an issue with the coil from the get go, and the device was powering off to protect you and the device. Replace the coil, and see if the behavior continues. Also sounds like you might be getting counterfeit batteries. Get your batteries from a reputable source, charge them on a good, external charger, and only use the USB port for emergency charging, and firmware updates.

If a new, good battery and a fresh coil do not solve the problem, contact VooPoo. The device is still under warranty, and they should replace it.

In 7 years, I've had maybe 8 devices fail.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
I received the Voopoo drag x in the mail a couple days ago. I didn't realize it doesn't come with a battery so I picked up an IR18650-25R 20A 3.7V battery at a local vape shop. It was working beautifully for about a half hour and then it would just turn off.

Is it just me that finds this a bit weird?
I mean before acquiring a vaping product (or any other product for that matter) i like to read or watch reviews and inform myself a bit to see if that is the product for me or maybe there is something else that is better.

Not knowing that the Drax X doesn't have an internal battery or that it doesn't include an external one in the package (they never do) is kinda odd...20 vaping devices and you don't know this?

But hey we all different so whatever,anyway back to the topic at hand.

Yeah like @Shawn Hoefer said,before discarding the device make sure all the variables are covered.
Good batteries,try a new coil (sometimes you get a dud),maybe the pod leaked etc etc.

On top of that i would highly recommend you get a good charger for your batteries instead of using the charging port in the mod.
I mean you can use the mod to charge the battery in a pinch but it's way better if you use a charger,i have been using this one but the 2 battery version:

https://www.amazon.es/Nitecore-UMS4-Cargador-Recargables-Universal/dp/B07L8LW9NG/ref=sr_1_12?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=nitecore&qid=1621292516&sr=8-12

From what i have heard unless the vaping device has a DNA chip it is safer and better to use a charger,better for the mod and better for the lifespan of the batteries.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Having seen with my own eyes vape stores selling flashlight batteries to customers My suspicion would actually be with the battery. That doesn't mean that's 100% correct but I've seen some pretty faulty batteries coming out of vape shops before. Even at the best of them they're usually rewraps if they're not just plain junk which means you don't really know what they are.

thefutureisnow

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Florida
I shouldn't have to trouble shoot anything. I put the battery in. I put the coil in. I put the juice in. And it should work. I shouldn't be googling "Voopoo atomizer short" or "Voopoo battery turning off". I'll look into the external charger, but I don't understand why I can't charge it with the battery inside This is the first time getting a vape that had an external battery so I thought it was included.

thefutureisnow

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Florida
I gotta say that sounds like either you have really terrible luck, are very hard on your gear, or have no troubleshooting skills.

Chances are there was an issue with the coil from the get go, and the device was powering off to protect you and the device. Replace the coil, and see if the behavior continues. Also sounds like you might be getting counterfeit batteries. Get your batteries from a reputable source, charge them on a good, external charger, and only use the USB port for emergency charging, and firmware updates.

If a new, good battery and a fresh coil do not solve the problem, contact VooPoo. The device is still under warranty, and they should replace it.

In 7 years, I've had maybe 8 devices fail.

By the way, I don't appreciate your attitude. This is supposed to be a positive community where we help each other.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
By the way, I don't appreciate your attitude. This is supposed to be a positive community where we help each other.
How is helping you with your troubleshooting skills bad attitude. IF you had outlined the steps you had taken to troubleshoot the device beyond taking the battery out and putting it back in, I likely wouldn't have come to that conclusion.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
I shouldn't have to trouble shoot anything. I put the battery in. I put the coil in. I put the juice in. And it should work. I shouldn't be googling "Voopoo atomizer short" or "Voopoo battery turning off". I'll look into the external charger, but I don't understand why I can't charge it with the battery inside This is the first time getting a vape that had an external battery so I thought it was included.

Not as simple as that.
A lot of variables come into play when using a vaping apparatus.
A Drag X or any other mod like that is not as simple as a Juul or any other similar device that you just charge directly and start vaping...

Like anything in life it is good to get some knowledge about the stuff you use,lot of threads around if you google that will tell you why it's not recommended that you use the mod to charge the battery (unless it has a DNA chip).

And yeah about the coils,sometimes you get a dud,that means you gotta toss it and grab a new one,it happens.

He gave you some valuable information,i don't see this so called ''attitude'' that you speak of.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Out of 21 devices you've never come across a device that requires an external battery? You're not incapable of reading the specs and reviews online... obviously, you're reading and responding to comments here.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you're buying Chinese, mass produced hardware and wondering why it's not working out of the box and appear unwilling to look for solutions beyond whining on here that nothing works.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Not as simple as that.
A lot of variables come into play when using a vaping apparatus.
A Drag X or any other mod like that is not as simple as a Juul or any other similar device that you just charge directly and start vaping...

Like anything in life it is good to get some knowledge about the stuff you use,lot of threads around if you google that will tell you why it's not recommended that you use the mod to charge the battery (unless it has a DNA chip).
This is as far into thread as I made it. Yes, we tend to be very helpful but I see the attitude more from your side. OK... lets move on.
I agree with the above quote... good advice. We all have moments of "techno" frustration. I don't mean to judge you but that many issues with vape devices? Do some research, watch some videos. And let others help you.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    so I picked up an IR18650-25R 20A 3.7V battery at a local vape shop

I'll look into the external charger, but I don't understand why I can't charge it with the battery inside This is the first time getting a vape that had an external battery so I thought it was included.

You better read up on battery safety. These batteries are not anything like the Energizer or Duracell batteries you buy at the grocery store. You could possibly blow one up and/or burn down your house and/or blow your face off if you just treat them like grocery store batteries. Very dangerous in the hands of those who just want a maintenance-free, carefree vape experience.

I shouldn't have to trouble shoot anything. I shouldn't have to trouble shoot anything. I put the battery in. I put the coil in. I put the juice in. And it should work.

You do in the world of vape. That's one of the reasons why many smokers do not and will will never take to vaping.

You may be better off just using disposable and semi-disposable vapes. They exist for a reason. But I warn you right now, don't expect a trouble-free experience with those either.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    One of you guys suggested the Voopoo drag x when I discussed my 20th vape device no longer charging through the USB mini. It was a Geekvape which they claim are indestructible. Of course they don't mention how the USB port is a cheap piece of garbage that will eventually fail even when treated delicately.

GekVape do not claim their mods are indestructible. I have a Aegis Max and a Solo. They are IP67 water resistant (waterproof at up to 1 meter for 30 minutes), IP67 dust proof (totally protected against dust) and shock resistant (not indestructible). Their chip is very good, but the screen is pretty basic. There are videos of them being torture tested buy driving over them with a car, dropping them, etc, and they are really hard to kill.

These both go up to 100 watts, but if you're using a 18650 battery, neither will do that for long and both require the appropriate battery to be able to do that at all. The 21700 batteries are really beneficial if you want to vape that high because at 100 watts, with the battery at 3.8V, it will see around 30 amps of draw.

I always use an external charger so I have no experience with the charge port on these, but it would really surprise me if they used sub-par parts for theirs. These mods are about as tough as you can get for vaping.

I received the Voopoo drag x in the mail a couple days ago. I didn't realize it doesn't come with a battery so I picked up an IR18650-25R 20A 3.7V battery at a local vape shop. It was working beautifully for about a half hour and then it would just turn off.

I never buy my batteries at my local vape shop because I don't know if they sell authentic batts. Most vape shops do not test their batteries before they sell them. There are a bunch of known, trusted, battery sellers. Illumn.com, IMRBatteries.com and 18650batterystore.com come to mind, but there are a few more.

If you have a non-authentic battery that suffers from a lot of voltage sag, that could be part of the problem you're having, but I don't know the Drag X well enough to be sure of that. In any case, making sure you have authentic batteries is also important for safety. A battery that catches fire or explodes as you take a drag is going to make for a bad day.

Then today, I started receiving a message that said "atomizer short". I kept getting this message over and over even if I took out the coil and put it back in.

You could have a bad coil, try a new one. This can happen.

So now I'm shopping around for my 22nd vape device. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've been vaping since 2012 and have probably bought around 40 mods. The first few years not many mods were dependable and some didn't work well at all, but since then I have only had issues with a couple of them. Of these couple, one failed after 6 months and the other after a year.

You are doing something wrong. You can continue to buy new hardware of this type hoping to find something that works for you, but IMO you are going to continue to have problems. If you want to be successful with vaping, you need to learn more about the hardware capabilities (including batteries) and about best vaping practices generally.

The people posting in this thread are trying to help you, as am I. It's up to you to learn though, no-one can make anyone do something they don't want to. Disposables are also an option, as they require the least knowledge to use successfully.

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    I shouldn't have to trouble shoot anything. I put the battery in. I put the coil in. I put the juice in. And it should work.
    i agree but, as others have noted, that's just not the way it is. The manufacturers do have warranties and support people to help.

I don't understand why I can't charge it with the battery inside
    You can but, put simply, it strains the mod. Charging externally is more convenient anyway; your mod is free to use w/ another battery while the one is charging.

So now I'm shopping around for my 22nd vape device. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Simple & generally reliable seems like the way to go. Maybe check out Vaporesso's Gen Nano & Luxe Nano and Innokin's MVP5 or, if you like MTL, Coolfire Z50 & Coolfire Mini & Adept.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    thefutureisnow, sounds like you need a charger that displays current charge and internal resistance readings. Without knowing the condition of the cell and its current charge level it's a gamble. Charging to full voltage using the vape device could take several hours.

You also need to know that new cells come with a storage charge level. That's about 40%-60%. Using the device to charge could take hours. You need a standalone lithium charger. Cutoff on most devices is about 3.5v, so it's understandable that a new lithium cell right out of the box will approach cutoff very quickly unless it's charged to full charge level before using.

Using the vape mod to charge the cell could take most of the day. You need a standalone charger.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I shouldn't have to trouble shoot anything.

Don't worry, when I first started vaping I also felt overwhelmed with the technical aspects, but it can be learned. If I can learn this anyone can, you just need a measure of will to do so.

I put the battery in. I put the coil in. I put the juice in. And it should work. I shouldn't be googling "Voopoo atomizer short" or "Voopoo battery turning off".

You would think so but there are several aspects at play such as questions like:

Did you put the battery in the right way?

Did you turn the mod on?

Is the mod making a connection with the coil? or, is the coil not screwed in all the way?

Did you turn the power/wattage up high enough to actually fire the coil your using?

Is the battery capable of functioning at the power level your trying to use?

Did you actually charge the battery after you purchased it?

Is the battery authentic or is it a cheap rewrapped clone or factory rejects?

You can't plug a 110 hair dryer into a 220 clothes dryer socket for a reason, and as an operator of those two items you know you need enough knowledge not to even try. Not everything works together - because not everything has the same electrical requirements.

When your using advanced vape gear, they are called 'advanced" products because it requires a more advanced level of knowledge to successfully operate them.

However while they may require a more advanced level of knowledge, learning it is worth it in the end because when you do you won't ever complain again about your worthless gear, and the vape far exceeds anything put out using beginner gear.

I'll look into the external charger, but I don't understand why I can't charge it with the battery inside

Because they are lithium batteries and they have a tendency to blow up/explode when they get too hot. Charging in a tightly enclosed area with little to no airflow creates too much heat and it becomes seriously dangerous. Hence, external chargers that are open to plenty of air and space for the heat of the charger to disperse without negatively affecting your batteries.

Don't worry a good charger is reasonably priced:

Nitecore i4 4 Channel Battery Charger

GYRFALCON All-44 4 Channel Digital Battery Charger

This is the first time getting a vape that had an external battery so I thought it was included.

Nope .. never included and will have stated so in the package contents where you purchased. 'Battery not included'

I buy only from reputable battery wholesalers like IMR batteries or Lion Wholesalers...

You need to check out "Battery Mooch" either his blog or YouTube channel, to learn more about the best batteries to use for what type of device your using - which is regulated - and whatever power level you'd like to vape at.

He is a forum member and has a blog here:

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

And a YouTube channel here:

^^^ watch that video.

Last edited:

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Don't know if it helps but the only time I get the atomizer short or no atomizer msg is when the wattage is not correct for the ohm of the coil. For example, if I forget to turn the wattage down and change to a high ohm coil, I will get msg and it won't fire.

Other thing to check is if the coil is inserted tightly and if there continues to be leakage of liquid.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread