Vape Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowjumper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2015
Union Mills NC
Back in the old days (2010-2011):rolleyes: when wire was harder to come by, there were a few threads on here about using the wire out of toasters or hair driers. They found thin enough wire to use:lol:. One even found 3 different sizes of wire in a old hair drier. So hit up your junk pile :danger: mite work!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I can't speak to health effects but you might try to find some stranded speaker wire or even phone line wire and pull out a single strand (maybe 2 or 3 strands and twist together, if the resistance is too high) and try that. I have no clue what the resistance will be b/c that is going to depend on the specific material and gauge of that particular wire. I wouldn't suggest this for long term use but when you are in a pinch sometimes you just have to McGyver some :censored: and hope for the best.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I can't speak to health effects but you might try to find some stranded speaker wire or even phone line wire and pull out a single strand (maybe 2 or 3 strands and twist together, if the resistance is too high) and try that. I have no clue what the resistance will be b/c that is going to depend on the specific material and gauge of that particular wire. I wouldn't suggest this for long term use but when you are in a pinch sometimes you just have to McGyver some :censored: and hope for the best.

Speaker wire is usually Litz wire – multiple strands to achieve a desired larger gauge. Sometimes they maybe coated to reduce oxidation. I wouldn’t vape that. Telephone wire contains a lot of aluminum, not safe.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Speaker wire is usually Litz wire – multiple strands to achieve a desired larger gauge. Sometimes they maybe coated to reduce oxidation. I wouldn’t vape that. Telephone wire contains a lot of aluminum, not safe.

That is why I lead with "I can't speak to health effects", but it is probably still better than smoking. Just offering possibilities. Cat5 cable could be another source. Again I don't know whats in it and it's probably not healthy either.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
That is why I lead with "I can't speak to health effects", but it is probably still better than smoking. Just offering possibilities. Cat5 cable could be another source. Again I don't know whats in it and it's probably not healthy either.

Aluminum has a low melting point and can produce toxic fumes. Cat5 also has a high aluminum content and should have mentioned, same with cheap speaker wire.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Aluminum has a low melting point and can produce toxic fumes. Cat5 also has a high aluminum content and should have mentioned, same with cheap speaker wire.

Actually most of the phone wire I have separated seemed to be mostly copper. Of course I wasn't using it for vaping and didn't inspect it too closely. I was using it as electrical detonator for homemade fireworks and for that it did it's job well.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Actually most of the phone wire I have separated seemed to be mostly copper. Of course I wasn't using it for vaping and didn't inspect it too closely. I was using it as electrical detonator for homemade fireworks and for that it did it's job well.

It’s not pure copper. Copper is expensive (in comparison) and Cat5 and Tel wire can and will mix other cheaper metals such as aluminum and even tin to reduce it’s cost.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK

Do not do this!!

Sheaman

Oct 5, 2018
Will check for some toaster or hairdryer type elements .... Not likely. I'll het the kitchen up...raid the warehouse...
I found some multi strand stainless cable used to stabilise an antenna... Is braided out of maybe 24g... Got a feeling tit will be too high a tensile to bend. The Leccy recons there's some scrap around some where... Have smok V8 and ?V12 coil pack coming over from another rig soon. Thoughts on canabalising one of them? Also thinking of "washing" the last stainless coil I'm using now but no etoh for solvent. Don't think wringing a hundred alcohol swabs will provide enough.... Maybe beat the 22g with a hammer then grind it thinner?

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
beat the 22g with a hammer then grind it thinner
I think that's your best bet at getting a thinner wire (it'll be more of a flat wire then). You might have to torch it afterwards, it can get more brittle with hammering.
You could also not hammer it and just file half of it away (since you don't even need 1 foot to make a coil, and obviously clean it well after filing)

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Your best bet will be cannibalizing the Smok coils.
Done carefully, you should have no issues using the wire from them.

Using Cat5, telco, or speaker wire is not only dangerous to health, but it will likely melt through almost immediately if the mod will even fire it. It will register as a dead short.

The wires mentioned above are also specifically designed to be ultra low resistance.
For example, Cat 5 is generally 8 conductor, 24 gauge copper alloy that has a resistance of about 2.5 ohms per 100 feet.
Good luck wrapping a .9 ohm coil with it that will fit in your cupti casing, lol. :D

I had to go ahead and point this out since it appeared some were actually entertaining the notion that using using any of these wires was remotely possible or advisable.

Thus endeth my PSA. :)

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I'm surprised they let you vape. I worked in the oilfield years ago back in the 70s. We didn't have Vapes we just smoke cigarettes. If you were caught smoking a cigarette you was fired. Raccoon point field Florida I'm not trying to be a smart-... I'm just telling you the way it used to be

Was there not designated smoking area’s? I’ve done contract work (networking) for a few chemical and oil refineries and they had designated smoking area’s. And this was in 90’s when smoking was more frowned upon than back in the swingin’ 70’s

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
Was there not designated smoking area’s? I’ve done contract work (networking) for a few chemical and oil refineries and they had designated smoking area’s. And this was in 90’s when smoking was more frowned upon than back in the swingin’ 70’s
Yeah it was pretty much a Humdinger of a job. No designated smoking area. We were in the middle of the swamp. You could smoke if you were not on the pad. I really like that job but I switched for a higher-paying job. Different energy sector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread