Vape Experience required for cloud comp???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerialVapist1991

Jul 20, 2015
I am "new' to vaping but loving every second of it! So I heard there is going to be a cloud comp close to where I live and I am considering entering. How long should you have vaped for before doing something like that? Obviously there is no time line but I was just wondering what your guy's thoughts were!!!??? [HASHTAG]#vapelife[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#iwantthatbelt[/HASHTAG]

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
OP, I encourage you to learn about this style of vaping, and in due time perhaps participate in a competition. However what you are saying is the equivalent of someone wishing to participate in a track day, without a car or knowing how to drive one.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I was planning on getting some "lessons" from some of the guys from the shop I frequent they are experts!
In my personal experience (I worked for a vape shop in 2014 which held many cloud chasing contests), those folks who cloud chase in competitions are not so concerned about safe coil resistances or the proper batteries to use at low resistances.

They often build below 0.2 ohms, which requires a battery with over 30 amps CDR. THERE ARE NO 18650 BATTERIES WITH OVER 30 AMPS CDR ON THE MARKET.

They put a lot of faith into "35 and 40 amp" batteries. THERE ARE NO 18650 BATTERIES WITH OVER 30 AMPS CDR ON THE MARKET.

Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised

They also put a lot of faith into cheap ohm readers which likely are not precise or accurate to a hundredth of an ohm. This is critical. One would have to use a recently calibrated Fluke digital multimeter (for at least $1000).

What I'm trying to say here is learning safety tips from "guys from the shop" and who may not necessarily be "experts", may not be the best folks to learn from. They probably don't have your best interests in mind when they recommend you buy this or that, do this or that. But, its good that you are asking questions and found ECF where experienced vets can offer SAFE information.

I personally recommend setting aside a pair of the highest amp CDR batteries strictly for contests, and not to be used for daily use. Sony VTC3 or Sony VTC4 are true 30 amp CDR batteries; Sony VTC5 are only 20 amps CDR when tested. Better yet, the new LGHB6 1500 mah 30 amp CDR is an ever better choice for competitions.

All 30A-Capable Batteries Shootout -- Bench Test Results -- Which battery is best?

convert

LG18650HB6 1500 mAh 30 amp CDR IMR/hybrid

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Wow thanks for the replies , I am going to enquire at the shop where I get my juice at for rules as for EQUIPMENT I would have to invest in new stuff, anyone have an idea about cost? overall? as for practise my clouds have been getting bigger each day
Don't rush to buy anything just to be in the contest. Do your research.

Learn about mechanical mod safety. Learn about ohm's law. Most of all learn about which batteries are safest for super-sub-ohm vaping.

Battery Basics for Mods

An Inexpensive Mechanical Mod & RDA Setup

Explain It To The Noob: Ohm's Law Calculators

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome to the board. I am not a cloud competitor, so I'll let others more skilled than I guide you. I do know most comps require mech mods, and I have been a mekkie for a long time. Please be very careful; mechs are dangerous in unskilled hands. Here's some excellent blog posts from one of our resident guru, @Baditude :
(9) Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR? | E-Cigarette Forum
(12) Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries - Part I | E-Cigarette Forum
(11) Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries - Part II | E-Cigarette Forum
(15) Inexpensive Mechanical Mod/RDA Setup | E-Cigarette Forum
(16) Explain it for the dumb noob: Ohm's Law calculations. | E-Cigarette Forum

Get your brain around all that and hit us with another post and we'll work thru the finer points :)

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Please post back when you find out what the rules are.

I have recently heard of a few "cloud comps" where they had two different entry types that were available. One for mech mods, one for regulated mods.

I was pleased to hear that one of them required builds no lower than 0.2Ω (mech mods) and no higher than 100w (regulated mods). The B&M that hosted this comp was concerned about safety.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
This is the rules for the Vape Capitol cloud comp that was held at the NJ Vape Expo a couple of weekends ago:

1. Authentic mods only
2. Lowest ohms allowed 0.1
3. Must build on site
4. 15 minute build time
5. Tube mods only
6. No box mods, no stacking
7. Must use our comp liquid for all qualifier comps and finals
8. Dual coil only
9. 45 second runs for tricksters
10. Only 64 qualifiers per category/per shop

SerialVapist1991

Jul 20, 2015
I was planning on getting some "lessons" from some of the guys from the shop I frequent they are experts! I've been wanting to do this for a while since I love competing! After my accident I was no longer able to compete in my sport which I dedicated over a decade too which led to depression booze drugs and worst of all smoking how ever I fought through it was able to follow the lord and essentially drop all vices and find a passway through Vaping which is leading my quest to win a cloud competition one day and complete this journey!

richard lee wong

Jul 20, 2015
Duncan B.c
I would say that you should be vaping for at least 213 vapes before entering any competitions, that will ensure that you know what you are doing everything correctly, also in your spare time(I practice while watching t.v) practice breathing in and out very hard to exercise your lungs 2-3 weeks before a big event.
One more thing Make sure you vape a juice with a high VG content, this is what makes big clouds believe me I know, I suggest SAVAGE E-liquid any flavour
[HASHTAG]#vapetothemoon[/HASHTAG]

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    947 KB · Views: 137

SerialVapist1991

Jul 20, 2015
I would say that you should be vaping for at least 213 vapes before entering any competitions, that will ensure that you know what you are doing everything correctly, also in your spare time(I practice while watching t.v) practice breathing in and out very hard to exercise your lungs 2-3 weeks before a big event.
One more thing Make sure you vape a juice with a high VG content, this is what makes big clouds believe me I know, I suggest SAVAGE E-liquid any flavour
[HASHTAG]#vapetothemoon[/HASHTAG]

Thanks for the advice Big Rich I will start doing that tonight! How many times have you competed? Do you have any titles?
ps. love a fellow hashtager [HASHTAG]#vapelife[/HASHTAG]

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I am "new' to vaping but loving every second of it! So I heard there is going to be a cloud comp close to where I live and I am considering entering. How long should you have vaped for before doing something like that? Obviously there is no time line but I was just wondering what your guy's thoughts were!!!??? [HASHTAG]#vapelife[/HASHTAG] [HASHTAG]#iwantthatbelt[/HASHTAG]
If you have a mech mod and know how to build coils, you should definitely try it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You can participate if you have the required gear (mod type, proper batteries, safe coil build). Check the rules of the competition. Generally everything is inspected (coil resistance and battery type) prior to the contest to meet the rules for saftey purposes. (not only yours but everyone elses)

This is what happened at one vape contest: There was a vape blast at Vape Blast

pipebombmod1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread