Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Already been discussed for 3 pages here: First vape related death

This has been confirmed and it's making me question vaping a bit now! My ecig sometimes gets very hot sometimes to hot to put it to my mouth.

It's disconcerting tbh and I'm.thinking about just using patches as I'll be paranoid using my ecig at times now.

I'll be wanting more info on this vape death inn the coming days!

Don't use a mech mod incorrectly, and you shouldn't have any issues.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Vaping is only as dangerous as you make it.

Far more injury & property loss due to cell phones, laptops, battery operated power tools, battery powered children toys and the list goes on for pages upon pages.

And, no reason to start another thread when one already exists.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    "Cigarette fires cause close to 1,000 deaths and 3,000 injuries each year in the united states, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). As the ignition source in fires responsible for over 20% of all fire deaths , cigarettes are the nations largest single cause of such deaths."
    smoking house fires statistics - Google Search

Stav

Jun 6, 2015
    How long has the device been in use? Batteries age with time and lose performance, particularly when exposed to heat, overheating could be the result of a badly aged battery struggling to keep up with the device's power demands.

I've been using my device since September 2017. The battery does not last as long but long enough if I'm.out for 3-4 hours as I dont puff on it for ages 10-14 puffs each hour or 2

Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Since you are fairly new I'm not sure if you can tell the difference between the battery itself getting hot and heat through normal use. Our devices work by heating a wire in a metal housing, naturally some heat will end up in the atomizer body and spread to other parts of the device.

What you have is a regulated device, it has some protection built into it to keep you safe and if you're only a casual (non-hobby) user that's about the best you'll get without buying a device made for external batteries.
    You do not have a "mech" like the unfortunate Florida man used.

Nothing is 100% safe, not even tap water, but the risk you're taking is relatively low. If your battery starts to show signs of aging, like not holding charge like you're used to, it's time to replace the device. I'd think that would be between 1-2 years of use depending on how often you need to charge it.

Last edited:

Stav

Jun 6, 2015
    Since you are fairly new I'm not sure if you can tell the difference between the battery itself getting hot and heat through normal use. Our devices work by heating a wire in a metal housing, naturally some heat will end up in the atomizer body and spread to other parts of the device.

What you have is a regulated device, it has some protection built into it to keep you safe and if you're only a casual (non-hobby) user that's about the best you'll get without buying a device made for external batteries.

Nothing is 100% safe, not even tap water, but the risk you're taking is relatively low. If your battery starts to show signs of aging, like not holding charge like you're used to, it's time to replace the device. I'd think that would be between 1-2 years of use depending on how often you need to charge it.

Cheers bud I feel bit better
    The heat on my device is nearer the top where the drip tip goes in ?

Givin the guy who died was using a pen shaped ecig my one is like a cigar thickness one. I'm tempted to buy one that isn't pen shaped

crayfishx

Oct 18, 2013
    Malaga, Spain
    Cheers bud I feel bit better
    The heat on my device is nearer the top where the drip tip goes in ?

Givin the guy who died was using a pen shaped ecig my one is like a cigar thickness one. I'm tempted to buy one that isn't pen shaped

Drawing comparisons between the device that lead to this poor mans death and your own Aspire device on the basis of it's shape is entirely pointless. The difference is that he was using a 'mechanical mod', or 'mech' which is a piece of hardware that makes a physical circuit between the positive and negative ends of the battery running through the atomizer coil with absolutely no protections in place for things like hard shorts...etc so a badly built coil or a damaged battery would easily cause catastrophic battery failure, as happened here. Your device however is nothing of the sort, you have a battery which is connected to electronic circuitry that has chips offering all sorts of protections. You push the button and the circuit board controls pulling power from the battery and feeding it to your atomizer. In the above scenarios a regulated mod like yours will just not fire and/or show a warning.

The fact that it is similar in shape to your Aspire *regulated* electronic mod is completely irrelevant, so relax.

Read about basic battery safety (storage, wrappers...etc), understand the *real* amp limits of your battery and make sure you are using your device well within those stress limits, buy your batteries from reputable suppliers (not ebay!) and use a regulated mod as you are doing - follow those simple steps and you are not in any way in danger of following in this unfortunate mans footsteps.

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    When I read some articles I knew this would create unnecessary fear. The problem is that journalists are mostly f:censored: lazy and don't give a rats rectum about researching and getting terminology right.

What he used isn't called a "vape pen", neither in stores nor amongst vapers. He used what's known as a "mechanical mod" (or "mech mod"), a device that, like the name suggests, uses only mechanics (ie moving parts) to get the angry pixies into your atomizer. The one he used was presumably very old (the model is from 2013) and lacked even common sense safety features that most mechanical devices today have.

A "vape pen" is what you got - a pen shaped battery with a switch and an atomizer on top that works with electronics and not mechanics. Don't get bamboozled by bad articles written by people who don't know what they're talking about.
    The shape is irrelevant, it's what's inside that's important. A grenade shaped lighter isn't more dangerous than a run of the mill BIC.

Stav

Jun 6, 2015
    Drawing comparisons between the device that lead to this poor mans death and your own Aspire device on the basis of it's shape is entirely pointless. The difference is that he was using a 'mechanical mod', or 'mech' which is a piece of hardware that makes a physical circuit between the positive and negative ends of the battery running through the atomizer coil with absolutely no protections in place for things like hard shorts...etc so a badly built coil or a damaged battery would easily cause catastrophic battery failure, as happened here. Your device however is nothing of the sort, you have a battery which is connected to electronic circuitry that has chips offering all sorts of protections. You push the button and the circuit board controls pulling power from the battery and feeding it to your atomizer. In the above scenarios a regulated mod like yours will just not fire and/or show a warning.

The fact that it is similar in shape to your Aspire *regulated* electronic mod is completely irrelevant, so relax.

Read about basic battery safety (storage, wrappers...etc), understand the *real* amp limits of your battery and make sure you are using your device well within those stress limits, buy your batteries from reputable suppliers (not ebay!) and use a regulated mod as you are doing - follow those simple steps and you are not in any way in danger of following in this unfortunate mans footsteps.

Cheers bud its a relief knowing this as i am very much a rookie with regards to knowledge about ecig devices etc. Terrible for this to happen to the guy. Though my Gfriend is adamant she is either taking up smoking again or going to use patches. I'll talk her round and mention everything thats been said here.

I was back in California in March - April not very many ecig stores around places like manteca Modesto and livermore. I bet there are harsh regulations put in place inn the states now.

Stav

Jun 6, 2015
    When I read some articles I knew this would create unnecessary fear. The problem is that journalists are mostly f:censored: lazy and don't give a rats rectum about researching and getting terminology right.

What he used isn't called a "vape pen", neither in stores nor amongst vapers. He used what's known as a "mechanical mod" (or "mech mod"), a device that, like the name suggests, uses only mechanics (ie moving parts) to get the angry pixies into your atomizer. The one he used was presumably very old (the model is from 2013) and lacked even common sense safety features that most mechanical devices today have.

A "vape pen" is what you got - a pen shaped battery with a switch and an atomizer on top that works with electronics and not mechanics. Don't get bamboozled by bad articles written by people who don't know what they're talking about.
    The shape is irrelevant, it's what's inside that's important. A grenade shaped lighter isn't more dangerous than a run of the mill BIC.
    Cheers bud. It's all very unsettling but I'm glad I had this forum I joined last year. Hardly onnit as busy working traveling etc. Maybe moving to California so hope harsh regulations aren't brought in due to this poor man's death

• Optimistic

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    A mechanical mod is a vape without a computer chip or circuitry inside that regulates power. Your vape has that chip or circuitry, so the chance of this happening to you is far less. Your vape has the same chance of exploding as a cell phone, or laptop.

A mechanical mod or vape is simply a battery holder really. Nothing is there to regulate power or detect if anything is wrong with a battery. Only advanced vapers familiar with proper battery use, ohms law, etc... should use them. You need to know how much power you can safely draw from the battery you’re using, how much power the coil would use, how to recognize if something isn’t right...

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Cheers bud. It's all very unsettling but I'm glad I had this forum I joined last year. Hardly onnit as busy working traveling etc. Maybe moving to California so hope harsh regulations aren't brought in due to this poor man's death

I’m glad you posted your concerns about this here, so you could get advice rather than just run in fear. None of us knows everything, but some of these folks know loads!

On the other thread about this vape death, you will find a link to an article about battery safety. Please read it. That should explain some things, like proper charging, that you ought to know and might make you feel more comfortable.

The key here is knowledge. Most things on this planet are fairly safe if you know how to deal with them. Even alligators lol, they can’t eat you if you know where they tend to live, and you don’t go there.

I know enough to know I’m not knowledgeable enough to use a mech mod safely. Some people get into mechs without having a thorough understanding, and put themselves in danger.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    my Gfriend is adamant she is either taking up smoking again
    Might want to to show her the stats on how many people (thousands!) die in smoking-related fires every year, and then point out that this is the first vaping-related death in the more than 10 years that vaping has existed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread