Vape tastes burnt after sitting for a few days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaide

Dec 7, 2014
Florida
I got a Joyetech AIO recently. Filled it up and used for the 1st time on Sunday. I only hit it a dozen times or so that 1st day using not even 1mg of the 2mg tank. It vaped wonderfully with excellent flavor. I came down with a bad stomach flu so it sat in a drawer til now. Tried vaping it and tastes slightly burnt. Don't know what happened.. The juice is La Dolce Vita by Ruthless. It is 3mg and 70vg/30pg. Somewhat dark for 3mg juice.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
The darkness can be attributed to "heat steeping" inside the tank after using it and allowing it to sit.

The "burnt" tastes sounds very similar to what I experiance with all atomizers - giving the atomizer time to sit/cool down, when you press the button it super heats the liquid/wick too fast as the liquid is sill cold/room temp. I can usually avoid this by leaving my ecig in a warm area/pocket.
YMMV

Reactions: phaide

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Many different possibilities, each with it's own set of solutions.

I agree - laying on its side is not a good idea.
Long first Vape can overheat the coil on an under saturated wick. What is there will Bake not Vaporize.

Extended non-use:
Remove and store Tank inverted.
When ready, install tank, close air openings and take a few Power OFF draws to prime. Take a few shorter Draws with power to warm tank/liquid - Especially High VG.
If this does not clear the problem a Coil head replacement may be required to correct.

phaide

Dec 7, 2014
Florida
Many different possibilities, each with it's own set of solutions.

I agree - laying on its side is not a good idea.
Long first Vape can overheat the coil on an under saturated wick. What is there will Bake not Vaporize.

Extended non-use:
Remove and store Tank inverted.
When ready, install tank, close air openings and take a few Power OFF draws to prime. Take a few shorter Draws with power to warm tank/liquid - Especially High VG.
If this does not clear the problem a Coil head replacement may be required to correct.
Yeah, I did store it on its side... and I also took a long-ish draw the first time (4 sec maybe?). Tasted a bit burnt for a few. Priming and warming with a few short draws it started tasting right again. Not quite as good as that first day, but pretty close. I 'll continue using it for a week or so, then I'll change the atomizer head. Hopefully this knowledge is enough to keep it from happening again. Thanks!

Reactions: defdock

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yeah, I did store it on its side... and I also took a long-ish draw the first time (4 sec maybe?). Tasted a bit burnt for a few. Priming and warming with a few short draws it started tasting right again. Not quite as good as that first day, but pretty close. I 'll continue using it for a week or so, then I'll change the atomizer head. Hopefully this knowledge is enough to keep it from happening again. Thanks!

Atomizer heads don't last that long, especially if you use a dark juice or one that's sweet. The heat causes buildup on the wick and coil and the flavor quickly goes South. Change the head and see if that doesn't fix the flavor issue. Many atomizer heads only last a few days.

You might want to investigate rebuildable atomizers. When the flavor dies off or it starts to taste burnt you can pop the tank apart, pull out the wick, dry burn the crud off the coil, insert a new wick, and enjoy like new vapor and taste.

You can buy a years supply (or more) of cotton or rayon wick for $10. You may even be able to rewick the coil on your Joytech tank coil.

Reactions: phaide

phaide

Dec 7, 2014
Florida
Atomizer heads don't last that long, especially if you use a dark juice or one that's sweet. The heat causes buildup on the wick and coil and the flavor quickly goes South. Change the head and see if that doesn't fix the flavor issue. Many atomizer heads only last a few days.

You might want to investigate rebuildable atomizers. When the flavor dies off or it starts to taste burnt you can pop the tank apart, pull out the wick, dry burn the crud off the coil, insert a new wick, and enjoy like new vapor and taste.

You can buy a years supply (or more) of cotton or rayon wick for $10. You may even be able to rewick the coil on your Joytech tank coil.
A few days, eh? As far as rebuildable atomizers go, I've been trying to get away from that stuff. I used a mech mod for awhile and just wanted something simple. A 5 pack of AIO coils is only $10 shipped. I guess I'd be willing to pay that for ease of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread