Vapefly Galaxies MTL RDTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't have the Vapefly galaxies tank but at some point I want it. I can definitely attest that the berserker has one of the MOST restricted draws I have come across. I can also attest to the fact that it is one of the least thirsty tanks I have come across. I actually wound up using my 24 mm tank with the short tank, because it doesn't flood or gurgle like the 4 ml configuration and the flavor's better. I also like the way it looks all short and squat .I think others have come to the same conclusion on the berserker thread.

4 ml is not really needed in any case, given the frequency with which it doesn't need to be refilled. The flavor is outstanding.

I don't vape it much because the pull is so insane my dentures are always falling out due to the suction. LOL. I have considered getting the husband to drill me out a larger airhole, actually.

From what I've read the Vapefly galaxy tank is a BIT less restricted than the Berserker but is still a very nice vape. If you are looking to suck a golf ball though a hose, though, then the Berserker just might be for you. And again, I still like the tank and the only reason the airholes haven't been drilled out already is I'm worried it may affect the flavor.

Anna

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
How do the more restricted settings compare to something like the Berserker mini? ...or how does it compare to a cigarette?

I'd say this RDTA is about equal to the Berserker in tightness--give or take a smidge. It can actually be made a little tighter with some fiddling. The berserker tended to let in a little more air than wanted due to a poorly designed AFC ring that leaked a little air.

As for how it compares to a cigarette...It's actually been too long for me now to say. However, from the moment I quit smoking, I was chasing a tight, cigarette like draw. This RDTA is more than acceptable, if not quite perfect.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
I don't pretend to be a reviewer, so just some quick comments on this RDTA after a few day's use...

First off, no chance that this tank will replace my SXK Doggy Styles. Not surprised at that and was expected. That said, of the latest MTL releases I've tried (Berserker, Ares etc), it beats them.

1) Size: about the same profile as a Doggy. Nice.

2) Capacity: 2ml. But, this tank guzzles juice compared to the 3ml Doggy, so this REALLY needs to be on top of a squonk mod.

3) Deck: Not the easiest to build on. Not that it's hard...it's just a bit fiddly. The design doesn't allow you to get in there and easily position the coil exactly the way you want it. For a small build like mine (7 wrap, 2.5mm, 28g kanthal), the post screws are a little too far apart as well. This leads to some coil funkiness. But, not bad.

4) Wicking: It's an RDTA, so it's not hard. But, not nearly as easy as placing in wick channels like the Doggy. Like most RDTAs, you only need a bit of cotton poking through the wick holes. Anything more would be a waste and serve little purpose.

5) Airflow: About as tight on its single smallest hole as the Berserker is on its smallest (give or take). It can be made tighter with a bit of fiddling. Personally, not as tight as I like it (without fiddling), but smooth and acceptable.

6) The airflow adjustment screws on the deck: Pointless. They do nothing from what I can tell, but more testing is needed.

7) Filling: Easy. The port works well. However, do it slowly...the hole for the air to escape is tiny, so air can build up quickly and juice WILL flood the deck and you'll get some gurgling. Side note on capacity here....it's impossible to completely fill due to a little air getting trapped. So, the capacity is more like 1.5ml, but it's hit or miss.

8) Flavour: this is why it beats all the other newish tanks I've tried...it beats them all. Surprisingly, I can't decide if it's as good, or better, than the Doggy, so that says something.

9) Really really like the included black drip tip. Perfect.

10) Like most tanks of this design, if you want to dry burn, rinse, and rewick, you won't be doing it with juice in the tank. Something I failed to remember before I purchased. If I had, I would have passed. I need to dryburn and rewick every day (NETs), so this is a no go for daily use...for me.

So, overall...while the flavour seems to be spot on, the tank has usability issues (compared to the doggy style), that leave it falling quite short. That said, I think it would work for many MTL fans and would be worth a shot if it interests you at all. I'll continue to use it, but with a juice I just like to vape on every now and then for a few minutes each day.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
Are you a Kanthal man...maybe try 10 wraps st st 316L, spaced...

Nah. Not a fan of SS for MTL. I get better flavour and a better experience with plain ol' kanthal.

Anyone tried this with a squonker? Does it work well?

Haven't tried it yet, but all the videos I've seen show it working well.

Just a note as I've seen some confusion: It's not squonkable in the traditional sense...squonking merely fills up the tank.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
Yeah kanthal and KDG has a taste of its own.
I'm just thinking how you can fit a longer coil between the posts. You do your kanthal spaced?

Nope, don't used spaced. Prefer contact coils. It's no biggie...the deck doesn't cause THAT many issues with my build, it's just not ideal. :)

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
So, while my thoughts above still apply, I find myself enjoying this tank despite them. Keep planning to rewick the particular Doggy that houses my main tobacco, but keep reaching for the RDTA. Lol.

Almost tempted to get a small dedicated squonker to keep this on, but I've purchased a pulse 80 recently for a Recurve and can't really justify it. Lol

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
So, while my thoughts above still apply, I find myself enjoying this tank despite them. Keep planning to rewick the particular Doggy that houses my main tobacco, but keep reaching for the RDTA. Lol.

Almost tempted to get a small dedicated squonker to keep this on, but I've purchased a pulse 80 recently for a Recurve and can't really justify it. Lol
I'm planning on running this and my Ammit RDA on a Pico Squeeze OG once I build and play with them a bit.

I prefer regulated mods, but one of these on a Pico squeeze gives a very small setup. The squeeze was $16 and some change last time I got them on FT.

Would be a very small and pocketable setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread